The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #6196
Nirvana
Back in 10

Oh MTP! I agree with Mon very scary and get more opinions!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #6197
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
rly? why? beest got away with having only half removed, but some doctors were gung-ho for the whole thing. Did you get a bazillion opinions? Scary stuff, mtp, very upsetting, I agree
Had a biopsy on my a big nodule on my thyroid, its some sort of lesion apparently. Something like 20% are cancer, but no way to tell if its cancer for sure except to remove it for testing. This was just the largest nodule they tested, I have a lot of other small ones on my thyroid as well. Did meds for a year but it did not shrink. My mom had to have her thyroid and most of her parathyroids removed, and she turned out to have cancer. My endocrinologist is my mom's also, we have a lot of trust for the man. He knows all the family history, thats part of why he's making this call. I'm not really scared about the medical side, just paying for it is freaking me out. I even asked my doc outright if I could wait a couple of years. He said that was not a good idea in case it is cancer and it increases even more. This really sucks, my Doc seems pretty disappointed too. When I saw him for a check up in January he was thinking I was probably all better since my thyroid itself had shrunk back to normal. The double-check ultrasound showed that the nodule had not shrunk though, so he had to send me for the biopsy and so on.
Well I guess there goes my plans to move to Austin. Defiantly will not be able to afford it.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #6198
Cloud

oh, very scary, MTP. wish you the best, and fuck cancer.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #6199
monster
I hear them call the tide

GET A SECOND OPINION!

Have you had tests to establish whether your major nodule is cold or hot?

your case sounds so much like beest's.....

.....and he had the dodgy nodule biopsied for cancer while he was on the table ...and it came back negative. 20% is pretty much the minimum chance they give.

regarding funding/urgency of surgery.... have you had biopsies? Is the nodule hot or cold? DO NOT avoid a second opinion because of cost issues. If medical money was ever well spent, it was on second and third opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Had a biopsy on my a big nodule on my thyroid, its some sort of lesion apparently. Something like 20% are cancer, but no way to tell if its cancer for sure except to remove it for testing. This was just the largest nodule they tested, I have a lot of other small ones on my thyroid as well. Did meds for a year but it did not shrink. My mom had to have her thyroid and most of her parathyroids removed, and she turned out to have cancer. My endocrinologist is my mom's also, we have a lot of trust for the man. He knows all the family history, thats part of why he's making this call. I'm not really scared about the medical side, just paying for it is freaking me out. I even asked my doc outright if I could wait a couple of years. He said that was not a good idea in case it is cancer and it increases even more. This really sucks, my Doc seems pretty disappointed too. When I saw him for a check up in January he was thinking I was probably all better since my thyroid itself had shrunk back to normal. The double-check ultrasound showed that the nodule had not shrunk though, so he had to send me for the biopsy and so on.
Well I guess there goes my plans to move to Austin. Defiantly will not be able to afford it.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #6200
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Best of Luck MTP !!!

FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK Cancer !!!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #6201
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ouch mtp!

nirvana - he has to do what? remove what? pics. i need pics. you may be able to do this yourself and save an ass load of cash.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #6202
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

oh and mtp def get a second opinion. my father was a general surgeon he always recommended second opinions. sometimes third and fourths too.....just saying....
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #6203
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Insomnia...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #6204
roygrimes50
Sibling of the Commonweal

Because I had an urgent assignment to complete and was not sure whether I will be able to complete it on time . Though irritated I worked really hard and the end result, yes, I was able to do it completely
roygrimes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #6205
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
GET A SECOND OPINION!

Have you had tests to establish whether your major nodule is cold or hot?

your case sounds so much like beest's.....

.....and he had the dodgy nodule biopsied for cancer while he was on the table ...and it came back negative. 20% is pretty much the minimum chance they give.

regarding funding/urgency of surgery.... have you had biopsies? Is the nodule hot or cold? DO NOT avoid a second opinion because of cost issues. If medical money was ever well spent, it was on second and third opinions.
I had a biopsy last Friday. Its a follicular lesion. How old was Beest when he had his lobectomy?
This is why my doc is saying to do the full thing:
LOBECTOMY: This procedure is associated with a lower incidence of complications, but approximately 5% to 10% of patients will have a recurrence in the thyroid following lobectomy.[10] Patients younger than 45 years will have the longest follow-up period and the greatest opportunity for recurrence.

With my family history, my risk of recurrence and cancer are higher than if I did not have thyroid issues. My mom is just the tip of the iceberg on that, I have an aunt, great aunts, ect that have/had thyroid issues. Sure, another doc might say I only need a lobectomy (I'm sure I could find one), but they could be wrong also and I'd end up having to have a 2nd surgery as well. This is not the only nodule on my thyroid, just the largest right now. I have them on both lobes.
Its a really hard decision to even bother getting a 2nd opinion. I simply can't afford it. I can't even really afford the 1st opinion or the surgery. The fact that this is gonna cause me to have to put off transferring even longer, is already tearing me up. I just want to get past this and get on with my life ASAP.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #6206
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh ouch, what a horrid decision. I'm always minimalist re surgery. beest was mid 30s. He turns 40 this year.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #6207
morethanpretty

I've been reading up on my mom's condition which was Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type 2B (aka Type 3). They thyroid cancer and parathyroid issues were just 2 parts of the issue, the 3rd was a tumor on her pituitary gland. According to WebMD:
All MEN 2 subtypes are inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Offspring of affected individuals have a 50% chance of inheriting the gene mutation.

Oh joy.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #6208
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry mtp.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #6209
morethanpretty

To top it off, the boyfriend decided to have a guy's night with a friend tonight. Normally not a big deal to me, but I am really really depressed right now. I told him I would be lonely, and asked to come along. His answer? "I don't think Ryan meant for you to come along." WTF? He doesn't even bother to ask said friend, and supposedly all they are doing is playing xbox at friend's house. I can't tell him not to go, that makes me a bitch. Boyfriend didn't even give me decent warning, he came home and was all over me. I hinted that we could do that later since we REALLY needed to go to the grocery store and if we got distracted we wouldn't make it. Then at the grocery store he tells me he's not even going to stay home this evening. Why would someone do that? Why make overtures when you're not even planning on following up? What a jerk.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #6210
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

that's pretty messed up right there. and of course you could have said no. you are you and don't forget that. communication is the absolute key to a relationship. if he does something that makes you unhappy you should say so. otherwise guess what....it'll happen again. just sayin sweetheart. give an inch they take a mile. not to mean be rude or anything but just trying to voice an opinion. if you were to do something he didn't like would he say anything? prolly. chin up chest out be proud! know things aren't going well and it's hard to look on the bright side but if i can do it so can you hun!!

Tags
swiss