The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #106
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thanks, Garnet! I am flattered that you think so.

Hang in---and if you post some pics of hot PETA chicks you might find a whole lotta converts at your door!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #107
marichiko

Boy, leave town for a couple of days, and you miss all the fun. Garnet, you seem to be holding you own nicely. Lots of time new members can really get under the flame throwers. I certainly did, but decided to stick around and irritate everybody just for the hell of it. I've had great fun playing devil's advocate and have gotten a pretty tough internet skin (Mine is that new sparkly glow in the dark fish net style - you might look around e-bay for some latest fashions in that area).

As for eating meat, I think that's a matter of personal choice. I eat meat and as a Buddhist, I feel rather guilty about it. I do not believe in taking the life of other living beings, so what am I doing chowing down on bacon and steaks? Being a hypocrite, that's what. I was a vegetarian for several years, but then I lost a whole bunch of weight and became anemic (NOT due to being vegetarian, it was a health condition I'd acquired), so the Doc's told me to start eating meat again. At this point, I now weigh TOO much and am seriously considering going back to being vegetarian again for both health and ethical reasons. Meat is a nasty habit to kick, though - as bad as smoking or any other addiction.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #108
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, this topic has officially used too many cuss words, so my net nanny won't show me Page 7 anymore...
Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #109
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Well, this topic has officially used too many cuss words, so my net nanny won't show me Page 7 anymore...
Hah - that is too F'ing funny!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #110
garnet

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
At this point, I now weigh TOO much and am seriously considering going back to being vegetarian again for both health and ethical reasons. Meat is a nasty habit to kick, though - as bad as smoking or any other addiction.
Well, hey, let me know if you're looking for any specific info if you decide to make the change back. I know all kinds of nifty sites with tips and stuff. I have a wealth of vegetarian propaganda at my findertips...
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #111
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

oh, Girl, I am soooo proud of you! You're gonna make it after all!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #112
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Well, hey, let me know if you're looking for any specific info if you decide to make the change back. I know all kinds of nifty sites with tips and stuff. I have a wealth of vegetarian propaganda at my findertips...
Sure, PM me with your vegetarian "propaganda." I know I'll be happier with myself if I quit the stuff again!
Old 08-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #113
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Sure, PM me with your vegetarian "propaganda." I know I'll be happier with myself if I quit the stuff again!
Why would you go back to grazing if you had to give it up for health reasons?

Has your metabolism shifted?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #114
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Why would you go back to grazing if you had to give it up for health reasons?

Has your metabolism shifted?
Well, yeah, I think it has. For me, its easier to loose weight if I eliminate things like red meat, butter and cheese from my diet. That's just my personal body chemistry. Maybe everyone else is different. To each his own. If someone is content with a meat-eating diet, I'm not going to have a cow over it.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 AM   #115
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Somebody else has covered this ground.

And they responded

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:42 AM   #116
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
....I have a wealth of vegetarian propaganda at my findertips...
[confused] Is that.......could it be.......what the....HUMOR!?[/confused]

Last edited by slang; 08-12-2004 at 02:45 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:52 AM   #117
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

11) If PETA does launch a “plant rights” campaign, will it include weeds? If so, does that mean that your members will have to quit smoking weed?

15) Would you be offended if I mowed my lawn? I love this one....

16) Do PETA members eat animal crackers?

From the article Wolf listed.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:28 AM   #118
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang
11) If PETA does launch a “plant rights” campaign, will it include weeds? If so, does that mean that your members will have to quit smoking weed?

15) Would you be offended if I mowed my lawn? I love this one....

16) Do PETA members eat animal crackers?

From the article Wolf listed.
Heather did a fine job addressing the first two, as for animal crackers I believe we've got some in the vending machine!
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:14 AM   #119
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Hey thanks for recapping there. That wasn't what I was looking for but it was nice. No cutting sarcasm, no harsh language......very matter of fact. I like it.

Looks like you lucked out on the weed thing.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #120
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
From the questionnaire and answer in wolf's links:
Question:
Quote:
6) Regarding a vegetarian diet, do you believe that humans are naturally vegetarians even though many human biological traits point toward a varied diet? For example, our teeth structure, enzyme make-up, enlarged brain (which is not really needed for grazing), and muscle ratio.
Answer:
Quote:
6) “John” should brush up on human anatomy. Human bodies are better suited for a vegetarian diet than a meat-based one. Carnivorous animals have claws, a short digestive tract, and long, curved fangs. In contrast, humans have flat, flexible nails, a long digestive tract, flat molars, and two tiny canine teeth that are better suited for biting into fruits than tearing through tough hides.
It seems Heather Moore needs to brush up too, so she can see past where her mindset let's her. She's basically correct with what she's saying, but she's coming to the wrong conclusions. It's true the human has tracts that allow him to partially digest and process vegetable matter. The human's molars are pretty flat and better suited to grinding than shearing. And compared to carnivores, the canines are pretty tiny and don't grip well. However, the fact remains that:

1) the human stomach and its workings can process fleshy matter more efficiently on the whole than vegetable matter, which at best gets partially processed,

2) the human canine is tiny, but they aren't made for biting fruit, that's what the human incisors are for, human canines are there to help maintain a grip when pulling, be it pulling meat of a bone or pulling that chunk of apple off the core,

3) while the human animal alone is not very well suited for bringing down an animal, the brain that comes standard with the model is capable for out-thinking potential prey instead of outrunning/overpowering it, if our ancestors had solely relied on being about to sneak up on and jump onto, say, a healthy deer and try and bite its throat out or wrestle it to the ground, we frankly wouldn't be here,

4) the PETA mentality appears to totally forget that there are creatures known as omnivores, that possess traits of both carnivores AND herbivores, meaning they can and should eat some of BOTH types of foods to maintain the body,

5) the human animal is an opportunistic eater by nature, if there is a substance available that the human knows he can eat without getting sick, he'll eat it, be it that interesting tuber he found growing nearby or that whale he and his tribe harpooned and brought back to shore,

Yes, humans have mechanics and history for planteating and humans have mechanics and history for flesheating. It's rather silly to deny one in favor of the other for ideological reasons. And I wonder where she gets off saying that having meat in your diet at all makes it 'meat-based'. That would mean the diet is mostly meat with a vegetable here or there. Yet, to follow a vegetarian diet, there should be no meat period, right? My diet, for example, consists of about 80% grainbased stuff (pasta, breads, rice, et al) and 20% meat. My diet is hardly based on meat but I would still be met with the same scrutiny for that 20%. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems a PETA diehard's concept of meatbased means any diet with more than 0% meat in it. If it doesn't, where are the standards set? Why so aribitrary? Easier to shout at people passing by, I guess.

Regarding the questionairre answers though, I really would like to hear the Heather's PETA brand answer for #14, if she could get off her high (well-treated, oat-and-apple-fed, loved-like-a-brother) horse long enough to answer it.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote