The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #31
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Can you go and stay at your mum's for a day or two?
this?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #32
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I know this may sound sacrilegious right now, but maybe you should consider getting yourself another pet, pronto. It was the only thing that helped me when I lost Beau, my cat . The whole in my life from his death was impossible for me to reconcile. He was mine-all-mine for 13 years when I was single. I was inconsolable for a month, so my husband suggested getting a kitten, and after a while, I agreed. That's when we got Turbo from the pound. It did wonders for me.

We buried Beau in our backyard and I bought a little stone cat statue to mark the spot. Every time I look out the back window I can see it, so Beau has never been forgotten and never will.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Poor Pilau! he had a great life with you. I'll miss the stories of your rambles with him.

He'll pop by from time to time, and you'll almost catch a glimpse, or hear that little snuffling sound he made, or you even may feel his breath against the back of your hand as he's checking it for a treat. And if he's to have a little brother join you, he'll put one in your way, possibly quite unexpectedly.

At least that's what I hope for you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #34
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hi Dana

I've had dogs all my life. When they die, it's always hard, always. I've waited and waited, too long, really to put down Spirit, a German Shepherd who is still number one in my heart. It hurt like hell. I also put down Bora, another German Shepherd before she deteriorated as far as Spirit had. It hurt just the same. But it was still the better thing to do.

Your dog, Pilau, is in your pack. He lived comfortably with the knowledge that you were the boss. And you have clearly and consistently demonstrated your worthiness as leader, including this most recent, most difficult decision. He trusted you all his life for good reason; you never let him down, ever. The hurt you feel is from the love you shared. That can't be a bad thing, but I know it's painful. You did right by him, as always. I'm sorry you're hurting, perhaps you can take some comfort knowing that he's not hurting.

I'm hanging in there with you Dana. So sorry.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Poor Pilau! he had a great life with you. I'll miss the stories of your rambles with him.

He'll pop by from time to time, and you'll almost catch a glimpse, or hear that little snuffling sound he made, or you even may feel his breath against the back of your hand as he's checking it for a treat. And if he's to have a little brother join you, he'll put one in your way, possibly quite unexpectedly.

At least that's what I hope for you.
That's beautiful, and I believe this. I still hear Gaines. I know that someday a cat will just happen into my life, and it'll be Toonces and Tajjy and Gaines and Madison conspiring somehow.

And you'll just know. I hope this for Dana too.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I'm sorry about ur breaded collie.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I'm just getting caught up. SO sorry, Dana. I know you and he were seriously tight. I hope you are okay. PM me if you wanna chat. We are incredibly pet oriented here at Leslie's (and mine, now) house. I get it.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #38
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Dana, I'm so sorry you lost little Pilau. I feel for you.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #39
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Dwellars rock. You all have made me feel just that little better about things.

I will defnately be getting a puppy. Don't know when. But it's pretty much a given. Not a replacement for Pilau, but a successor to him.

I've already been online just scoping out the situation, seeing how many litters are currently selling that kind of thing. Not with a view to doing anything yet, just ya know...reassuring myself that they're out there for when I do.

A little part of me, that I am aware of and know is silly, wants a puppy because it thinks it'll be getting my Pilau back. I need to wait until that feeling has passed.

I can't see me waiting very long though. Pilau would be horrified at the unguarded state of our house.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #40
DanaC

I just opened what I thought was a late delivered Christmas card. It was addressed to Mr and Mrs C. So, I assumed it was some sort of company Christmas card or some such, something impersonal anyhow.

It was a condolences card from the vets. It has a muddy paw print on the front and says 'We are sorry for the loss of your dear friend and companion, Pilau' from all at Hird and Partners.

It made me bawl like a child, but it's also lovely. It is on my mantelpiece. It seems right. Like he was a person. He deserves a card on the mantlepiece.

Overall, I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday. I woke feeling almost lighthearted (with a considerable well of dark underneath albeit). Like, I got through the worst day and survived. I can do this. One day at a time, but I can do it.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ummmmm.
Sorry.

I've sent this via Moonpig, but now I realise it might not have been a good idea. I did expect it to make you cry, but the timing is probably all wrong, ripping off newly healing wounds.
You will get it next week, but it's probably better you see this now while you're in the mood to have a cry.
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #42
DanaC

Oh honey, that's beautiful. Really, really lovely. Thankyou so much.

And, yes it is making me cry, and I will probably cry again when it arrives. But that's ok. He's easily worth the tears. And, it makes me feel better that others have treated his death in this way. That it matters, like the passing of any family member.

*hugs*

[eta] that's my favourite pic of him too!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #43
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Thanks for being so kind about it.
Mum and Dad have both given their sympathy, so I've mentioned it in the card too.
They know you through me and appreciate what you've done, and they also know about Pilau too.

I wouldn't send a card to everyone who lost a pet.
And I wouldn't usually publicise it - but I can't send images via PM.
But when an animal has been such a part of your life, or the loss comes at a difficult time, then yes, I want to show support.

Helps if I have the address too. There are some human deaths I have wished I could mark but didn't want to intrude.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #44
DanaC

Oh, I wasn't being kind about it hon. I am genuinely moved and pleased. And I'll be very glad to have that card. It will make a nice little memorial for him in my little box of memories.

On a lighter note: I just saw the new neighbour's cat walking happily through the garden. They only moved in a few days before Christmas, by which time Pilau was no longer up to guarding his territory from the Feline Menace (his words, not mine. I quite like cats). He's a portly looking little chap, with luxurious fur and a satisfied expression. I think they also have a little dog. I'm guessing he's probably not experienced the wrath of a bearded collie in full bark, in what is effectively now his own garden.

Whilst I felt a bit of a twinge that it's no longer Pilau's garden, I also felt slightly pleased for the cat that he won't be chased through said garden or be subjected to the noise of mental barking whenever he passes by the house. He can remain portly and pleased with himself and blissfully unaware of how uninviting that garden might have been.

Last edited by DanaC; 12-31-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #45
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Don't get another dog until March!
I am about to issue an invite to come stay (open to other Dwellars too).
Need to 100% confirm dates though.

It won't be in the school holidays and the 'rents never go away then. But it will be over at least two weekends so you can make a choice.