|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #32
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Gay bashing seems pretty popular.
As long as noone mentions Mary Cheyney. It does seem like they're getting ready to start handing out pink triangles.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #33
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Oh, no. When Alan Keyes called her a selfish hedonist, there was no problem. It was only Kerry who wasn't allowed to mention her.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #34
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Broken Promise?

Quote:
MEXICO CITY, Nov. 9 -- Secretary of State Colin L. Powell gave Mexican officials a sober report Tuesday on the prospects of winning congressional approval to grant legal status to millions of undocumented aliens in the United States. He said President Bush (news - web sites) would place a "high priority" on pushing his stalled plan through Congress, but he said he did not want to "overpromise" success.

Bush unveiled the plan 10 months ago, but it received a lukewarm reception on Capitol Hill and the administration made little effort to promote it during the election year. In last week's election, Bush received about 44 percent of the Hispanic vote, up from 35 percent in 2000, exit polls indicated. Mexican President Vincente Fox has made it clear that he hopes to seize the moment to achieve an agreement on migration.
Let's see, Bush's party, which pretty much votes in lockstep with him, won't let him fulfill the promise he made to Hispanic voters to help win the election? And he can't do anything about it? Riiiiiiiiiight.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:14 PM   #35
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

How well could you do if you were given control over your own Social Security money?
Quote:
Larry Lindsey, Bush's tutor on economics during the campaign and later chairman of the White House's National Economic Council, devised a scheme based on creative accounting principles. Essentially, it proposed that the government would issue substantial new debt to sustain old-style benefits. This debt would be serviced and paid down by confiscating revenues from the higher returns from those opting for new-style personal accounts.
Only as well as the government says you can. What if you have lower returns instead of higher ones? Too bad, you chose to manage your own money.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 11-11-2004, 10:36 PM   #36
atropos
random twisted fate to the second power

Reliability on Social Security income is not enough to suffice an average two person retirement income....Anyone so naive who chooses to rely on something so obviously unstable deserves what they get! Why should the rest of us have to pay unilaterally for the mistakes of the few?
atropos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

OH...I see how this is going to work!

Everyone invests their SS money in relatively safe accounts, like a 401k type fund. Then, the market goes South again in a big way, and all that SS money bleeds out of people's individual accounts and into the pockets of the already rich, right? Sweet.

I'm somewhat skeptical of this deal since I had $15,000.00 in a 401k, *very* conservatively invested, that got turned into $6,000.00 thanks to the dotcom bust.

Yeah, I'm sure Dubya's supporters are salivating at the thought of getting their hands on all that cash somehow.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:40 AM   #38
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But Els, how far away from retiring are you? Unless it's in the next few years, you shouldn't worry--the market will go up again (and down again, and up again...)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:51 AM   #39
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Everyone invests their SS money in relatively safe accounts, like a 401k type fund. Then, the market goes South again in a big way, and all that SS money bleeds out of people's individual accounts and into the pockets of the already rich, right? Sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
But Els, how far away from retiring are you? Unless it's in the next few years, you shouldn't worry--the market will go up again (and down again, and up again...)
Sounds like unconsented, financial blood-letting.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote