The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Photoshop Phrenzy!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Photoshop Phrenzy! Images out of your own head

Old 03-28-2003, 02:24 PM   #136
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bitmap
I am in the infantcy of my Online community postings, and i'd like to thank the Celler.org(tm) for wraping me in their warm bosom.
You misspelled warping, Bitmap...
Old 03-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #137
dave

Re: still prowling around

Quote:
Originally posted by antibitch
well, Dave. Aren't we touchy?
Yes, just like you're actually interested in swaying opinion. Perhaps you've never heard of "diplomacy". Regardless, that opener of yours sure was a miserable failure at it.

antibland would have had a much better reception if he would have said something like this:

<i>Hi. I'm new here, but I've seen some of the Photoshop creations around here and they're pretty decent.

I'm working on a new design site with the goal of bringing talented people together. I don't have much to offer, but I'm offering $50 in a sort of logo contest for the site. [ Insert criteria here. ]

I hope this isn't viewed as a spam - I don't mean it to be. I just thought some people around here might be interested. If not, that's okay too. Keep up the good Photoshop work!</i>

There would have still been a heckler or two, and he could have quelled their flames with something like this:

<i>Look, I really don't mean to be spamming. I'm just a single person and I don't have much money to offer, but I thought a $50 prize might be a nice bonus to someone that has talent but isn't professionally employed doing Graphic Design. Obviously $50 doesn't begin to cover the fee of a professional graphic designer, but that's not what I'm looking for - more like a college student that just likes doing that sort of thing.

I really didn't mean to offend, though, and if I did, I'm sorry. I thought it would be appropriate to post here, and I meant no ill will.</i>

I doubt anyone would have continued after that.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter - he got a decent logo and looked, to quite a few Cellar residents, like a spammer-type in the process. If he isn't, great! But he didn't really do anything to quell the accusations.

You, on the other hand... are you really interested in discussion? Or did you just want to go around slinging names?

If you want to convince someone, here's a tip: implying that someone is the "Cellar slut" probably will not enlist them to your side, nor make them sympathetic to your position. Just a thought.

Old 03-28-2003, 02:53 PM   #138
Ike_is_my_Cat
Kicking Names and Taking Ass.

unless they are a slut, in which case you owe them back-pay for their time with any accrued interest.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:36 PM   #139
Elspode

If no one else volunteers to be the Cellar Slut, I'll take the job. After all, I have no other useful skills to offer.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:00 PM   #140
antibitch
Jotter of Notes

insights and possibilities:

But the thing is, Antibland would have been happy to compose a request that was more informal. He is, and is pretty much planning to be in the future, as far as I know, a nice guy. If he had known that was the proper way to go about it and that composing a note like that would have gotten him a more prosperous response, he wouldn't have hesitated to go that way. Most of the suggestion you composed, in fact, would have been exactly what he would have written. He did not come to this site with the intention of looking superficial.

Because of the fact that he was zooming about the web at the speed that he was, however, planting his contest notice as many places as possible, he simply didn't take the time to re-write it just for cellar.org, nor did it dawn on him that it would be recieved offensively, either because it was looked at as spam or because the amount was laughable. I can't say that I blame him, either, for not getting to know the inner workings of each forum he went to. It would have been better, of course, but I'm sure it never entered his handsome little head that the way he did it would have elicited such grief (or entertainment, in many cases). It just....happened as it happened. So you don't have to crucify him for not caring...he would have if he had known.

[By the way, I would also like to state for the record that he is horrified I've even posted to this site regarding him, and has requested repeatedly that I stop since I'm making him look like a pussy (which I suppose I am) in the process. I'M the one who felt compelled to open my big mouth.]

Love, antibitch

PS: To those I've dubbed "Cellar Slut": I didn't really mean it, of course. I'm not one of those chicks who goes around calling girls silly names. I just couldn't resist the consonance, plus it was getting late.

Last edited by antibitch; 03-28-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:08 PM   #141
warch
lurkin old school

You learn something everyday.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:44 PM   #142
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

AB, nothing wrong with you coming here and entering into the fray. You've improved his standing here. Not that we have any kind of standing ourselves.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #143
antibitch
Jotter of Notes

[she says, grinning...]

Well, thank you, Undertoad. If I wasn't sure you were already taken on account of your sweetness, I'd kiss you and turn you into a prince.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #144
Elspode

Re: insights and possibilities:

Quote:
PS: To those I've dubbed "Cellar Slut": I didn't really mean it, of course. I'm not one of those chicks who goes around calling girls silly names. I just couldn't resist the consonance, plus it was getting late.
What...guys can't be the Cellar Slut? Damn. Thought I'd finally found a fulfilling avocation.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:51 PM   #145
antibitch
Jotter of Notes

heterosexuality abounds

Ok,fine, Elspode. You're a down-home, country-fair, panties-at-your-ankles slut. Is that better?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #146
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Re: Re: insights and possibilities:

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

What...guys can't be the Cellar Slut? Damn. Thought I'd finally found a fulfilling avocation.
I believe the term is "mimbo." Yep, you're looser than RUN DMC's Adidas.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:23 PM   #147
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

By God , she has a sense of humor!!

Quote:
Ok,fine, Elspode. You're a down-home, country-fair, panties-at-your-ankles slut. Is that better?
You *could* be good here AB. Not as good as Ep (aka Elspode) , not right away anyway, but definite potential........should you choose to exploit it.

(slang loses focus after about 100 words, so he didnt read your previous long post. He apologizes if *it* was funny too and yet not referenced as such)
Old 03-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #148
Nightsong
Wang Dude

So out of curiosity what happened at all the other places Antibland posted his contest? Did it get the same treatment?
Since my memory is terrible, where are the graphic changes? Is it me or is it somewhat the same I cannot remember...
Old 03-28-2003, 09:10 PM   #149
Nothing But Net
Professor

Ohhh... can't you just feel the love in this thread now?

I think I'm going to puke now.

:p

Not really, welcome to the Cellar.

You must cross the Pit of Fire to get here. You made it.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #150
Elspode

Re: heterosexuality abounds

Quote:
Woo hoo! At last, a job with a title!

Is there a certificate that goes along with this? Some people want proof before putting out, and I'd hate to have to disappoint the ladies. I'd keep it in my wallet, right next to a fresh rubber and my HIV-Free testimonial letter from my doctor.