The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 PM   #1
marichiko

HUD cuts come home(less) to roost

A while back I posted about the cuts HUD was proposing in its housing voucher program. Well sure enough, the cuts went through unopposed by anyone that I am aware of. Prior to the cuts the waiting list for a housing voucher was a year and a half in Colorado. I could have just squeaked by and gotten my voucher before I lost my little cottage I now rent. I just now found out that with the cuts the wait has gone up to three years. I've been on the list for 9 months now. I paid my rent up till next Feburary with my SSDI back pay. I get $625/mo from SSDI. That's my entire income. I'm doing my best to get back on my feet, but news like this just flips me out and sets me back emotionally. I need time to get on with treatment and voc rehab, and time is exactly what I don't have. It feels like what's the point in trying?

I just had to vent about this as I try to come to terms with this information and figure out what to do next. Thanks for letting me whine a bit. I'll shut up now.