The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
glatt
™

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
because of the sexual aspect?
What other aspect is there?

But it says more about the person using the word than the person it's aimed at. Maybe a few decades ago it was the other way around.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Ibby
erika

Bitch means "you are a woman, who is acting negatively", or "you are acting negatively and I want to paint you with a feminine epithet for increased effect". in both cases, it's implied that the being a woman part of the term is meant to increase the negativity of the term.

Slut, however, means "you are immoral, and have too much sex", and is almost always applied negatively only to women. it implies trashiness and a lack of personal worth or value. But it also means "sex is bad"... and that's already becoming a position wildly out of touch with anyone who isn't a Limbaugh fan or a Westboro Baptist or whatever. Slut shaming is becoming more and more rejected by society. Slutwalks are an increasingly common sort of protest march.

Quote:
But it says more about the person using the word than the person it's aimed at. Maybe a few decades ago it was the other way around.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
What other aspect is there?

Is that what makes the difference -that one is sexual and one isn't, or is it the way in which each is used or is it just higher on the sliding scale of all bad words that ranges from you dastardly devil thru you motherfelching cunt to.....wherever?

It wasn't a challenge, merely a question, sorry if it came off differently

I don't find them particularly different in this context of use. You and Ibram have both touched on what I feel about it really -it says more about the person who resorts to the name-calling, and it's about damn time women just didn't let "slut" hurt them any more than "bitch". words like this just need to be reclaimed until there are no more left. But I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm in the minority about that. I think all this "bad words" thing is ridiculous. And I don't feel any need to take a stand against this Lindburgh chap because he's already been outclassed and shown up by his "victim". Good for her.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Ibby
erika

Quote:
I don't know anything about Armed Forces Radio. Is it supported at all by taxpayer money? If so, it shouldn't have any partisan stuff on it, unless it's balanced out with another extremist blowhard, but from the left.
Armed Forces TV carries Fox and MSNBC shows for example. The problem is... IS there anyone as extreme as Rush on the left? Not just someone who's really far on the left - I mean EXTREME, as in, repeatedly and unabashedly calling a woman who testified about a friend of hers needing birth control for ovarian cysts a slut, regardless of the facts?

the partisanship isn't the issue. It's the offensiveness and disgusting personal attacks.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
glatt
™

I think they are very different.

Bitch is always a woman or an insult to a man by calling him a woman. You can be a bitch one day, and then not be a bitch the next. It's about attitude. Or maybe you are always a bitch. But then that's just the way you are. (Not you, Monster.)

Slut is someone who is promiscuous. But in a bad way. And using that word is making a judgement on the worth of the person forever. They are unclean. In the gutter. The lowest.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
glatt
™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Armed Forces TV carries Fox and MSNBC shows for example. The problem is... IS there anyone as extreme as Rush on the left? Not just someone who's really far on the left - I mean EXTREME, as in, repeatedly and unabashedly calling a woman who testified about a friend of hers needing birth control for ovarian cysts a slut, regardless of the facts?

the partisanship isn't the issue. It's the offensiveness and disgusting personal attacks.
Yeah, but do I pay for it with my taxes?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #22
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Yeah, but do I pay for it with my taxes?
Yes. Yes you do.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

He's losing advertisers...I think the count is up to 30.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

bitch=female
dick=male
Old 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Armed Forces TV carries Fox and MSNBC shows for example. The problem is... IS there anyone as extreme as Rush on the left?
The closest I can think of is Ed, used to be Ulbermann maybe. But no, neither went that far.

IMO, Rush shouldn't be on ANY radio.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
The closest I can think of is Ed, used to be Ulbermann maybe. But no, neither went that far.
They're both loud and bombastic, and tend to have a rhetorical style similar to Rush's, but neither are particularly extreme by my reckoning. What exactly makes them extreme, other than being loud and slightly angry all the time?
Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #27
glatt
™

Quote:
Yes. Yes you do.
Well then I'm completely opposed to that. Give the troops entertainment, but not politics.

Rush Limbaugh routinely mocks the commander in chief. How can they justify broadcasting that over official channels? He foments insubordination. That's just nuts that he would be carried.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
bitch=female
double fucking dick=male

FTFY
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
bitch=female
dick=male
Whew! I've been doing it right!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Well then I'm completely opposed to that. Give the troops entertainment, but not politics.
That's not how AFN (armed forces network) works. The idea isn't to give them state-approved, uncontroversial, milquetoast media... The basic premise is, "if we're asking you to give up your liberty, your home, your acquaintances, and potentially your life, to go live or fight in a foreign country, we are going to give you the amenities of American life as best we can to make up for it." That's why commissaries/BXs/PXs carry books or magazines or products that may be distasteful to or disliked by some people - including politically-related material. Because it's meant to give the troops what they want in the context of what they're sacrificing by living on-base, predominantly overseas.
Any of our stateside military folks can help clarify, but that's my understanding of AFN's guiding principle, at least overseas. Keep in mind that I had AFN TV (and I assume radio if I'd looked for it) while I was living in Taiwan.