FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Hadn't heard of the movie so I googled it. Came up with this review and a pretty good site, it seems.
From:http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/e...y-ass-lady.php
I haven't seen the movie as it's not being released here til 7 October. I'm not going to read any reviews yet as I want to make up my own mind about if the film does the book justice. However, the book had a lot of stuff that resonated with a lot of women which has some value.

I haven't spent any time in India or Italy, but quite a bit of the stuff that she wrote about Bali where I have spent time working (although the limited time that I spent there doesn't give me much authority in terms of making cultural assessments) seemed to be pretty spot on in terms of her interactions with the friend who she assisted with buying land. She starts off with the "Balinese are beautiful, peaceloving smiling people". No doubt there is quite alot of truth in this, but as with everything, there is also the other side which is stated by Felipe when the Balinese friend took ages and ages to actually decide on a piece of land to buy: "she's fucking with you".

Cross-thread to the Razzamatazz13 The Engaged Edition. Have just finished reading "This is not the story you think it is" by Laura Munson-also a memoir and intensely personal-some would say, not stuff that should be released to the public, specially given that she is still married to the person in question. What's interesting is that this author had written 13 novels prior to this one, none of which had been accepted for publishing. When she published an article, I think it was in the New York times, of what is now an excerpt of the book, there was a huge reponse from readers. It would seem that when an author writes something that hits a nerve with a large number of people, this is what launches their career to new heights, so we could look at both these books in terms of "look at me, look at me" (authors should have kept the not insignificant issues in their personal lives to themselves) or they could be considered disseminators of information that has served its purpose in terms of giving other people in parallel or partially parallel situations ideas about what action to take next which is then exceedingly useful in their own lives.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar