The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #2356
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Obama and the Dems knowingly lied to the electorate. Payback is in Nov.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #2357
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Now merc - go to the damn link first and actually read it - look at the pretty pictures and then make a snarky comment!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2358
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Isn't it funny how Heritage pretends to want to have a serious conversation about health care and yet they still call it "Obamacare".

Wake me when the solution is more important than the snark.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #2359
classicman

I noticed that too. I had to post it though.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #2360
TheMercenary

Quote:
While House and Senate leaders negotiate over the final version of a health care bill, they seem to have forgotten one thing: many of them, including the President, pledged to deny support to any bill which would add to the federal deficit. Until now, budgetary gimmicks have hidden the true cost of the health care bills, but neither chamber of Congress has succeeded at creating a bill which is deficit neutral and falls under $900 billion—the limit set by President Obama himself .
http://blog.heritage.org/2010/01/19/...idents-pledge/

Quote:
FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care
By ERICA WERNER and CALVIN WOODWARD (AP) – 3 days ago
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama told voters repeatedly during the health care debate that the overhaul legislation would bring down fast-rising health care costs and save them money. Now, he's hemming and hawing on that.
So far, the law he signed earlier this year hasn't had the desired effect. An analysis from Medicare's Office of the Actuary this week said that the nation's health care tab will go up — not down — through 2019 as a result of Obama's sweeping law, though the increase is modest.
Obama offered some caveats when asked in his news conference Friday about the apparent discrepancy between what he promised and what's actually happening so far. On several other topics, too, his rhetoric fell short of a full accounting.
___
EDITOR'S NOTE — An occasional look at assertions by public officials and how well they adhere to the facts
___
A look at some of the claims at his news conference and how they compare with the facts:
OBAMA: Said he never expected to extend insurance coverage to an additional 31 million people "for free." He added that "we've made huge progress" if medical inflation could be brought down to the level of overall inflation, or somewhere slightly above that.
THE FACTS: Those claims may be supported in the fine print of the plan he pitched to Congress and a skeptical public months ago. But they were rarely heard back then. "My proposal would bring down the cost of health care for millions — families, businesses and the federal government," he declared in March.
Last August he predicted: "The American people are going to be glad that we acted to change an unsustainable system so that more people have coverage, we're bending the cost curve, and we're getting insurance reforms."
On Friday, he conceded: "Bending the cost curve on health care is hard to do." The goal: "Slowly bring down those costs."
The White House contends that although health care costs will rise when most of the changes take hold in 2014 and coverage is extended to the uninsured, costs will go down over the longer term as controls kick in.
___
OBAMA: "We took every idea out there about how to reduce or at least slow the costs of health care over time."
THE FACTS: One idea that most experts believe would do the most to control health costs — directly taxing health benefits — was missing in Obama's plan. Opposition from unions and others was too great, and Obama himself had campaigned against the idea.
Some of the major cost controllers that did make it into the law — including a tax on high-value insurance plans — don't start until 2018. That tax was watered down and delayed, and other cost-control approaches also softened after opposition from hospitals and other interest groups.
Health spending already accounts for about 17 percent of the economy and is projected to grow to nearly 20 percent in 2019.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...eo4qQD9I5913O1
Old 09-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #2361
TheMercenary

For every person that supported Obamacare I hope your premiums triple....

As insurers face health care law requirements, customers face cancellations

September 8, 2010

Quote:
In the letter sent to the Alcantaras and other customers, Grand Prairie-based National Health Insurance Co. said it could no longer offer individual accident and health insurance policies. It blamed its decision on the company's inability to meet requirements of the health care overhaul signed into law this year.

The cancellation highlights one way the new law is reshaping the health care landscape in North Texas and elsewhere. Some health economists say more small insurers may soon buckle under the weight of the law's mandates.

The law's biggest challenge for insurers is a requirement starting Jan. 1 that specifies "medical loss ratios" – the percentage of an insurer's premiums spent on medical services for its customers. For individual plans, the new law requires that at least 80 percent of premiums go toward paying medical expenses; for large group coverage, the minimum rises to 85 percent.

Insurers that fail to meet the requirement will have to pay rebates to customers.

"The fact is that there are a number of plans who won't be able to meet this requirement and will simply exit the market," said Jared Wolfe, executive director for the Texas Association of Health Plans, an Austin-based group representing concerns of insurers.

But Ben Gonzalez, spokesman for the Texas Department of Insurance, said, "There is always some movement in and out of the market by smaller players. We do not see a specific trend at this point."

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which has the responsibility of writing the rules for what will qualify as a medical expense, said insurers like National Health may be acting prematurely.

"We have recently heard reports that some insurers are making decisions about participation in particular markets based on the effect of these requirements," Kathleen Sebelius, U.S. secretary of health and human services, said in a statement. "It is premature for insurers to make business decisions about participation in particular markets based on rules that have yet to be published, or to apply for exemptions to rules that have not yet been drafted."

Approval to cancel
On July 26, the Texas Department of Insurance gave National Health approval to stop offering individual accident and health insurance policies. National Health sent letters to the Alcantaras and other customers four days later.

"After careful consideration of the recent health care legislation, National Health Insurance Co. has determined that it will not be able to meet the requirements set forth by the [health care law] recently enacted by the United States federal government," the company said in its letter. "With this knowledge, NHIC has decided to cease distributing and renewing its medical expense plans."

National Health, which declined repeated requests for interviews, did not say in its letter which of the requirements in the 906-page law it has trouble meeting.

But Wolfe said the new medical-loss ratio requirements will be more of a hardship for smaller insurance companies like National Health than for larger companies.

"The individual market has much higher administrative costs than the large group market due to a number of factors, [such as] costs are spread across fewer lives, the cost of underwriting and the role of brokers," Wolfe said.

A company the size of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas – the state's largest insurer, with 3.8 million members, 400 hospitals and 40,000 physicians – can rely on name recognition to generate business. But smaller insurers have to heavily rely on insurance brokers, and the new medical loss requirements will hurt their commissions, Wolfe said.

And, as smaller insurance companies bow out under weight of the medical loss ratio requirements, larger insurers stand to increase their market share. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas says it sees an opportunity.

"Although we are actively evaluating all aspects of pending health reform definitions and regulations, including the implications of minimum medical loss ratio requirements, we believe that individual insurance is a valuable service and are committed to that market," said spokeswoman Margaret Jarvis.

Financial pressures
The new law is adding to the pressures felt by companies like National Health, which has had financial troubles for at least three years, according to the insurer's financial records kept with the Texas Department of Insurance.

Since December 2007, its assets have fallen 31 percent, from $36.7 million to $25.2 million in December 2009. Premiums from its accident and health division fell 27 percent during the same period, from $8.1 million to $5.9 million.

And since October 2009, the insurer has racked up penalties in several states for not filing health care cost reports or financial statements on time, according to records kept by the Department of Insurance.

The insurer plans to continue writing Medicare supplement policies and specified disease policies. But as a condition of stopping its individual health insurance business, National Health will not be allowed to re-enter that market until 2015.

For the Alcantaras, the loss of their insurance policy is major blow, but not a complete surprise.

They've been pleased with their high-deductible policy, which is tailored to cover Al's Type 2 diabetes and gives them access to all the doctors they want. Their policy will be terminated Feb. 1.

"I honestly believed this would happen," said Jill Alcantara, a critic of the new health law.

High-risk pool
The Alcantaras now plan to join the Texas High Risk Insurance Pool. The plans available range from a $2,500 deductible with $1,025 monthly premium to a $7,000 deductible with a $662 monthly premium. Jill Alcantara acknowledges that's expensive.

"But that's just what we're going to have to do," she said.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.26bb3e6.html
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #2362
TheMercenary

Exclusive Video: Gov. Mitch Daniels on Obamacare’s Devastating Consequences

(first hand video documentation linked)

Quote:
....note with special sadness that first and foremost amongst the bill's
consequences will be the probable demise of the Healthy Indiana Plan
(HIP). This program is currently providing health insurance to 50,000
low-income Hoosiers. With its Health Savings Account-style personal
accounts and numerous incentives for healthy lifestyle choices, it has
been enormously popular and successful.

Obamacare's expansion of Medicaid, soon to cover one in every four
citizens, will not only scoop up most of HIP's participants, but will
also cost the state between $3.1 and $3.9 billion over the next decade.
It is hard to see how my successors as governor will be able to avoid a
steep state tax increase to pay for it. Meanwhile, our medical device
companies and small businesses will shed jobs as they wrestle with the
taxes and penalties levied to help finance Washington's "reforms."

Of course, it's a misnomer to even refer to this as "reform." It doesn't
reform anything. Instead, it perpetuates and magnifies all the worst
aspects of our current system: fee for service reimbursement, "free" to
the purchaser consumption, and an irrationally expensive medical
liability tort system. It's a sure recipe for yet more overconsumption
and overspending.
http://blog.heritage.org/2010/08/27/...-consequences/
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #2363
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Isn't it funny how Heritage pretends to want to have a serious conversation about health care and yet they still call it "Obamacare".

Wake me when the solution is more important than the snark.
It will always be known as Obamacare. Get over it and get use to it. They own it lock, stock, and barrel. Good or bad.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #2364
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah that's where I'm weird: I think finding the real solution is more important than winning the horseshit debate via name-calling and rhetoric and snark.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #2365
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Yeah that's where I'm weird: I think finding the real solution is more important than winning the horseshit debate via name-calling and rhetoric and snark.
this
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #2366
classicman

If it truly turns out to be this great and wondrous thing, you can bet your ass that it'll be called Obamacare. Finding the real solution is the most important thing. Learning about what this thing really is, is a necessary step in that direction.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #2367
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I noticed that too. I had to post it though.
Of course you did. And it was very helpful.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #2368
classicman

Your welcome. Thanks for that valuable input, as usual.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #2369
Spexxvet

I'd like to thank the republican attorney general of Pennsylvania for wasting my tax dollars by sueing my federal government over healthcare reform, which caused the federal government to waste my tax dollars defending healthcare reform. That there is fiscal responsibility!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #2370
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Your welcome. Thanks for that valuable input, as usual.
It's my pleasure to add value to you're day!