The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-30-2002, 10:25 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

10/30/2002: Japanese attempt pizza

I enjoy the Japanese culture and how it is creatively integrating western things in new and different ways. So does this guy who has developed the web's first page dedicated to introducing the world to Japanese pizza. He notes that "in some guises, [it] is truly an abomination for mankind."

And it truly is, including what is shown above: squid ink pizza, where squid ink is substituted for the usual tomato sauce. That's bad enough, but the guy also features the "Curry Monterrey" upon which the toppings are "Curry Sauce, Potato, Fresh Mayonnaise, Canadian Bacon, Sweet Corn, Onion, Green Pepper, Black Pepper".

Curry, potato and mayo as a pizza topping. Mmm, it's almost lunchtime.

The benefit of a meal like this is that if you vomit afterwards, you can't tell the difference between what comes out and what went in.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:01 AM   #2
Cochese
Disorderly Orderly

Mmmm...squid ink

While not defending the squid ink, I've had the curry/mayo one after a long night of drinking. I don't know what it is but it sure hit the spot.

I live in St. Louis now, and there's a similar concoction, a slinger. Spaghetti noodles over 2 scrambled eggs over 2 cooked cheeseburger patties, all of it covered in chili. Yummy!
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:31 PM   #3
goethean
ethics evolve.

damn...I was planning a curry pizza and thought it was an original idea.
goethean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

i'd eat it.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:41 PM   #5
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Possibly Nummy.

Yeah, this concoction sounds like it would work. Pizza has come a long way since Shakey's offered an "Idiot's Delight." I think it actually had more than one kind of peppers on it. In the Sixties.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
Nic Name
retired

I think everyone should make their own pizza pie.

Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:50 PM   #7
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I always find non-tradition pizzas are always interesting. I have a couple friends who work at Papa Johns and they used the new buffalo sauce that they have for the new chicken strips as the sauce. Then put chicken and cheese on top, It was delicious.
Squid Ink on the other hand, I'm not sure anyone could get me to try that.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #8
headsplice
Relaxed

Isn't this the very definiton of Americana: taking something from another culture (hey! like pizza!), blending it with elements from your culture, and creating something new (even if I think squid ink pizza sounds particularly foul)?
Old 10-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #9
sib
Person Who Has Posted

potato pizza is no joke

potato on a white pizza (no sauce) with small pieces of bacon and sprinkled with chedder cheese is fantastic.
sib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:17 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Right, splice - pizza is in itself a westernized version of an Italian peasant food.

But the tomato as a crop was originally brought back to Europe from South America.

So this most basic of foods has one amazing worldwide history. But the Japanese won't know what hit them when the next round arrives: the stromboli.

Cam, I happen to have a cold Buffalo Chicken Pizza in the refrig right now. Chicken, three types of cheese, and "buffalo" sauce. From Rocco's Brick Oven Pizza in Collegeville. Y'all know the place, I'm sure!

The secret to reheating cold pizza: just wipe a thin layer of light olive oil across a heavy pan or griddle, and slap it down there on high heat, crust-down. When the crust starts getting black areas, it's done.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The secret to reheating cold pizza: just wipe a thin layer of light olive oil across a heavy pan or griddle, and slap it down there on high heat, crust-down. When the crust starts getting black areas, it's done.
Reheating pizza? That's a waste -- it's best cold! (Just like cold Chinese food... mmmm... peppersteak for breakfast!)
Old 10-30-2002, 04:18 PM   #12
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

I always thought "japanese pizza" referred to okonomiyaki

Last edited by MaggieL; 10-30-2002 at 04:22 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:50 PM   #13
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
Cam, I happen to have a cold Buffalo Chicken Pizza in the refrig right now. Chicken, three types of cheese, and "buffalo" sauce. From Rocco's Brick Oven Pizza in Collegeville. Y'all know the place, I'm sure!
Yeah I expected that someplace else did this. Sadly I don't believe we have any, how do I put this, original pizza parlors I guess, around here, if we do I havn't discovered it yet and no one has recommended it. But now my stomach is growling, and I have to go to class, oh it's going to be a long night. I have a microeconomics test tomorrow morning. yuck
Old 10-30-2002, 04:52 PM   #14
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
I happen to have a cold Buffalo Chicken Pizza in the refrig right now. Chicken, three types of cheese, and "buffalo" sauce. From Rocco's Brick Oven Pizza in Collegeville.
that sounds awesome. makes me miss living in a college town.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:37 AM   #15
headsplice
Relaxed

Not original pizza, but,

damn it's good. Lorenzo's, dowtown Philly. Best....Cheese....Pizza....EVER!