The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-21-2003, 02:52 PM   #16
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sperlock
Sorry to disappoint OnyxCougar but from what I hear Peter Jackson never filmed the Scourging of the Shire, as he never liked that chapter, so it won't be in the extended version. Saruman will be in the extended version, though.
Damn.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 01:21 AM   #17
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Wait a minute...I haven't seen the movie yet but the big complaint about it is that it's long??? WTF people? When you jump in a swimming pool do you complain that it's wet? You go to a movie that you know is longer than most double features and what? You're surprised by its length? People are frigin' weird...
      Me? I like a long movie. Probably why I own as many anime series as movies. Length adds a lot of character development, as well as a sense of familiarity. Though, I think it should be a given that a lot of the scenes simply aren't necessary.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:36 AM   #18
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I like the books too much to watch their movie adaptations. Even with ten hours and three movies to play with, I know I'll feel like I'm watching Lynch's "Dune" all over again -- seeing a stream of identifiable scenes and situations from the books, but missing out on the extraordinary (and unfilmable) level of detail that made the books excel in the first place.

Hell, I'm still waiting for an authentic "Fletch" movie. LOTR is several orders of magnitude more complex than that.
YAY Dune!
Lynch mangled it, but you have to admit the damn thing couldn't have been done right in less than 10 - 11 hours. So the stupid Sci Fi did it in a mini-series and fucked it up again! Grrrrrrrrrr. The later books would make righteous movies.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 08:32 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I really like David Lynch's Dune ... with this caveat. I like it as a David Lynch film, but NOT as an adaptation of Dune.

But I think it was way better than the SciFi Channel's miniseries of suck.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have previously ranted on my dislike of the books, but was told by several people that the movies were a different experience, and that I should watch them just for the special effects, etc.

Seems as though they were wrong.

I tried to watch LOTR:FOTR last night.

I became bored and fell asleep, apparently at a fairly exciting bit (that big battle in the castle and 2/3 of the way through).

I did like the way that they handled the ringwraiths, though. Cool. Almost could feel the evil oozing off them.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 07-10-2004, 01:19 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am forging ahead, despite my rising gorge, and increasing boredom.

Finished LOTR: TTO last night.

Might not proceed with LOTR: ROTK until late Sunday or early next week. One of my coworkers reviewed it by saying "I just had to look away. There was just too much killin'!"

Johnson is not one to be put off by too much killin' usually, so I'm mildly intrigued.

As with FOTR, there was one bit that stood out as being cool ... you know when Isengard is being set upon by the ents, and they let the dam go, and there's that one ent that had burst into open flame and he runs up to the rushing waters and sticks his head in? That was cool.

Unfortunately, given that the movie is about three hours long, 3 seconds of really cool doesn't cut it.

Last edited by wolf; 07-10-2004 at 01:19 AM. Reason: speeelin
Old 07-10-2004, 01:43 AM   #22
Razorfish
Superhero

I never found the movie length to be a problem. I really liked the book series and I liked the movies fairly accurate interpretation of it. Some liberties were taken (especially in the second one) but overall the length of the movie was justified by the amount of material in the books. Did any one read the books but hate the movies? I find it hard to hate a movie for its length, although I have read some books that definitely needed serious trims for the movies (*cough, cough* Tom Clancy *cough, cough*).
Old 07-10-2004, 09:43 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I hated the books too.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:13 AM   #24
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
I like all three movies and I'm a sucker for epic pre-modern weapon battles, especially when there's clever battle tactics or nicely choreographed weapon-play used. (Troy had some NICE ones). I also like the story itself. I plan on taking a Saturday and watching all three movies at once, but not in the theater, oh no. Marathon will happen in the comfort of my living room, with a heapin' pile of chinese food, maybe a rack of ribs in the oven and some cornbread, and enough generic fruit punch soda to swim in. Oh yes, with a pause button and my own private bathroom.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

When RoTK cam out in theaters, ten of us went to New Orleans and did all three in one day.

We left the house at ten in the morning and came back at two AM.

FoTR: extended version
one hour intemission
TT: extended version
one hour intermission, free pizza
RoTK lite

We got dollar refills on the large drinks, dollar hotdogs, pass on a lanyard and a small statue with a couple of film cels in it.

All that for the bargain price of 25 USD.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 AM   #26
Kitsune
still eats dirt

That would have cost me my sanity. How do you not develop deep vein thrombosis and suffer a stroke from sitting that long? What, out of curiosity, encouraged you to sit for that long to watch that many hours of movie in a row?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #27
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune

That would have cost me my sanity. How do you not develop deep vein thrombosis and suffer a stroke from sitting that long? What, out of curiosity, encouraged you to sit for that long to watch that many hours of movie in a row?
1) I've read the books once a year for, well, quite a long time,
2) Sitting a long time, in the dark, doesn't bother me, I'm in IT,
3) I'd waited the above-mentioned quite a long time for the movies to come out,
4) I enjoyed the movies with their changes, mistakes and all,
5) Some movies you have to see in the theater,
6) I'm a masochist.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:05 AM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I bought the dvd of RoTK, left it on the kitchen counter for 2 days planning on watching it asap. jinx didnt want to watch it when i did, so i waited.....now my kids have hijacked it, and 3 weeks later, it's still missing. damn kids.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #29
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
I bought the dvd of RoTK, left it on the kitchen counter for 2 days planning on watching it asap. jinx didnt want to watch it when i did, so i waited.....now my kids have hijacked it, and 3 weeks later, it's still missing. damn kids.
I'm waiting for the extended version to come out before I actually pay for it.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #30
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
How do you not develop deep vein thrombosis and suffer a stroke from sitting that long? What, out of curiosity, encouraged you to sit for that long to watch that many hours of movie in a row?
Getting up for food/drink/bathroom breaks keeps the blood moving!

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote