The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #10246
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

For his business. He and his wife have a great business model and this booth is something never before seen until a couple years ago. It benefits the camping folks' campers. Don't want to get into too much detail, but I'll be helping scheduling and collecting money.

He and his brilliant wife (who makes a ton in her own career) started this business I don't know exactly how many years ago and they are kickin' ass and takin' names. So successful! I'm happy to get to help out. And I love my county fair. Always have, always will.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #10247
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

County fair! Coming up here in smalltown in the next couple of weeks. I'm arranging for some Occ Med space and will be there every minute I can, selling the practice. I'll get to listen in on the headliners they get for concerts, and spend a couple of days glad-handing. Smalltown is small. I need to be recognizable.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #10248
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Just got home to find that the Cowboys are playing on the NFL channel.

Pre season, and no Romo, but hey. Bonus
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #10249
nowhereman
sliding down the razor blade of life

Heading out to help clean up our beekeeper's association display room for the upcoming Brooklyn (CT) fair. It's the oldest fair in the country - I'll be there spreading the "buzz" about beekeeping.
Also, got a call about a swarm in a tree locally. Went over and grabbed about 6 lbs of bees and hived them up. Hopefully they will stick around.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #10250
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
snip--
Also, got a call about a swarm in a tree locally. Went over and grabbed about 6 lbs of bees and hived them up. Hopefully they will stick around.
nice! tha's got to be like finding forgotten honey in the pocket of pants you haven't worn for awhile... or something.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #10251
glatt

Just got back from the Arlington County fair, and they had a cool beekeeper display with a live hive in plexiglass. Pretty cool. Lots of honey varieties to buy too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #10252
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I have a few days to myself. That's always appreciated.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #10253
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You'll just violate your privacy and personal space while arguing with yourself over what you want to do next, while you want to relax.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #10254
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I did my first day's training (well, morning really: 9-1) for a work from home telesales job. I'm still a little wary my internet connection is going to go shaky again and put the kibosh on it - but so far it it' doing ok :p

It's using bespoke software that dials your number (when you prompt ) you pick up and you're connected to the system - all the calls are then done through their internet telephone setup and nothing goes on your bill.

It's raising money for a charity. So far they seem very ethical and not at all like the hard-pushing, salesey, pestery companies that just try and get the figures in at all costs. (we were for instance told that if we have any doubts about a call where they are going for it, but you maybe get the impression that they don;t understand what they're committing to, or may have issues such as senility or what have you, either take the commitment and then email straight to the team leader so they can listen to the call and assess it and if necessary halt the order whilst it's still in progress - or better still don't take the commitment - if in doubt don't take it - they also don't call at weekends or back holidays, or at all during the Christmas season.).

It's an air ambulance service we're raising money for - and they are all warm or semi-warm contacts.

I'm committed to 10 hours a week - which should just about replace the part time teaching wage I no longer have coming in! But once my thesis is submitted assuming I've done ok with calls and am still with them (;p) I can increase that to about 25 hours if I want.

Not the best paid telesales job, but nowhere near the worst and they seem like a decent set up. I'll take the lower rate and not have to deal with insane pressure and unethical practices over high pay and high pressure.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #10255
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
It's an air ambulance service we're raising money for... .
Well done, Dani. I support the local Air Ambulance and, quite frankly, it's a disgrace that they have to be funded by charitable contributions, sponsorship etc and don't receive any 'official' funding.

Not trying to do you out of a job, honest!

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #10256
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The Digr Clan is in an annual membership to the 'local' air ambulance service (strictly a commercial endeavor). If any of us require an air med-evac, we don't get billed for the chopper or the crew. The membership is $150 a year.

Their minimum transportation fee is $7500.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #10257
glatt

My FIL just got a bill for his 6 week ICU stay. It was $165K and included a pacemaker surgery, among many other things. His portion? Only $1,200.

That's amazing to me.

It's like my medical care in reverse. I get about $100/year of services and pay like $10K.

I wouldn't trade places with him though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #10258
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My FIL just got a bill for his 6 week ICU stay. It was $165K and included a pacemaker surgery, among many other things. His portion? Only $1,200.

That's amazing to me.

It's like my medical care in reverse. I get about $100/year of services and pay like $10K.

I wouldn't trade places with him though.
Does the insurance company exclude certain conditions at the next annual renewal if they think that they have already paid out enough?

Presumably they put some sort of cash limit on various conditions from the start of cover?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #10259
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Insurance is a complete waste of money...

...til you need it that first time.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #10260
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Does the insurance company exclude certain conditions at the next annual renewal if they think that they have already paid out enough?

Presumably they put some sort of cash limit on various conditions from the start of cover?
They used to do stuff like that all the time. Obamacare put a stop to most of that crap.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote