The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-11-2003, 06:07 PM   #1
perth
Strong Silent Type

prague, the czech one.

has anyone ever visited? see, my brother-in-law is marrying a girl from the czech republic, and so we decided that as long as were going there for the wedding, we might as well make a vacation out of it. were planning on taking a trip to sedlec ossuary, mentioned in this thread. bur beyond that, we really have no idea what to go see.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:24 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Lonely Planet

Never been, looks cool though.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:02 AM   #3
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Beautiful city! I was there Dec 2000. I took a train from Dresden to Prague, and sat next to some guys from Hungary. The CZ border patrol wouldn't let them in the country, and made them exit at the first station outside Prague. The woman that shared the cab with us thought their story was a little fishy as well. The only thing I found odd was their smell.

I stayed in a hostel just outside Wencelas square (home of the Velvet Revolution). I don't remember the name of the place, but I'll dig through my travel stuff to see if I can find it.

Prague is the original home of Budwar (aka Budweiser). Adolf Miller-Weiser (Anheiser-Busch) stole the name from them some time ago, and marketed it here in the states. When Budwar tried to export to the US, they had legal problems, and had to market under Budwar-Pils. I think the CZ stuff is mounds better (they've been doing it for a while longer). We sat in a neiborhood pub one night and drank until they kicked us out. It wasn't hard to get hammered because the beers were about 40 Krona (15¢) at the time.

I would recommend taking a walking tour. This was something that I neglected to do, but I did catch quite a bit from them in passing.

The Old Square was wonderful, and you have to watch the clock on the hour.

The bridge that connects Old Town and New Town across the Charles River is beautiful. Some of the statues are almost as old as the bridge (c 1200, IIRC).

I have no idea what the place will look like after the floods they had last year. I understand they took quite a toll on the city and many artifacts of history.

I'll see if I can get to some more details later.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 11:31 AM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

fortunately, we dont have to worry about a place to stay, as the bride-to-be's family will provide us a place.

the walking tour sounds great, and we will definitely do that. the castle griff linked to looks fascinating, so we will probably check that out too.

my father-in-law mentioned visiting dresden while were there, which i would like to do, but not if its too long a trip. were already planning on having a long layover in london so we can at least see the tower of london. my problem is that were only really going to be gone for a week, and while i want to see as much as possible, i dont want to get into trying to do to much. in my experience, that can ruin a vacation.

~james

edit: should have mentioned that we will be there in late june, so that may affect what we can and cannot see.

Last edited by perth; 03-12-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

If your timetable is June, you should be able to see everything, including other tourists. It sounds like you'll have the best tour guides in the land at your disposal. Soak them for all they know.
The train from Dresden to Prague was about 3 hours. I think it cost me about 30 smackers R/T. Not a bad price, but I bought it in Germany. I have no idea what prices in CZ are like.
Watch out for pickpockets and thieves, but you'll run into them anytime/anywhere you look like you're out of your element. I had a guy try to sell me a phone card because for an outrageous amount. Actually, he claimed to be helping me by selling just a few minutes at a time, rather than making me buy the whole card. (What a guy!) I declined until I realized that he had plugged the coin slots of all the payphones with slugs. Fortunately, I found a fellow American that was willing to help me out, and let me borrow her card to call the hostel.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
perth
Strong Silent Type

sadly, james big czech adventure has fallen through, mostly because i couldnt get the week off work i wanted. but as a consolation prize...

im taking the week after that off and going to england! i lived there for a couple years when i was younger (10-12 years old), and its a great opportunity to go see things i can barely remember, as well as take my wife to see some of where i grew up.

were going to stay in stratford-upon-avon (shakespeares birthplace) and visit as many castles as humanly possible. so while im disappointed that i wont be seeing the sedlec ossuary (yet), i am very pleased to be taking this vacation.

~james
Old 05-03-2003, 11:13 PM   #7
okzhanglu
Recruit or Something

there is a movie

about this city prague, I don't remember the name, something like Prague love
okzhanglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:55 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Were you thinking of The Unbearable Lightness of Being? I think that was set in Prague.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

are there any cellarites who live in england, preferably in or near warwickshire? ive got some questions you might be able to help with.

~james
Old 05-05-2003, 04:31 AM   #10
okzhanglu
Recruit or Something

thanx Girff

Thanx Griff
Bingo! The Unbearable Lightness of Being , That's what I was talking about! I didn't know the english name of that movie. In chinese, though, it's like Prague Love. Thanx again!
okzhanglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Warwickshire is my ancient ancestral home, even though I have never been..Say hellooooo.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

James, don't forget to swing over there.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Re: thanx Girff

Quote:
Originally posted by okzhanglu
Thanx Griff
Bingo! The Unbearable Lightness of Being , That's what I was talking about! I didn't know the english name of that movie. In chinese, though, it's like Prague Love. Thanx again!
I can't imagine trying to translate that title...
Old 05-06-2003, 12:53 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

There is a story (probably debunked on snopes.com) about a translation mishap. There was a novel that was translated into Chinese, with the character names being assigned symbols with similar pronouciations to the English names. When someone (why the heck would they do it, which is why the story rings false) translated the novel BACK into English, one of the character names became the sentence "My son has permission to tie the hermaphrodite to the Buddhist nun."

(I don't care if it's true or not, it made me laugh)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote