The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Just the Pot calling the Kettle ~~~~> Black. Don't call me out on it and then turn around and do the same to me.

When the shit splatters it will get on everyone in close proximity. Ducking will not help.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

... ... ... and the beat goes on
Old 12-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
SamIam

If we could have a cease fire on the name calling for a moment – think Spirit of Christmas, people – events in corporate congress are turning out just as predicted by the Huff Post:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate won't renegotiate a bill extending payroll tax cuts and jobless benefits unless the House first approves a bipartisan version that House Republicans strongly oppose, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Monday.

The Nevada Democrat's remarks seemed to put the Senate on a collision course with the GOP-run House. Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, told reporters earlier that he expects the House to reject the Senate bill Monday evening and then request talks.

"This is a question of whether the House of Representatives will be able to fulfill the basic legislative function of passing an overwhelmingly bipartisan agreement in order to protect the economic security of millions of middle-class Americans," Reid said in a written statement.

The Senate passed a two-month extension of the tax cut and unemployment benefits on Saturday with overwhelming support from senators of both parties and the backing of President Barack Obama. It had been negotiated by Senate leaders of both parties after the two sides could not agree on how to pay for a more expensive, year-long measure.

After that vote, House Republican lawmakers told their leaders that they strongly opposed the Senate bill, complaining that it lacked serious spending cuts and was too short. Boehner and other top House Republicans then said they opposed the Senate-approved bill.
Monday morning, Boehner told reporters that the House would reject the Senate-passed bill but said he didn't think it would be hard for the two sides to bridge their differences.

Unless Congress acts, 160 million workers will see a 2-percentage-point increase in the Social Security payroll tax that is deducted from their paychecks and benefits for millions of long-term unemployed people will start to expire.

"It's time to stop the nonsense. We can resolve these differences and we can do it in a way that provides certainty for job creators and others," Boehner said at a news conference, although he provided no estimate on how long it might take to produce a compromise.
Link

Again with the “job creators” thing. It IS time to "stop the nonsense." Why do we continue to let Boehner and the rest of the corporate sycophants get away with this blatant misnomer? The rich are not and have not been creating jobs in the US for quite a while now. Why do people continue to pretend that they do? How many are simply ignorant and how many Congressmen are simply paid off?

Frankly, I agree with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's proposal that the Senate continue with its holiday recess as planned and leave House Republicans to stew in their own venom.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #34
classicman

C'mon. This bill was designed to fail by Harry Reid.
Why in hell would they need to do this again in 8 weeks?
Obama wanted a 1 year deal. Congress wanted a 1 year deal.
EVERYONE wanted a 1 year deal... Out of all that "negotiating, they come up with an 8 or 9 week plan? Spare me. This is political posturing by BOTH SIDES and in this case primarily the D's.
None of these fucks give a rats ass about us. They are all the 1% you so often scream about Sam.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #35
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
They are all the 1% you so often scream about Sam.
I scream, you scream, we ALL scream... Oh, never mind. The Senate achieved a bi-partisan agreement. The tea baggers in the House are ignorant of the terms "compromise" or "bi-partisan." They offer only obstructionism and make no effort to come up with viable solutions. I agree that both parties are in the thrall of corporate America, its just that Boehner and Co. don't even make a pretense of being on the side of the American people, and we don't even call them on it.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #36
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Eventually, no one will play with (work with) the bully, the one who continually tries to get their way by bluffing. None of these idiots are accomplishing anything constructive for this country. Don't they realize that? Don't they know that they will be up for re-election at some point?

I'm appalled by the state of our government. All of it.

And I will be expressing this sentiment at the poll booths next year.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #37
classicman

Thats the problem. We have to vote for someone and the options ALL suck.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #38
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Indeed. What the occupy movement need to do is occupy the ballot paper. Register, nominate, campiagn,and then ordinary folks vote for them.

Politics is and will be a shitty job. It will be even worse because if the current parties grasp that a movement like this is underway, they will throw any amount of mud (and everything else) to stop it. But if ordinary folks don't step up and take it on, it will be left to professional politicians, i.e. status quo.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #39
SamIam

I have been known to blanket the Colorado State Legislature with mass e-mailings when I get upset enough over its antics. State legislatures are much more responsive than those in D.C., needless to say, and I actually get replies. I was able to start up a dialog with a couple of Colorado Legislatures, talked on the phone with them, etc. One was on the Republican side of the aisle and the other was on the Democratic side. I liked and respected them both very much. I even told the Republican guy that if he ever decided to run for higher office, he had my vote.

Unfortunately, both these men ultimately decided to drop out of politics. One told me, "The entire system got me completely fed up. The word from above would come down and we were all expected to vote the party line, rather than for what was best for the people of Colorado. I am so disgusted with party politics that when this current session lets out, I'm going to go camp in the mountains for a month and wash my hands of the entire business."

If that's the response of honorable people - just on the State level - what hope can there be to get people with integrity into Washington, DC? Its very discouraging.