The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-23-2005, 02:28 AM   #16
York
Operations Operative

Oh well, its a religious thing .... they kill the animals by cutting a major vain and let it bleed to death i think....a bit Al-Zarqaoui style!!
The seals that are killed dont have anything to do with religion and are killed much wurse....
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #17
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I think that the big issue is the contradiction in the situation, not the fact that we americans are a bunch of venal gluttons.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 PM   #18
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Bush weighs in on the holiday...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0020221-4.html

I wonder if he's seen our expose?

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
February 21, 2002

President Commemorates Eid al-Adha

I am pleased to send warm greetings to Muslims across the United States as you celebrate the Eid al-Adha holiday.

As you join in spirit with those gathered in Mecca to observe the traditions of one of your most sacred feasts, may you share joyful and reverent fellowship with family and friends.

During this special time, our Nation is reminded of the remarkable contributions of American Muslims to our history, culture, and way of life. Our spiritual foundation and common heritage will continue to guide us as we strive to strengthen our country and advance peace and goodness in our world.

Laura joins me in sending our best wishes for a joyous observance.

GEORGE W. BUSH

# # #
Old 01-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #19
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I had an idea...

plus

equals

A self solving problem.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #20
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relisnhoj
You know, it's conversations like this that convince ignorant people to become vegitarians, and condemn us meat eaters. I have a friend who is a rancher, thousands of acres of lands, even more cattle, and his daughter is a vegetarian. I don't get it.
I do. The daughter gets to see this stuff first hand and knows exactly what's going on. Logical choice on her part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wah
if you think this says something about Islam, go up to Greeley, CO sometime and see how our Fast Food Nation does the whole slaughter thing. Mmmm, pools of cowshit...
Aint that the truth. Stuff that goes on in slaughterhouses in the good ol' "Christian" USA is way worse than what's in this picture. The only difference is you don't see it until it's neatly shrink-wrapped at the meat counter.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:31 AM   #21
MAdMoNKEY
Smooth Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
The only difference is you don't see it until it's neatly shrink-wrapped at the meat counter.
I agree. At least the Muslims in the picture are exposed to where their meat is coming from--they understand what's involved, whether or not that affects their appreciation for their food or their eating habits. Us Americans on the other hand are shielded from all the gruesomeness--so much so that our first reaction is to cast stones at the "heathen" Muslims. I don't think we mean to be hypocritical, we're just not exposed to these kinds of facts of life.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #22
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

["Us Americans on the other hand are shielded from all the gruesomeness--so much so that our first reaction is to cast stones at the "heathen" Muslims. I don't think we mean to be hypocritical, we're just not exposed to these kinds of facts of life."] QUOTE

Isn't that called "civilization"?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #23
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy

Isn't that called "civilization"?
Huh? So are you saying that these Muslims aren't "civilized"?

There's just as much ugliness in the US, but it takes place behind closed doors. I don't think that makes us more "civilized" than anyone else.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #24
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Hey, not all of us think meat comes in shrink wrap. Believe it or not (and agree with him or not) Ted Nugent's cook book "Kill it and Grill it" has this as one of it's major points. If you are NOT a vegitarian, if you are NOT killing it yourself, someone is doing it for you, and if your not willing to face up to that fact, your being intellectually dishonest with yourself.

Me? Yep - people kill most of my food for me, but I do kill some of it for myself - the "Ultimate" in "Free range" - hunting - where the animal can get away (In fact I did NOT get one this year). And yes, I do my own butchering, and preserving (Mostly freezing)
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #25
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG
Believe it or not (and agree with him or not) Ted Nugent's cook book "Kill it and Grill it" has this as one of it's major points.
I wouldn't be so quick to canonize Mr. Nugent. He brags about playing tapes of pigs screaming at slaughter--because he enjoys the sound of it. Sick fuck, if you ask me. And yes, I'm a vegan.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #26
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
There are degrees of civilization.

And as to canonizing Ted Nugent, the Nuge is first and foremost a showman. I'd bet money that he was saying that just to see what people would say, the same as he's been doing since the '70s.

You being a grazer is not going to come as any great surprise to anyone.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #27
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Cannonize? Nope - but he does have a point (and some good recipies)

Think I'll go home and make some venison chili tonight (yum)
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #28
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieG
Think I'll go home and make some venison chili tonight (yum)
ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Maybe you should go back to telling math jokes....
Old 01-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #29
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:

civ·i·lized
adj.

1. Having a highly developed society and culture.
2. Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.
3. Marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.

I don't believe hacking off someone's head with a machete fits the definition of civilized....nor does what these Muslims are doing in this picture.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #30
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
And yes, I'm a vegan.
oh great, not just vegetarian, but vegan now?