The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-18-2002, 03:06 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

can i have a "do-over" for this week?

Some of you know this already.

Let me start by saying that I'm basically okay.

BUT

If you are in the philly area, you may have seen news reports about a psych hospital that got evacuated last weekend (Nov 10)?

That was my hospital. I was working. It was significantly less than fun.

I thought that would be it for excitement for the week.

As usual, I was wrong.

A patient attacked me on Friday night, November 15. I was closing the exam room door on him after an interview and he leaped at me.

During the fight, my left hand was broken. Something they call a "boxer's fracture". (For those of you wanting/needing the technical details, it's a spiral fracture of the fourth metacarpal).

I was seen today by the orthopedic surgeon. So far we are going with the "conservative" treatment plan. That means they put a cast on it and we wait to see what happens. If it doesn't put itself back together, then I may have to have surgery. (Two surgeries, one to install the hardware, one to take it out.)

I'm typing one handed for the time being, so I'll be slower than usual in responding.

Thanks for any and all thoughts and prayers.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:36 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That sucks!

Some weird sychronicity, I offer you Pearl the dog. She was staying at a dog kennel during our vacation, and on Friday morning they found her limping. It turns out she pulled a ligament while playing with some other dogs, and her one leg had to be immobilized.

You two are unhappy missing your bum paws.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

but at least Pearl got a pretty pink cast ... mine's just kinda off-white (if they have to remove it for any reason I think I will demand purple ...)

On my own personal upside ... unlike Pearl, I won't fall over when I try to pee...

As a total aside ... Pearl's looking mighty white for a boston ... does she have any hearing problems? (Friends of mine just got a male boston puppy ... is miss pearl looking fer a boyfriend by any chance?) Yah, that's me ... amateur dog pimp. I don't have an opposable thumb right now, so I have to find something with which to amuse myself.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Last edited by wolf; 11-18-2002 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:53 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well now that might depend on whether yer cast is on yer wipin' hand or yer pants-holdin' hand.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Well now that might depend on whether yer cast is on yer wipin' hand or yer pants-holdin' hand.
Pants holding.
Pants unbuttoning and refastening was an interesting challenge today (am considering switching to skirts or sweats for the next 6 weeks).
Belt undoing. (see above)

It also turns out to be the hand I use for:
steering wheel holding while shifting (there is no public transit option for me ... I think a close to two hour bus ride might get me TO work, but the busses stop running around 11 pm)
stabilizing the yarn and half finished piece while crocheting (this could NOT have happened at a worse time. I have too many pregnant friends. I have baby blankets to make dammit!)
typing
holding the fork while cutting (I'll be eating a lot of chicken fingers and pasta over the next 6 weeks ...)
racking the slide. (yes, i figured a way around this one already.)

I am TOTALLY bummed out over my newfound inability to play Playstation 2 Games (or PSone, or Nintend64 for that matter). I JUST BOUGHT GTA:VICE CITY AND HITMAN2 DAMMIT!!!!!

LIFE IS SOOO UNFAIR!!!!!

A WORD OF WARNING: Never take your opposable thumbs for granted. they are indeed miraculous.

Old 11-18-2002, 05:52 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On the other question: I too have heard that the white "overmarking" of an eye is connected with the gene for deafness in Bostons; but Pearl hears fine. I think there are two recessive genes at work in Pearl. One made her body white; the other only covered one eye in black. I've seen many more white Bostons with two black-covered eyes.

But Pearl is not a breeder, she is spayed. This injury means she's not a good choice for breeding anyway; it might mean that her knee went out, a "luxating patella", which at age 3 is much too young for such a problem.
Old 11-18-2002, 05:54 PM   #7
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Man-oh-man, that sucks a lot.

I assume you're talking about Building 50 at Norristown State? We live right down the road from there, on Whitehall Road. We heard all the EMS equipment being dispatched up there, and then turned on fire low-band recievers to try to figure out what was up.

If there's anything we could do that might help you out, let us know. I know your public transit options are kinda sucky. I'm sending you my phone number in a private message; it might help out to have somebody local (and I mean I live literally 5 minutes away from there) who could give you a ride to someplace if you get in a jam.

Us goils who beleive in RKBA need to stick togther...:-)

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #8
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That sucks wolf...I vaguely heard about the evacuation, but the broken hand...hope it heals quickly!

I've been suffering from some malady for almost a month now. Spent 6 hours last Monday in the ER...useless. Prescription-strength Ibuprofen is helping for the moment...cause still unknown, though diabetes, hypertension, and renal failure have been ruled out. Hopefully I'll find out more in the next few days.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 09:22 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Us goils who beleive in RKBA need to stick togther...:-)
Thanx for the offer. I'm hoping that any transport will be handled through work (we have an ambulance).

However ... know that i know how close you are, we will definitely have to get together at some point!

Old 11-18-2002, 10:33 PM   #10
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

However ... know that i know how close you are, we will definitely have to get together at some point!
Just say when...:-)

Old 11-18-2002, 11:04 PM   #11
Bitman
cellar smellar

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I JUST BOUGHT GTA:VICE CITY AND HITMAN2 DAMMIT!!!!!
You kids and your silly game pads. In my day, our joysticks actually included a stick!

Seriously, if you have some cash that needs disposing, you might look into one of those big joystick platforms designed for kung-fu-fireball fighting games. They rest on a flat surface (TV tray or lap) and only need a palm and some fingers to work.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:32 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Bummer, make sure you follow up on treatment, the finger I thought I'd sprained a month back was probably broken seeing how the nail is turned a bit more toward the ring finger than its mirror on the other hand. A do-over is complicated requiring a mastery of quantum physics, which I'm still working on. Maybe you and Maggie should just go over to the range and work on squeezing them off one handed, in case I can't harness a wormhole.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:17 AM   #13
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Maybe you and Maggie should just go over to the range and work on squeezing them off one handed, in case I can't harness a wormhole.
Weak-hand and strong-hand-only should be part of any defensive handgun practice, just like slowflight and stalls should be part of any flying practice.

Of course, that doesn't mean I actually *do* any of that much. But I should. ;-)

Old 11-19-2002, 11:43 AM   #14
Beestie Boy
Recruit or Something

Ouch...

I fell off the roof last year and fell straight down on the deck landing on my outstretched right hand causing all sorts of medieval damage. After a while I got real good at changing my then 18 month old with one hand and using the left hand for.. well. anyway, it takes getting used to if you are determined to not let it get in your way.

Whatever you do, work your therapy. I didn't and now my right hand will barely bend up and down which sucks.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:51 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitman
You kids and your silly game pads. In my day, our joysticks actually included a stick!

Oooh! Bitman called me a kid!!! How exciting and wonderful!!!! If I didn't already have other plans I might offer you a proposal of marriage ... (This "kid" is old enough to remember the premiere of the Odyssey Game System ... And I was thinking fondly of the days when a joystick consisted of a stick and a button.)