xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Make a snowman.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #1082
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It didn't bite you in the ass. Your story rings a bell with everyone, we've all been there, and hopefully acted as wisely as you did.
Sarcasm noted, but, when you spread the buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit that thick it runs out the side of the sandwich.

Oh, I'll still eat it. It's what I was born to. Eating shit.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #1083
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nonsense, no bullshit. You made your point and didn't get into a fight or arrested. That is a win every time, everywhere.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #1084
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

The heat at my farm house went off when it was -2. I had checked the house the morning before, but it must have been cooling down then - just not enough to notice. Friday morning, 5 cracked radiators (the old cast iron ones built into the wall). Just had the $$@@!!??? furnace cleaned too. Going to just get heat going where we can next week, then wait until warmer weather to continue.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #1085
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Huge bummer, nowhereman.
What caused the boiler to fail, interrupted fuel, failed pump, electrical fault? Even at -2 ( I assume F, or -19 C) to break the radiators that fast is crazy, even in an un-insulated farm house. Like you said, it must have been cooling when you checked it. How did you discover the five were broken, frozen up with no heat means no water running crossed the room to tip you off. Hopefully you can prevent more damage by containing the water as it thaws.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #1086
Griff
still says videotape

awful
Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #1087
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Sorry nowhere man. That's harsh.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #1088
nowhereman

Don't know why it failed to start. Called the HVAC guy right away (the one who cleaned the furnace). We drained the system and I have a couple of heaters going. I could see his gears turning trying to figure out why it stopped. Simple matter of hitting the reset, but I didn't realize it was out. The radiators are set into the wall, and the back side is just the outside wall of the house, no insulation there. I'm supremely pissed, but it's done and I have to deal with it. They didn't leak much - we drained the system before they had a chance to thaw. Oh, and today I'm having a chimney liner installed at our main house. (Can I do a Kickstarter for life expenses...)
Old 01-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #1089
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's easy to understand why you're supremely, I think I'd add violently, viciously, Lannister pissed, myself. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #1090
nowhereman

Better than it could have been. Only 3 radiators are bad, trying to source replacements, these are the cast iron ones that set into the wall.Heat is back on, fingers crossed. The one good thing is that when they froze, they didn't leak water on the hardwood floors.
Sigh... just one more thing ...
Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 AM   #1091
glatt

Sorry you have to deal with this. I know they froze, but how did the radiators fail? Every one I've seen has threaded rod holding multiple cast iron segments tightly together. I'd imagine that when the water in one freezes and the ice expands, the damage might just be confined to one or two segments, and then the pressure would be relieved in the rest. But that's just a guess. Can they be repaired by just removing broken segments and making them a little shorter?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #1092
nowhereman

I would be afraid that by disassembling and reassembling these old radiators, it might cause even more problems. Still not sure why the furnace stopped.
The back side is just the uninsulated outside wall of the house, so the cold just came right through.

Last edited by nowhereman; 01-21-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #1093
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right, disassembling then trying to reassemble the corroded old sections, especially if they are threaded nipples, but even with the threaded rod and push nipples, is daunting.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #1094
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

After that discussion, what was pissing me off doesn't seem as dire. That's a good thing.

Figuring out how to live with a crazy man is alternately pissing me off and exhausting me. But hey, that's marriage. To those of you who eschew it, power to ye.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #1095
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
violently, viciously, Lannister pissed

Tags
limburger