The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #421
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Martin L. Gore--Counterfeit2: His first solo effort in over a decade...another CD of covers, though this one is a full-length release. Not bad...particularly since I don't know the songs he is covering (he likes obscure stuff).
How is this, Syc? I wasn't aware it was already out...
Old 05-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #422
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Dude, did you read my post?

Overall, it's not bad. The music and singing are good (natch!). But here are my issues with it:

--I don't know the originals...any of 'em. It's good in a way, but bad...b/c I don't have that "measuring stick."

--Too much synth...I would have liked to hear some rock-oriented stuff (a la "I Feel You" or "Useless").

--The whole premise of this being a covers CD. I would have liked to see Martin challenge himself more, i.e. how he would handle songs that he has written just for him, not for Dave or him to sing as members of DM.

I don't feel that I wasted my money though, nor do I consider it just filler. It's a good CD...better than the last Recoil release.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 07:45 AM   #423
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
No sense in starting a new thread on this, but I have to talk about MTV Icon: Metallica...
I saw this, and it KICKED ASS! I think I may have to record it next time it's on. The interviews were good, the history of the band was accurate and nonegotistical, nor ego-stroking (as Lars is famous for); Jason came out and told his story, James discussed his "demons" and treatment; Kirk was exactly how he always is.
Wonderful piece. I highly advise catching it!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 09:18 AM   #424
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Dude, did you read my post?
What's reading? :p

Quote:
It's a good CD...better than the last Recoil release.
I remember getting all excited because "Unsound Methods" kicked all sorts of ass, and then "Liquid" proceeds to kinda totally suck. Damn you Alan Wilder!

Just so I'm not trolling, I'm listening to... uhhh....

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Cursive - Domestica
Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Yeah.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:58 AM   #425
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

On this here coal-fired WinAmp

Brian Eno - Ambient 4, On Land.
Thinkin'/Plottin' music. Sort of Ambient Bladerunner, only way to describe it.

Especially-
Track 2 The Lost Day
Track 3 Tal Coat
Old 05-09-2003, 07:18 AM   #426
dave

Lots!

Buying music has got me listening to a variety of stuff. Since it's mostly not albums, I'll go ahead and list tracks.

<b>Eminem - Lose Yourself, Stan, The Way I Am (with Marilyn Manson)</b> - the last one is an Apple exclusive and is <b>really good</b>. Never been much into Eminem, but I can see myself getting hooked on him. Good stuff.

<b>U2 - Beautiful Day</b> - for just a buck, I now have this - finally. Reminds me of <i>Bandits</i> and good times.

<b>David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World, Ashes to Ashes</b> - some of the first songs I downloaded from Apple. They've always been two of my favorites, and now I have 'em to listen to any time. I think <b>Ashes to Ashes</b> is my favorite Bowie song.

<b>Run D.M.C. - Run's House, Rock Box, It's Tricky</b> - I already had the latter two, but tossing in Run's House has given me the trifecta of my favorite Run D.M.C. music.

<b>Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles, Paint It Black</b> - okay, so I really just bought these 'cause I wanted her cover of Paint It Black, which is actually very decent. While I was at it, I threw in "her song", just 'cause hey, why not. It's cutesy anyway, but I can definitely say that I don't dig it super much. It's good for a listen once in a while.

<b>Kurtis Blow - The Breaks, Christmas Rappin'</b> - The Breaks is one of the finest old-school rap songs. Enjoyable songs which take me back to a day when rap wasn't about killing. Good stuff.

<b>OutKast - Stankonia</b> - good CD, couple great tracks. <b>Humble Mumble</b> stands out as stupidly catchy and good, as well as <b>B.O.B.</b> and a few others. I also have <b>Big Boi and Dre Present...</b>, which came with an exclusive track <b>The Whole World</b> - also an excellent one that receives a lot of play, with <b>Rosa Parks</b> thrown in there too.

Throw in the Vice City soundtracks for <b>Wave 103</b>, <b>Flash FM</b> and <b>Wildstyle Pirate Radio</b> and that makes up my work listening schedule.

At the gym, I've been listening to a lot of <b>Alice In Chains</b> - specifically, <b>Dirt</b>, and <b>System of a Down - Steal This Album!</b>, which are both <b>excellent</b> albums.

Having 4,000 songs in my pocket (and room for at least another 2,000) means I am getting through a lot of music. Definitely very pleased with my new iPod.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:57 PM   #427
matt
At last! A dead star!

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I think <b>Ashes to Ashes</b> is my favorite Bowie song.
Good choice, my friend. I have a hard time narrowing it down to just one, but "Ashes To Ashes" is definitely top five.

Aesop Rock - "Daylight EP": Another old favorite. http://www.definitivejux.net
The Wrens - "The Meadowlands": AGAIN. This album totally fucking rules. http://www.thewrens.com

Last edited by matt; 05-15-2003 at 09:37 AM.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #428
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Saint Etienne.

It's so beautiful, it makes me cry like a little baby.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 04:27 AM   #429
KingOfTheWorld
Non-Newbie Sort

Metallica -S&M. It was a concert they played in '96 with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and it sounds so good.
Rage Against The Machine -Self Titled. Their best album by far
Pantera -Cowboys From Hell. Their first and still best album.

I'm a metal fan in case you hadn't noticed
Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 PM   #430
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

KotW, love your taste!!!

I use MP3s and am currently listening to:
Elton John - Daniel
Though I was listening to:
Metallica - Damage Inc.
About 30 seconds ago.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #431
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

June 10 will be the first time I've bought multiple CDs at one time at a store in over a year: Radiohead, Metallica, and Dave Gahan. Plus I have 5 CDs that should be coming from Columbia House any day now: Billy Joel's greatest hits, and 3 CDs from Miles Davis. That'll keep the CD player going for a while.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #432
dave

<b>Aneka - Japanese Boy</b> - I don't have an MP3, but it plays right after "Video Killed The Radio Star" on Flash FM in Vice City. Good lord I love this song. I don't know why they didn't put it on the fuckin' soundtrack CDs. Assholes.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:11 PM   #433
Odd_Bloke
Resident Denizen

Ozzy - No More Tears

Ozzy! Yeah! Whoo!!!

Need I say more? :p
Old 06-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #434
dave

Now I've got an MP3. You can download it here:

http://msdelta.net/~dave/aneka.mp3

It's properly ID3 tagged.

I couldn't find this fucking song to buy, so I don't feel bad about illegally downloading it and giving it to friends. If someone finds a CD I can get this on, let me know.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #435
Torrere
a real smartass

Redshift - Halo

Most of the songs are rather quiet to start, and it took me a while to realize that there was music there -- I would forget about it before it became interesting. I really like it now, though.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote