The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Extended warranty on fridge freezer?

We're about to buy a small side-by-side (with water and ice) cost $600 (sale) "RRP" around 800-900.

Should we get an extended warranty?

Normally, we don't and we've done OK. On the steam vac we did and that was great too -$40 for 3 years. broke after two, go a brand new vac free, paid $40 for another 3 years, broke after two -just picked up my third brand new vac and have paid for another 3 yr warranty. (But I think this warranty is extra cheap because they don't distinguish between steam vacs and regular vacs and it's always the reservoir seal that wear out). (so paid $420 for vac for 7 years so far, as opposed to 900 for three new vacs lasting 2 years each.)

so back to the fridge freezer

$90 for 2yr, $120 for 3 year, $200 for 5 year. would you do it? we're tending towards no -not many moving parts, if it makes it through the first year, it should be OK, water ind ice most likely to fail and should be able to do those ourselves, and if not the cost of one repair should be less than $200.....

(it's an estate by Whirlpool if that makes any difference)

oh, and my condolences if anyone's nearest and dearest became dearly departed as a result of contact with a fridge freezer or an extended warranty salesperson on or around 9/11.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Extended warranties are poo. Don't fall for it.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they are(poo) if their cost is a third of the actual unit. it comes with 1 year?

if you could get the 5 year for $90, ok....thats 15% ....which is the outside of my tolerance for warranties.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
water ind ice most likely to fail and should be able to do those ourselves, and if not the cost of one repair should be less than $200.....
Our water system failed in the sense that the tiny tubes that carry the water through the filtration system became clogged over time (mineral deposits, supposedly) and we were told it would be at least $600-$700 for the repair, because it basically required replacing the whole filtration system and was very labor-intensive.

Instead we solved the problem by having the guy bypass the filtration system entirely, so now the water just comes through the door straight out of the pipe, same as tapwater. So like you said, it wasn't a big deal because we can do water and ice in other acceptable ways, but it definitely would have cost more than $200 to fix. However, I also don't think this would have been covered by a warranty even if it happened within the first few years, which it didn't.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
monster

yeah this was our thinking. thanks all

(Razz you can miss out if you disregard all without considering. trust me. most are poo. some -liike the one for our steam vac can be worth it. beware sweeping judgments can be bad for your wallet )

I reckon we're going without, just thought I'd run it by you lot in case anyone had had an amazing experience with one.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It's all about risk/reward. If you buy a $45000 vehicle and can get 3 years extra warranty for $1500 ...that's 3.33% cost. that makes sense....especially if you consider that some repairs could surpass that amount easily.

If keep your $200, and have to replace the fridge....youre still only out $400 (less deductible) ...so....fuck no.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
oh, and my condolences if anyone's nearest and dearest became dearly departed as a result of contact with a fridge freezer or an extended warranty salesperson on or around 9/11.
Let's just say nobody in my family will ever eat ice cream again. (Poor Uncle Fred . . .)
Aside from costs & coverage... is the warranty offered from the store? Or from Whirlpool? Whichever, make sure you trust them to actually honor the warranty & do the work. Some stores I'd just take the sale price & run.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
monster

fridge bought, no warranty. watch it expire at 13 months
Old 10-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
Let's just say nobody in my family will ever eat ice cream again. (Poor Uncle Fred . . .)
Aside from costs & coverage... is the warranty offered from the store? Or from Whirlpool? Whichever, make sure you trust them to actually honor the warranty & do the work. Some stores I'd just take the sale price & run.
Store. yeah, same store as steam vac, so good on the honoring. That warranty was only 13% of price for 3 years and steam vacs are dodgy if well used. That one paid off, but this one.... hmmm.

So we didn't bother.

Now you can all let rip with your fridge/freezer repair horror stories! :p
Old 10-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you live in michigan. if it breaks, just put the food on the back porch.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I've only ever known one fridge break down - mine, and it was at least third hand by then.

Washing machines - yes, get warrantied up the kazoo. But I'm betting you'll be fine with your fridge. Hmmm, effectively you have just bet you'll be fine
Old 10-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
you live in michigan. if it breaks, just put the food on the back porch.
then where will we put the chickens and the old truck engine?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Now you can all let rip with your fridge/freezer repair horror stories! :p
I'm not a fan of those water/ice deals in the fridges. It's purely anecdotal, but I've heard of so many people who have those things leak and ruin the floor, etc. They are certainly convenient, but it seems like it's a question of when they will leak, not if they will leak.

Congratulations on the new fridge (seriously) , but keep an eye out for puddles under it in a couple years.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
monster

yup, that's the one I'm hearing.....

Pergo floor too.....
Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #15
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Ok, fine monster...I'll revise to:

Extended warranties through LOWE'S are poo...don't fall for them.
Specially since our Lowe's will take anything back, even if you bought it 5 years ago and just noticed the paint is chipped...

SHURRREE (It amazes me that we stay in business.)