The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #31
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Look...as a fellow human, I have to advise you of this much. You're coming off rather superior in your posts throughout the board. Most people here are going to find that to be darkly humorous at best, and offensive at worst.

You'll make no converts here, nor will you find opponents whom you will deem worthy of your apparently dizzying intellect. Now, if simple, heartfelt online buddies is what you want, you're in the right place. If you want snobbery and intellectual elitism, Oxford probably has a nice chat group or something, really.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #32
rkzenrage

I have been surprised at how few stand-up for personal property rights and personal accountability.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
I have been surprised at how few stand-up for personal property rights and personal accountability.
It reflects society generally though. You and I see the erosion of private property rights / personal responsibility as a serious breech of the dike of civilization but America has been training its citizens against our quaint notion for generations. It seems inevitable that democracy will succomb to the passions of the grasping and responsibility shifting.

The Cellar has more tolerance for free speech than many places, is that our universal value?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #34
Ibby
erika

Either that or just plain love and tolerance of, well, speech in general. I mean really, would any of us really be here if we didnt all love talking?
Old 07-10-2006, 06:53 PM   #35
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
It reflects society generally though. You and I see the erosion of private property rights / personal responsibility as a serious breech of the dike of civilization but America has been training its citizens against our quaint notion for generations. It seems inevitable that democracy will succomb to the passions of the grasping and responsibility shifting.

The Cellar has more tolerance for free speech than many places, is that our universal value?
How tolerant are we of those who are racists or anti-Semitic? That is tolerant as well... if we don't tolerate them we can't change their point of view. I know this because I have done it. They thrive on the feeling of being ostracized. I have recently seen a great deal of intolerance in this area a few times in here. Hating them just makes us what they are.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #36
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I value UT and Brianna's way of communicating.

Quote:
How tolerant are we of those who are racists or anti-Semitic? That is tolerant as well... if we don't tolerate them we can't change their point of view. I know this because I have done it. They thrive on the feeling of being ostracized. I have recently seen a great deal of intolerance in this area a few times in here. Hating them just makes us what they are.

That might do in real life. In real life we don't have many open mouths spouting their views almost simultaneously. This is like someones house. There is a certain standard the person that owns the house wants to keep. Do you want those people comming into your real life house and graffiti swasticas on your walls?

I am in a hurry so that wasn't probably a good example
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:03 AM   #37
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

Quote:
I can only speak for me, but I don't come here to battle hate-mongering nitwits. Or to gently persuade them. There's a thousand different forums out there with people who are chock full of hateful and extremist views, if I should get a hankering to walk on the weird side. It's interesting to see other points of view, but this is not so much a public street as it is a... coffee shop with no coffee... and I don't know about you, but I'd be upset if a group of neo-nazi's or gang-bangers staked out my favorite hang-out place, not because they have no right to be there, but simply because there's a time and a place to have to deal with the ninnies of human nature. The cellar is not necessarily that place for most of us, I think. (I pretty much just took Skysidhe's point and rehashed it, didn't I... )
We could almost, in fact, change the cellar's tag-line to: "The Cellar. 99% Asshole Free." (Unless you're talking about funny assholes, of course; that's different. People pay to listen to funny assholes.)

I come here to deal with intelligent, reasonable, funny people, most of whom seem to have a good deal of common sense- and whose opinions differ from mine, often, but not to the point where I reject them out of hand (e.g., declarations of racial superiority of any sort... except the Jews. Israel rules.) Unless you're highly charismatic and articulate, you've got to have a little in common with someone, be able to build up the trust, before you start the brainwashing.

Which reminds me, the membership drive for the Freemormons has started. Check your free will at the door, please.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #38
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
This is like someones house. There is a certain standard the person that owns the house wants to keep. Do you want those people comming into your real life house and graffiti swasticas on your walls?

I am in a hurry so that wasn't probably a good example
No that was a great example. You made the little light bulb turn on over my head. It actually explains a lot, I think.

Why we tolerate diverse views - maybe not extreme views, but diverse.
As a culture we act, or come to act as a guest in UT's web site.

Why did the rowdy AGers upset the oldtimers - If someone crashes your dinner party and starts walking on the tables and insulting guest, you'd be upset too. I think someone actually made a comment along this line at the time.

Why is UT tired - He doesn't just host the cellar, he is the host (of the virtual dinner party). That's tiring.

So now I wonder if UT planned this or if it happened organically?

I suspect someone could make a doctoral dissertation out of analysing this and how the environment was created.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #39
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Why did the rowdy AGers upset the oldtimers - If someone crashes your dinner party and starts walking on the tables and insulting guest, you'd be upset too. I think someone actually made a comment along this line at the time.
Who did I upset? And I beg your pardon, I am not rowdy. I don't think I've insulted anyone since I've been here... but I could be wrong.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #40
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlternateGray
Who did I upset? And I beg your pardon, I am not rowdy. I don't think I've insulted anyone since I've been here... but I could be wrong.
AudioGalaxy, not AlternateGray.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #41
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

For a second there, I felt important. In a naughty sort of way.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #42
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Heh, sorry 'bout that.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #43
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Call it a preemptive headbutt. You're a bigot, and full of yourself. You won't be here for the long term. You're here to make enemies. Just leave now and save yourself a lot of time and us a lot of trouble.
Y'know, I think someone did a swap on the original Buddug who showed up in this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddug
I enjoyed these two days talking with you all immensely . You are kind , and full of humour and complexity . Lovely people . [...] Thank you for putting up with me . All the best to you all , and thank you once again
Anna ( my real name) xxxxxx
Is it just me, or has Buddug changed a bit?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe it's a tag team.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #45
AlternateGray
red-shirt guy

Weird. Just downright weird. The punctuation has stayed the same, but aside from that, has anyone savvy noticed a change in grammar or anything? Maybe it's her husband... Nah.