The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 02-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hold on Garnet, before you whitewash, or in this case blackwash, the US Automobile Industry, twern't them.
This truck was developed as a working military vehicle. The guy in texas is buying them and outfitting them for Homeland Security applications.
As a possible profitable sideline he started another company that will trick out the same trucks for sale to individuals. They're optimistically hoping to sell 50 a year and it's likely most of those people would have need for a similar sized truck but desire and can afford a fancy one.
I think the number of people that buy one of these just for bragging rights is pretty small. A whole lot less than buy yachts.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krackel
I heard about this truck on the radio, they said it can withstand nuclear, biological, chemical, attacks... or "NBC-safe".........no joke.......

Does that mean it can withstand the new 50 caliber weapon; to be sold at your nearby wal-mart soon. I saw an exibition of this gun. It took this guy two shots at a thousand yards to shoot through a target which consisted of 2 inch steel. Bullet went right through the steel. He had never shot the gun previously. I'm not against a citizens rights to arms, but I do think this gun is taking it a little to far.... Unless you need to shoot a Humvee at a thousand yards. However, if it can withstand nuclear attacks; I'm really asking a dumb question.... Better get to work......North Korea, Iran, Syria. Just to name a few. Main concern of the government is the ability of terrorist to shoot down Jets taking off or landing at your local airport. I'm not sure of the company but you can legally purchace one of these weapons in the u.s today.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:05 PM   #18
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Regardless of the company, it's very difficult to regulate civvie to civvie sales of legal firearms, much less illegal sales.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 PM   #19
Brown Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Regardless of the company, it's very difficult to regulate civvie to civvie sales of legal firearms, much less illegal sales.
I agree. It still scares me though. I know what my little 380 will do. This is a weapon that makes a m-16/ AK47 look like a pump B.B gun I had at 10........
Old 02-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #20
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

One thing will keep too many of them out of most people's hands, price. They run about $7k.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The m-16 and ak-47(74) are designed for different scenarios.
The .50 took two shots to penetrate the steel? There are already weapons out there that will do it in one, so why worry about this one.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Hold on Garnet, before you whitewash, or in this case blackwash, the US Automobile Industry, twern't them.
Point taken, Bruce. But the US auto industry HAS lagged behind Japanese and other makers in developing and producing hybrids. IMO, they deserve the blackwash regardless.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, ok.
I thought it was interesting that Car & Driver claims the Accord Hybrid is a better car in EVERY way except price, than the standard Accord.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #24
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Yep, the .50 cals as someone said, are 7K+, have NEVER been used in a crime (yeah, going to walk up with a 5+ ft long, 40 lb rifle), and you have to realize it's going to cost you something like $3 every time you pull the trigger

They are a rich mans toy. BTW The Barrett rifle (the one the Military uses) was developed for civilian use FIRST - the military saw them and said "hey, now that's a good idea", and started buying them
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #25
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
One thing will keep too many of them out of most people's hands, price. They run about $7k.
"Yeah, it's an .88 magnum, it shoots through schools!" (quote from a movie I don't remember the name of. Anybody?)

This new one by Barrett is half that price. Of course, I want one!

Quote:
Barrett M99 (Big Shot)
- Optical sight mount
- Air/Watertight carrying case
- Cleaning equipment
- Detachable bipod with adjustable legs
- Scope and Rings Priced Separately
- Retail Price $3,410.00
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2005, 09:26 AM   #26
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error
"Yeah, it's an .88 magnum, it shoots through schools!" (quote from a movie I don't remember the name of. Anybody?)
It's Joe Piscopo (who remembers him?) in Johnny Dangerously.

"You shouldn't hang me on a hook Johnny. My mother hung me on a hook once."
Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #27
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
It's Joe Piscopo (who remembers him?) in Johnny Dangerously.

"You shouldn't hang me on a hook Johnny. My mother hung me on a hook once."
Oh yeah! Thanks, TS! That was bugging me cause I loved that movie. Now I gotta go rent it and watch it again.

*Piscopo shoots his partner while cleaning his gun, "Oh, sorry. Did I gitcha?" *
Old 02-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #28
Brown Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The m-16 and ak-47(74) are designed for different scenarios.
The .50 took two shots to penetrate the steel? There are already weapons out there that will do it in one, so why worry about this one.

Maybe, I mistated my point. The guy shooting the rifle took two shots to hit the target because he had never fired it before. The shot that hit the target wnt through the two inch steel plate. I don't know of any rifles out there that can shoot through a steel plate the size of a 5 gallon bucket at a thousand yards. Also, the weapons of anykind, that I am aware of that could do the same damage are not being sold legally. You are right about one thing the m-16 and ak-47 were meant to shoot people usually one at a time. they were not meant to shoot down airplanes. I think that the cost will keep any law abiding person from just having to have one. However, I'm not sure about hostiles foreign or otherwise that do have the means. I'm realy no more worried about this weapon than I am having another terrorist attack on our country.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I follow you, but terrorists aren't concerned about legal and to take down an airplane with a bullet would be damn near impossible. I can't think of anything you could hit that would cause a catastrophic failure on approach or takeoff.
It would scare the bejesus out of them though.