The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-07-2002, 11:07 PM   #31
Hermit
Neophyte-in-training

This is kinda off topic, and for that I apologize, but it is the best link I have on the violence of women.

http://www.acf.dhhs.gov/programs/cb/.../cm99/cpt3.htm

(I hope I got the syntax right, this is my first post to this board).

In American divorce courts, children are property. They are fought over in the same way the house or car is fought over. If I was emporer of the world then I would decree that children would have a advocate in the court in every divorce.

From 16 to 18 I went from being property fought for to being thown out by each parent in turn. Now past 40, I understand so much more than I did at the time about why and about the consequences, and how to deal with it, but the experience does not go away just because time passes. It colors everything I am; I could no more escape it than I could escape the sun on a cloudless day.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:36 PM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This be the Verse by Philip Larkin

They fuck you up, your mum and dad,
they may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had,
and add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn,
by fools, in old style hats and coats,
who half the time were sorry stern,
and half at one anothers' throats.

Man hands on misery to man,
it broadens like a coastal shelf.
So get out as quickly as you can,
and don't have any kids yourself.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:40 PM   #33
juju
no one of consequence

Wow. That study shows that women are more likely to physically abuse a child than a man.

Perhaps that's just because women are typically around their children more? Still, it does suggest that when presented with someone who's physically and socially inferior to them, women will resort to physical abuse just as much as men will.

<hr width=20% noshade>(<I>Disclaimer: the author of this document does not imply or infer that he or she has conducted any scientific research on the above comments. Comments are in fact wild speculation and have been pulled out of said author's ass.</i>)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 11:46 PM   #34
juju
no one of consequence

Lots of first posts happening lately. That's really cool.

Incidentally, we now have two Hermits. For people who prefer to be alone, you hermits seem awfully social. What's up with that?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:37 AM   #35
Nic Name
retired

two ... I thought we must have 22 ...
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 11:25 AM   #36
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I have had very little experience with divorce. The only kid I know who's parents are divorced was doing fine until his dad married again.

But regarding old age, my Great Grandma lived to be 102 the cool thing about that was that she had the same birthday as me only she was born 90 years earlier. So when she turned 100 I turned 10.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #37
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My parents divorced in 1977...I wasn't even 2 yet.

From what I've heard, my father was incredibly abusive, both physically and mentally. Fortunately, I don't remember any of the physical shit.

The mental abuse though...that continued through childhood. My father was, and probably still is, an incredibly mean-spirited individual. As a child, he would say some horrible things about my mother...it would cause rifts to the point where we wouldn't talk for 2 years in a couple of spots.

Finally, things came to a head in late '94. My father got pissed over something incredibly silly, and decided to disown me. We've exchanged a few barbs here and there since, but haven't had any contact in over 5 years.

Fortunately, since Rho and I have decided not to have children, that issue won't be a factor should we ever divorce. Of course, Rho and I have to get married first before we can divorce.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote