The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
glatt

Pi,
at first I thought you were joking, but then I seemed to recall that English isn't your first language, so I answered your question seriously. I hope I didn't offend your intelligence. I didn't mean to.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #17
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi

What does this sentence mean? If it's unnecessary to state, why did they tell then?
Damned if I know. I'm only the messenger, so please don't shoot me. That was a direct quote from this site:

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/D-Day

Take it up with them.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:42 PM   #18
Pi
desperate finder

Sorry I didn't want to be rude...
Actually it was a joke and then I tried to be witty but maybe I shouldn't...
I should just try to be funny and if doesn't work, no problem and if I'm good enough making jokes so that everybody understands, I'll move on to the next level. It's a hard way (who's singing that song, don't remember)...
Old 06-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #19
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

d stands for dysentery. They also had to make preparation for h on d day.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #20
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
d stands for dysentery. They also had to make preparation for h on d day.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:38 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: what does the d in d day stand for

Quote:
Originally posted by Spivey
i totally missed the part where they said what the d in d day stood for anyone know?
DEEEEEEEEZ NUUUUUUUUTS!!!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:56 PM   #22
Spivey
Pithy Euphemist

now i'm really confused
Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:14 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why shouldn't I take an owl to Athens?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:42 AM   #24
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Spivey
now i'm really confused
Must be just you then.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:09 AM   #25
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff normally coordinates the proposed date with the commanders of the appropriate unified and specified commands, as well as any recommended changes to C-day. L-hour will be established per plan, crisis, or theater of operations and will apply to both air and surface movements. Normally, L-hour will be established to allow C-day to be a 24-hour day. a. C-day. The unnamed day on which a deployment operation commences or is to commence. The deployment may be movement of troops, cargo, weapon systems, or a combination of these elements using any or all types of transport. The letter "C" will be the only one used to denote the above. The highest command or headquarters responsible for coordinating the planning will specify the exact meaning of C-day within the aforementioned definition. The command or headquarters directly responsible for the execution of the operation, if other than the one coordinating the planning, will do so in light of the meaning specified by the highest command or headquarters coordinating the planning. b. D-day. The unnamed day on which a particular operation commences or is to commence. c. F-hour. The effective time of announcement by the Secretary of Defense to the Military Departments of a decision to mobilize Reserve units. d. H-hour. The specific hour on D-day at which a particular operation commences. e. H-hour (amphibious operations). For amphibious operations, the time the first assault elements are scheduled to touch down on the beach, or a landing zone, and in some cases the commencement of countermine breaching operations. f. L-hour. The specific hour on C-day at which a deployment operation commences or is to commence. g. L-hour (amphibious operations). In amphibious operations, the time at which the first helicopter of the helicopter-borne assault wave touches down in the landing zone. h. M-day. The term used to designate the unnamed day on which full mobilization commences or is due to commence. i. N-day. The unnamed day an active duty unit is notified for deployment or redeployment. j. R-day. Redeployment day. The day on which redeployment of major combat, combat support, and combat service support forces begins in an operation. k. S-day. The day the President authorizes Selective Reserve callup (not more than 200,000). l. T-day. The effective day coincident with Presidential declaration of national emergency and authorization of partial mobilization (not more than 1,000,000 personnel exclusive of the 200,000 callup). m. W-day. Declared by the National Command Authorities, W-day is associated with an adversary decision to prepare for war (unambiguous strategic warning).
Old 06-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #26
marichiko

Now, I'M REALLY confused! I'm taking my owl and going home !(and no Wolf, you may not take an owl to Athens - there are laws about that! )
Old 06-12-2004, 04:30 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Debarkation Day
Old 06-13-2004, 07:32 PM   #28
rich2741
Aggregate Aggravator

D-Day

DEPARTURE DAY

Upon the alter of liberty so many have surrendered their all this very day but 60 years ago.

Let us search out much older people (78 years and older) this day to thank them for their sacrifice, as the odds are very, very great they did serve, no matter where they were assigned.

So few of the great armada of men still survive. So many of us still retain meaningful, hopeful, happy lives because of these great men. What they accomplished was not through superior weaponry or numbers or tactics, but through their sheer will, their devotion to the most just of all causes, the freedom of man.

On the beaches of France they fell by the tens of thousands, the horror of hell on Earth as seen by none before. On the cliffs they could see the carnage for miles in every direction and wonder what has man wrought. It was not the numbers of the soldiers that won that day, it was the will of men that had lives of love back home, it was the anger of being trapped against a bunker gunner with more than 10,000 rounds to throw your way, it was the desperation that they simply could NOT fail if the world were to have even a chance, it was not the terror of dying by a single bullet, but by the real chance of having their bodies ripped apart, shredded against the sand and sea. On they went, over the carnage of bodies of men they spoke with minutes earlier. The tears that filled their eyes and souls that day must have been unbearable, they must have shook with shock at having made it. If they were among the lucky in the first waves.

This day of departing the free shores of England to arrive at deaths door must have been overwhelming, but the hearts of just and brave men were so much more forceful than any ordnance that day.

The blood of life given is that of spirit received. You departed to bring peace to a land this day, but many of you departed the land this day to bring peace to men's souls. In your sacrifice, you did succeed.

Bless you all... we will not forget the greatest generation ever.

written June 6, 2004 by RD
rich2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Rich.
Nice piece, I assume you are RD.
Quote:
retired Electromagnetic Spectrum Authority
Do you have a tinfoil hat?
Old 06-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #30
rich2741
Aggregate Aggravator

Thank you Bruce.

Thank you.

Yes, I am RD (Richard Driskill)

No, no tin foil hat. I am what I say, an Authority of the 4th fundamental constant of the universe. (You can check my posts at www.wolstrupwebdesign.com)

Last edited by rich2741; 06-13-2004 at 07:46 PM.
rich2741 is offline   Reply With Quote