The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #271
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
having been rejected for admission to Cooperstown
I already had no respect for professional baseball. Now, I have even less.

While I'm not so familiar with the KC Negro leagues, I learned much about the Atlanta Negro league team and the injustice after injustice those men suffered.

And now this?

Fuck baseball forever. I mean it.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #272
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

One of the single worst PR moves MLB has ever made. I believe that Buck will eventually make it to Cooperstown, but he won't be able to attend the ceremony.

Buck is someone who I believe will still be present in Spirit, though. What a guy.

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is here in KC, the cornerstone of a long running revival effort in the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District. Our team was the Monarchs, and the history of this and the other Negro Leagues teams is rich and fascinating.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM   #273
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Isn't the MLB Hall of Fame voting done by sports writers/casters. MLB puts up a list of candidates and then they vote on one or maybe a couple players, and the top so many vote getters are in? Theoretically not voting against anybody, just for somebody else. And beyond the control of MLB, pretty much.

I'd say Buck (with a little help from Burns) did a hell of a promotion job, considering the number of Negro League shirts, hats and paraphernalia, I see.

Of course he couldn't help being an outstanding player, being trained by the Yankees.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #274
Elspode

You're correct about the voting procedure, Bruce, but I think there's an ad hoc or at-large (or something like that) selection possibility as well. I could be wrong.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #275
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basebal...loting%2C_2006

The process is a lot more complicated than I thought, with committees doing several elections in different categories, some on even or odd years.
Typical modern complicating of the simple game Buck O'Neill stood for.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #276
Elspode

What was overlooked, tragically overlooked, was the fact that we had a bona fide, living, breathing legend who, by all accounts, was one of the finest examples of a human being, let alone baseball player, who could have been recognized.

Baseball is about much more than performance. It is the quintessential American game, a part of our culture. Someone like Buck, who spent his last decade as perhaps the finest emmisary the game ever had, deserves enshrinement because he was not only a great player, but a great scout, a great administrator, and - goddamn it - a great person.

In a world of steroidal cheating, salaries that would make a sheikh blush, and an influx of world players bettering us at our own game, Buck was a reminder that baseball *is* just a game. You hit the ball, you throw the ball, you catch the ball...and you run for all you're worth.

Buck understood that. Why doesn't the rest of Baseball?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #277
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The owner of his team (Monarchs) made it in.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #278
thrillhouse
spoonful of bologna

Hunter S. Thompson
Spaulding Gray
Ruth Gordon
Warren Zevon
Elliott Smith
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #279
Elspode

Jack Palance Heads for Last Roundup

I am a lover of Westerns. When I was a kid, the heyday of the Western was past, but a few classics still rolled out now and then, often starring The Duke. It wasn't until I was older, and made a point of watching older oaters, that I discovered and learned to appreciate Jack Palance.

If ever a man was born to wear a Stetson, it was Jack. Big, strapping, with a face that looked as though it had been extracted from Mount Rushmore, Palance filled a movie screen like few others ever could. His villains were the most menacing, his heroes the most thrilling, and his ladies men the most...unlikely.

Most of our modern generation fell in love with Palance when he starred in "City Slickers", alongside Billy Crystal. Playing Curly, an amalgam of every steely-eyed hardass he'd ever portrayed, Palance turned an otherwise unremarkable fishes out of water story into a genuinely funny, genuinely warm, genuinely surprising romp suitable for the whole family.

Palance won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for that portrayal, delighting audiences and spurring the most hilarious series of adlibbed jokes from presenter Crystal when Palance did a set of one arm pushups on stage while accepting his Oscar. His fame was born anew at the age of 70, and he became a household name once again.

Jack Palance has passed on at the age of 87, possibly the last of great cowboys, headed for his last roundup. Yippie I Oh, Jack.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #280
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Well done 'Splode !!!
Written from the heart !!!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #281
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I remember him best from the times he hosted Ripley's on television.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #282
glatt

Believe it.

Or not.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #283
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Robert Altman died on Monday night.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #284
Elspode

Aw, shit. Bob Altman was a personal hero of mine. A KC native, and surely one of the most original, independent and revered directors of all time.

Selene and I just watched "A Prairie Home Companion" this past weekend. Damn it. I am going to miss him, for sure.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #285
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Unfortunately, I have only seen MASH. I love that movie - it is one of my favorites. (You know, I was talking to someone who didn't know it was a movie BEFORE it was a TV show???)
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sundae's got a gun.....