The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #16
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunks
I started looking at the because that Foveon thing looks pretty sweet. But it's about a year old and somewhat expensive.
Technology for the Sigma Designs cameras have (more than one year) promised to be the future of digital cameras. However cannot even find one, yet even hear of anyone's experience.

One problem with many cameras are controls much like 'resetting the flashing VCR clock'. Once the procedure is figured out, then it makes sense - until you have to remember how to do it again. Instruction booklet often rather cryptic.

For example one digital camera would use automatic focus. But by the time focus set and picture was taken, the subject had already changed. IOW this camera would not constantly auto focus. It would only auto focus when button was partially pressed. But sometimes a partial press resulted in an accidental picture. To override auto focus was another 'relearning to reprogram the flashing VCR clock' and not always fast enough.

More to these cameras than just megapixels, flash memory, and zoom. Have yet to read a good review that takes in these little nuiances - including a user friendly (can be remembered and implemented fast) human interface. Some solve that confusion by not providing some options.

USB connections - a best designed function. However do all cameras connect and print to the Cannon printer - without computer interface?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:42 AM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Yah, I was wondering about that. Whats wrong with using a USB?
Old 12-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #18
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

I have an Olympus C 750 and love it.

I also just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC33 for my GF...erm exGF I suppose...birthday. (It's on Jan 3rd..would be really rude not to get anything...).

Anyway. I love the Olymus C 750. The best thing about it is that it takes AA batteries.

I refuse to get a camera that uses anything that is not standard. I don't care how small it is, if it uses propriatary batteries I don't want it. Reason 1: Expensive charger that may or may not work overseas. Reason 2: Expensive batteries with crap mha rating. Reason 3: Charger is USELESS to me except for the camera.

The xD memory on the C 750 is a bummer. It's about twice the price of SD media, but it's also much smaller.

I cannot complain about the C750 at all except the zoom and focus could be faster. But thats comming from somebody used to SLR cameras where the lens alone is $400.

You can find the C 750 for about $450 and the Panasonic for $220.

The reason I bought the Panasonic is the Leica lens and the fact that it's a simple point and shoot. Supposedly it does a very good job with the pictures although some complain that they can be a bit grainy....I'll find out soon enough. It should arrive today.
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 05:12 PM   #19
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

ConsumerREVIEW is another site with product reviews By Consumers For Consumers. Their biking communities are pretty active. It's a great place. This is one of their vertical sites:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com
Old 01-02-2004, 08:00 PM   #20
jaymar
Person Who Has Posted

Great camera, and good price!

If you are looking to upgrade, try this camera:

Sony DSC F717

I looked for months prior to purchasing. I finally found one that takes 5 mega pixels, and has several manual modes. The zoom is quite good, and this camera can be had for around $500 right now if you look around.

Check out my pics at:

http://www.photo.net/shared/communit...user_id=597241

I had to reduce the resolution to meet the site size criteria.

Write to me and I can tell you all you need to know about this camera.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #21
Pete
Resident President

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon, Skunks. But I have some questions too. I purposely bought a cheaper digital camera for my first one because I was sure I didn't yet know what I really wanted. Now (2 years later) I'm excited about the new Canon Digital EOS Rebel. I really like the idea of a digital SLR but I'm not sure if my reasons are legitamite and worth the extra cost. I want to be able to zoom and focus manually (without pressing a button and engaging a motor). And I like seeing the actual picture through the viewfinder. I will probably never change lenses, however. And you can't take videos with this camera (does anyone ever use this feature?). What is the big advantage of an SLR? Is there improved image quality?

Would I be just as well off with a non-SLR with a 10X optical zoom? Or should I just wait around until my savings and the cost of this camera meet up with eachother?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #22
jaymar
Person Who Has Posted

Canon EOS Dig Reb Vs. Sony DSC f717

Regarding Pete's post:

I would have recommended the Canon EOS, but I saw his price range. The Canon is way above the $$$ that are in range. If I decide to upgrade, it will be to this camera. It looks excellent and brings the cost of dig SLR way down. You can change lenses and do a lot that cannot be done with the Sony DSC. So it comes down to the almighty $ as usual.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #23
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Canon Powershot A70

I bought a Canon Powershot A70. I believe it was about $299 dollars when I got it with a $50 rebate in the form of a Best Buy gift card. es I took the pcitures at Plastic Forks with it.

3.2 megapixels, 3x optical zoom. It uses older technology, namely compactflash and 4 AA batteries. I prefer using NimH AA batteries in my devices to proprietary lithiums because I know I can walk into any store in a pinch and buy alkalines. Also, I can get two sets of batteries and a charger and not have to wait for a lithium to charge or spend top dollar for a second lithium.

As for beeps and clicks, the Powershot has themes where you can have different sounds or no sound for on/off, shutter, etc. It takes short AVI movie clips with sound. It has a panorama mode where you can shoot multiple pictures and part of the previous picture stays on the screen so you can interleave the new shot. The included software stitches the photos together. The software which downloads from the compactflash card (in camera or from the reader) also automatically creates folders by shooting date to organize your library.

Officemax usually has compactflash readers free after rebate. Get a 128MB compcactflash, a card reader, 2 sets of NimH and a charger, and you are set.

I also like the palm size tripods which are 3 4-inch gooseneck legs that can be bent into position.

As for digital prints, I have seen prices from 29 cents to 75 cents each for the same 4 inch digital prints. I think CVS is the cheapest right now. Get their free customer loyalty card which sometimes give additional discounts on digital developing.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote