The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Be Less Bored
Throwing turnips off the truck

iPod is for [insert derogatory flame], Neuros is for geeks

http://neurosaudio.com/prod_neuros_main.asp

Sadly, if you have an iPod, you've missed out. People are mocking you behind your back, just as they would if you used AOL. Maybe you already have both. That's OK: foolish purchasing decisions are good for the economy.

Be Less Bored -- or call US: +1 206-203-4119

D'oh .. and you were worried about google?
Be Less Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

So....4 years after the iPod was released I can get a player that's about twice as thick, has a byzantine interface and is windows only instead of a device that's half as thick, has an awesome interface, works with the most popular online store, every major OS and has a ton of accessories. Woo. Ohhh....it has an FM radio. WOW. That's why I bought an MP3 player, silly me.

But it's hackable! Ohh! Open Source! Which means I can hack my MP3 player to.....well....someone might make something to send and recieve podcasts! Oh. That's about as appealing as open heart surgery. Bugger.

If I wanted to hack code for my portables I'd do it on my Symbian phone. I and most other people want an MP3 player that..plays MP3s. The only real factors are interface, storage space and battery life. The iPod kicks ass at all 3.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Plus, it comes in aqua.

By the way, this is post # 500! Woohoo. Now back to the tech talk.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

iPods are for everyone. It's consumer electronics, it's not supposed to be hard.

My non-geeky classical-pianist husband needs something very easy. Otherwise, he would just not use the thing. We tried a Creative Zen Micro, but the PC software was too hard to use. We returned it for an iPod Mini. Now when he needs help with iTunes, the kids can help him.

Also, the display and controls on the mini was a little better than the zen.

Apple is good at consumer product design.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I'm as big a geek as the next guy(probably bigger) but sometimes you want products that you don't have to know anything to use. I'm happy to recompile my kernel when I need to but I'm not going to go as far as the Gentoo fanboys and compile all the software I use.

There's a fine line between doing something geeky that's worthwhile and doing something geeky just for the sake of geekiness.

(i could have sworn I already responded to this thread...maybe I'm on crack)
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Or you could buy one of these babies and drop in any size 2.5" hard drive you want.

Lithium batteries and a 9-in-1 card reader means you can store pics from digital cameras or transfer MP3's from flash memory cards without a computer. Buying and dropping in your own drive will also up your geek credentials.

The cost of the shell and a 40GB drive is under $200.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Or you could buy one of these babies and drop in any size 2.5" hard drive you want.

Lithium batteries and a 9-in-1 card reader means you can store pics from digital cameras or transfer MP3's from flash memory cards without a computer. Buying and dropping in your own drive will also up your geek credentials.

Damn you! Now I want one of those!!! I'm a real sucker for new consumer electronics.

I wish they had one that didn't even need a HD. With this one, the SD card sticks out, so you can't really take it on the train that way. I would want a smaller device with no HD, replaceable SD card, and a decent display with menus for albums, artists, and so on.

Right now, I just have a displayless shuffle.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
headsplice
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
*drool*
[off-topic]Buying a USB shell with a 2/5" drive is simple, cheap, and makes life much easier for your everyday geek needs.[/off-topic]