The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-17-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
marichiko

Wolf Creek, here I come!

Tomorrow I'm leaving for the Four Corners region to look at places to live. Its way past time for me to have left Colorado's Front Range and go back home. A bunch of things in my life have all come together at the right time, and the message from the Cosmos seems to be, "Shut up and drive over Wolf Creek," so I think I will. I'm scared, but I think its the right thing to do. And if its the wrong one, well it won't be the first time, but so far all the signs are reading, "GO!" I'm hoping to take a week and find something, come back and give my landlord notice, pack my stuff, throw my kitty in the back seat in his carrier and put this town in my rearview mirror for the last time by mid October. Wish me luck!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Woh! Good luck on your scouting trip. I'd say you ought to head straight to Durango and not even mess with the little cowtowns. There's work all year round in Durango, great food and fun activities.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
marichiko

I love Durango but its gone Hollywood as far as housing is concerned. I'll probably try to find something within an hour's drive of Durango where the rents are lower, but I could still be within a reasonable driving distance. Mancos, for example, is a cute little town only 1/2 hour away. The Aspens should be starting to turn up on Wolf Creek. I having a feeling it will be a great trip!
Old 09-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Mary Jane and Me
IS IN HIDING.............CAN YOU FIND ME???

Hope ya have a great scouting trip......... :p
Mary Jane and Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't forget your chainsaw and logging chain.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #6
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

I haven't visited Mancos since the awful forest fires of several years ago, but I know what you mean about the housing situation. Fortunately most of those Hollywood types went to Telluride instead of Durango (fools! that place is impassable most of the winter) but since the place has been growing for 30 years now I'm sure the prices are higher all the time. Remember that many people have CABINS up the Animas River Valley, and most of the year they stand empty. They will let reliable people live in them for free, and be in charge of the maintenance and security of their investments, and all you have to do is go check into a hotel at their expense when they are in town. People with no more than a carload of possessions and a kitty will not have nearly as much trouble finding non-conventional housing.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
marichiko

Well, I'm back! Thanks for the good wishes Mary Jane and, Bruce, I actually managed to avoid any adventures that required EITHER a chain saw or a logging chain. For ONCE!

That's a great idea about the cabins, Tonchi. It still hurts me to see what the big forest fire a few years back did to the area. You should see Missionary Ridge! Or maybe you shouldn't!

Anyhow, I made some good contacts, and have formulated a plan. I won't be able to leave here right away like I wanted (nothing is EVER that easy), but I think in 6 months time, I'll be basking in the spring sunshine somewhere around Cortez or Dolores.

It was a great fall trip and I took some snaps that I'll try to post for you all later!

Last edited by marichiko; 09-24-2005 at 02:03 PM.