Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #5176
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
I just pictured you standing up and doing this.
Good cause I totally did!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #5177
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Actually, that's a myth about the animal charities.
[snip]

I don't know for sure about the laws regulating transport of animals versus transport of humans, but at a guess I'd say that is also more than likely a myth. A bit like the idea that the manufacturing process of animal food is more tightly regulated than human food. I also suspect that those that do exist are not great, easily bypassed and badly enforced.
Yeah, you know I got that info from sources I usually despise, so I will hold my hands up and say it's most likely wrong.

But anyone who has been on the Tube in rush hour does think "Isn't there a law against this?!"

My first thought when the London Underground bombs hit was "Well, they'd have had more victims if they got up earlier!"
Of course as it unfolded I was distressed and sickened. Hurt badly, it brought back all the old worries and stress.

But that really was my initial thought, because they hit at 08.50.
I used to get on the Tube at 07.45.
And boarding at Leyton I couldn't get a seat until Oxford Circus.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #5178
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Minifob wants to do Cub Scouts. Really, really wants to do it. I tried very hard to talk him out of it and/or distract him until the obsession passed, but it didn't work. We officially signed up tonight, and already they're trying to make us be den leaders and shit. I am dreading every aspect of this whole experience.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #5179
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Maybe you could be the GFCF den?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #5180
Clodfobble

I did think about forming our own just so we wouldn't have to deal with other people. But then it's harder to quit when Minifob (hopefully) decides he wants to drop out.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #5181
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
We officially signed up tonight, and already they're trying to make us be den leaders and shit.
Tell 'em you're gay.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #5182
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I feel your pain Clod. I feel that way about most of the activities my kids are involved in, mostly because they do try to force you to do stuff you don't want to do or don't have time to do, or even object to for various reasons.

If you pay the fees, and buy the uniforms and help out when you can, that should be enough. You shouldn't have these 'goody' Mums and Dads making you feel guilty because you don't want to totally immerse your family in their particular activity of choice. Most clubs/teams have at least one parent like that who runs things. These parents are born with a built in ability to make you feel like shit for saying no. These parents should be avoided at all costs. These parents sometimes need a beat down in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #5183
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Kept having nightmares and kept tossing all night. Finally couldn't sleep anymore but I'm bored. My hands are shaky and I'm still coughing. Doc said I have a touch of bronchitis.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #5184
glatt

Quote:
already they're trying to make us be den leaders and shit.
Yeah, if you find it getting harder and harder to dodge that bullet, try to get the treasurer job. It takes about 2 hours a month and then when they look to you to take on jobs you can say "No. I'm the treasurer." Do not do the den leader job. A good one will take 4 hours a week or so, and much more when there are events going on. It's a lot of work.

Last edited by glatt; 05-03-2013 at 09:09 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #5185
Clodfobble

That's funny you say that. Their treasurer is leaving, and they were really hyping the need for a treasurer last night.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #5186
glatt

There's a chance they may expect the treasurer to also do the rechartering. Rechartering is a big job each January. It's usually done by a committee chair or the pack leader. You don't want to get stuck doing rechartering. But the regular treasurer role of writing checks and generating a monthly report is easy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #5187
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Minifob wants to do Cub Scouts. I am dreading every aspect of this whole experience.
It's not so bad. And great for him. Which I know you know, which is why you're being a good Mama and going along with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Tell 'em you're gay.
Tell them you work shifts. If you're going to lie best make it about something everyone understands. Like MONEY. (I did get the humour in Pete's response though.)
Or tell them the truth. You work freelance, have children and stepchildren, a drinking problem that makes you incontinent in liquor stores and therefore can never guarantee your presence. No-one wants to take on someone that unreliable, right? Okay, it's not really the truth, but you gotta make your lies as close to the truth as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Kept having nightmares and kept tossing all night. Finally couldn't sleep anymore but I'm bored. My hands are shaky and I'm still coughing. Doc said I have a touch of bronchitis.
Poor baby.
I know what a sledgehammer lack of sleep is. And night terrors.
I used to have "two o' clock in the morning" thoughts when I couldn't sleep and life was wretched. Thanks to addiction, withdrawal, depression - rinse, repeat - they're now "four o'clock in the morning" thoughts.

Life can be sucky when you can't even lose yourself behind your own eyelids.

Chin up, darling. This too shall pass.
I had bronchitis too. And more that just a touch. I was grateful for my diagnosis though, it went on for so long and sounded so bad I feared cancer. I cleared lifts, supermarket queues and public toilets with my fearsome phlegmy cough. And sadly was too ill to even enjoy it properly.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #5188
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

Old 05-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #5189
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Despicable little bastards.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #5190
Ocean's Edge
is a beach

they are, and they're seriously harshing my mellow as I attempt to commune with nature and nuture a few fruits and vegetables

Tags
mild cheddar