The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #76
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
You can look them up for yourself here...
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/viort.htm
Reread this source.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5480227
Quote:
Violent crime across the nation is up. For the first time since 2001
It was going down for a while, as shown on your graph, then spiked up in 2006.

Your sources, and as you've pointed out, say that the last fully tabulated year was in 2005, but finding are starting to show that the US has recently started to become more violent.

You can't really say either side is right because we had a low downfall in violent crime and then recently shot up so it is hard to tell if it is a change in trend or just a fluke.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #77
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
You can't really say either side is right because we had a low downfall in violent crime and then recently shot up so it is hard to tell if it is a change in trend or just a fluke.
That is the bottom line here.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
History demonstrates that if lying becomes situation normal among political leaders, then crime increases. But public now perceives George Jr as lying from corporate welfare to the drug industry, to global warming, to "Mission Accomplished". Three and four years ago, the public did not believe lying was situation normal by our government.

As this adminstration lies repeatedly, then crime should increase.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #79
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
History demonstrates that if lying becomes situation normal among political leaders, then crime increases. But public now perceives George Jr as lying from corporate welfare to the drug industry, to global warming, to "Mission Accomplished". Three and four years ago, the public did not believe lying was situation normal by our government.

As this adminstration lies repeatedly, then crime should increase.
Come on tw, you can't be that big of a Wacko. Bush has nothing to do with the crime stats in the US.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #80
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Come on tw, you can't be that big of a Wacko. Bush has nothing to do with the crime stats in the US.
Look at the chart. When Nixon lied just like George Jr, crime skyrocketed. Like George Jr, Nixon also advocated wiretapping without judicial review of everyone because Americans could not be trusted. Deja vue. Well at least Nixon did not overtly advocate torture and imprisionment without judicial review. No decent American would ever advocate such crimes ... until today.

If the president is a crook and so many want to be just like the president - crime wave. At least Nixon denied he is a crook. George Jr will not even do that. Crime wave.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #81
TheMercenary

Quote:
Look at the chart. When Nixon lied just like George Jr, crime skyrocketed. Like George Jr, Nixon also advocated wiretapping without judicial review of everyone because Americans could not be trusted. Deja vue. Well at least Nixon did not overtly advocate torture and imprisionment without judicial review. No decent American would ever advocate such crimes ... until today.

If the president is a crook and so many want to be just like the president - crime wave. At least Nixon denied he is a crook. George Jr will not even do that. Crime wave.
Ok, ok, you are a wacko, let's put that aside. So you think there is a straightline graph which shows that crime ebs and tides based on who is President?

So using this graph from the FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_01/01crime2.pdf where total reported crimes flattened out in 1999 and began to rise in 2000 do you think that was because everyone knew at that time that Bush was going to be the new president in those years, or was it something else?

And in this graph: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/pdf/02crime2.pdf do you think that crime flattened out or actually decreased as a measure of population in 2001 because the majority of criminals just had not followed the press and no one had told them that Bush had been elected and now it was time to commit more crime? I wonder...

And in this graph: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/pdf/03sec2.pdf do you think that crime continued to actually go down from 2002 to 2003 because of some other curious unknown fact only known to tw? I wonder... still going down and Bush was President as I recall in those years.

Yep, that ought to do it. TW Crime Theory busted.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 06-03-2007 at 09:32 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Um... seriously, get off the crack. You are being silly. The people don't look to politicians for moral guidance.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm not sure it's as silly as it sounds. When the President surrounds himself with morally corrupt people like Cheney, Rove, etc., the people they interact with emulate them. And the minions the emulators control take their cue in a trickle down manner. They see the people above them working with lobbyists and power mongers so that must be the accepted norm, the way to get ahead. All thinking becomes short term, what's in it for me, how do I make that next rung on the ladder, or more importantly keep from getting knocked off this one.

No, the general population doesn't look to politicians for moral guidance but they do get cues from how the rich and famous got that way. When normal people get unhappy with their plight, and see success come to people that fuck over other people, they scale it to their world.

This cause and effect doesn't have to be widespread to have an effect on national statistics, only some in addition to normal will do it.

Do you think I could get a Doctoral thesis out of that?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 AM   #84
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm not sure it's as silly as it sounds. When the President surrounds himself with morally corrupt people like Cheney, Rove, etc., the people they interact with emulate them. And the minions the emulators control take their cue in a trickle down manner. They see the people above them working with lobbyists and power mongers so that must be the accepted norm, the way to get ahead. All thinking becomes short term, what's in it for me, how do I make that next rung on the ladder, or more importantly keep from getting knocked off this one.

No, the general population doesn't look to politicians for moral guidance but they do get cues from how the rich and famous got that way. When normal people get unhappy with their plight, and see success come to people that fuck over other people, they scale it to their world.

This cause and effect doesn't have to be widespread to have an effect on national statistics, only some in addition to normal will do it.

Do you think I could get a Doctoral thesis out of that?
No you can't get a Doctoral thesis out of it because it is basically BS. Normal people are not criminals. Normal people who are "unhappy with their plight" are not running around trying to figure out how to "fuck over other people", they are trying to figure out how to be happier, and most normal people are not commiting crimes to do it. Additionally the FBI crime stats do not support tw's fantasy that there is a relationship between who is President and the national crime rate.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But but but I'm not talking about normal people, just the borderlines that can swing statistics.
I so wanted to play doctor, sigh.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
I so wanted to play doctor, sigh.

You don't need to pass cellar scrutiny just some university somewhere. Tired of your amateur status?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, tired of saying I'm not a real Doctor, I just play one in the dark.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #88
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Um... seriously, get off the crack. You are being silly. The people don't look to politicians for moral guidance.
Who said anything about looking for guidance? The attitude is set by leadership. Because Nixon was an outright liar, everyone - virtually everyone - did drugs of some form. Remember, marijuana was considered as evil as heroine. And since American leaders lied repeatedly about Vietnam, then marijuana was everywhere. Widespread truth was "don't trust anyone over 30". This because the president make it acceptable to be a liar.

Are drugs today as routine as they were then? No. As America slowly began to trust its leaders - a trust that takes long to establish - then even crime diminished. Being honest and 'trusting anyone over 30' became acceptable again.

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management. That reality has never changed. In NYC, Giuliani (actually his Police Commissioner) massively reduced murder. How did he do that? He started by removing the squeegee guy and litter bugs. How does the enforcement of misdemeanors reduce murders? Same concept. Do you now accuse Giuliani of being on crack? Or do you grasp the meaning behind “85% or all problems are directly traceable to top management”?

Only question remains whether a crime trend seen often applies to this sharp upswing in current American crime - especially in mid-size American cities.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #89
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

first time reading this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Their crime is out of control, they are being invaded and do nothing but argue. They are divided ideologically and are over extended with their military.
Are they a doomed nation?
doomed? invaded??

Answer: Looking out my serene window I see our airspace is clear. I can have more than one child if I choose too AND we don't skin our dogs and cats alive for the pelts unlike China AND Um ...I see no Canadians flocking to get in.[North] It just hurts when people try to get in the back door. [south]

So no dying America, no but if America dies the world dies so be a friend.

Quote:
If it wasn't for United States your pathetic country would be getting fucked in the ass by mainland China so shut up.
ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
duck is right. America is dying. China rules. Except when tiny Japan humiliated them.
Ancient China ruled once or was that Japan?

Quote:
Well yeah, but she lives in HK which is a world apart from China. She's not a real Chinese.
What is real Chinese? Of ancient and humble origins? or the Dog murders,bicycle crowded, leave your daughters under a bush to die kind of Chinese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Allowing criminal illegal immigrants to wave their flag isn't freedom, it's stupid. STUUUUPIIID
allowing isn't freedom??

Quote:
Yeah, tired of saying I'm not a real Doctor, I just play one in the dark.
*thinking*
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #90
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
What is real Chinese? Of ancient and humble origins?
The ones with the ancient secret that gets laundry so clean?