The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

My uncle
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #32
Griff
still says videotape

Wow, what a pro.
A St. Louis-area UPS driver with almost 44 years and 4 million miles in his rearview mirror retired Friday with a flawless driving record.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #33
TiddyBaby
The internet's like a bra, underneath ya find a boob or two

Paul Desmond
Gerry Mulligan
Frank Zappa
Me First and Gimmee Gimmees
TiddyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #34
busterb
NSABFD

I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, so here goes. I guess that to me it would be someone who's kicked drinking, drugs what ever. And not turned into a flappin idiot, holy rolling ass hole.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Buster, I never knew there was such a creature ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #36
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Short Answer: Thelonious Monk.

Long Answer:

In 1988, I was a young pianist quickly burning out on classical music. After studying for nearly a decade with half a dozen teachers, every note I played was a drudgery, a chore, and I began to hate piano. I spent a year working with Peter Yazbeck, a renowned artist whose sole focus was coaching young pianists to win international competitions, and they did win them, frequently, and I won them too, frequently. And I hated it.

I was only 13, and ready to quit.

For my 13th birthday, my Aunt Nancy performed a miracle. She raised me from the dead. She sent me 2 tapes - Wynton Marsalis’ “Standard Time”, and Thelonious Monk’s “The Composer”.

Monk. I remember listening to the tape the first time. Imaging that you had been training for 10 years to be a black and white photographer, and suddenly, instantly, for the first time, you saw the world in gloriously bright technicolor.

My mind exploded. My ears opened up. He made impossible leaps of angular logic. He drew melodic lines like a drunk man might stagger through a crowded subway car - with fits and starts, and violent bursts of dissonance and cognizance. His harmonic structures were a blur of colors, and seemed to be fit together only by being in parallel motion to other, more densely blurred tones.

Monk was, to a young and frustrated competitive classical pianist, like heroin. I bought every recording I could find. I studied his voicings, his impossibly dense coloration of scale groupings. I imitated his solos, trying to find the mysterious logic that pinned those notes to those chords.

The thing about Monk, the thing that a young pianist just entering his world would have to wait another 10 years to learn, is that nothing can be lifted from him. You can’t borrow his solo phrases, because they only make sense strung together in larger lines. You can’t borrow his melodic lines, because they only make sense within the tonal palate of his chord structures, those bizarre and impenetrable fortresses of tension that suffer no analysis. You can’t borrow his chord structures, because they only work properly when they follow the internal logic of his own devising, moving alternately in parallel motions or angular leaps.

My mentor, Phil Shackleton, moves effortlessly through musical constructs, giving cogent analysis of the functions and structures without ever diminishing the musicality of the overall effect. He loves music, passionately, and his analysis is an act of devotion.

He and I sat, once, when I was a student of his, at a piano in his office, and spent an hour analyzing 4 notes of a Monk piece. They come from a piece called “Rhythm-a-Ning”, and all four of them are wrong. They are wrong in every possible way. The harmonic structure is an F7 chord in the key of Bb, which is normally a very welcoming sort of chord - it allows all manner of vagrants and dissonant factions to sit at the table. In fact, the only two notes that aren’t welcome in a Dominant 7th chord are the Major 7th, and the 4th. So what does Monk do? Right toward the end of a phrase, he drops 4 big fat quarter notes that move from E - F# - G# - Bb (the major 7th, the flat 9th, the sharp 9th, and the fourth). It breaks every rule. If it appeared on a student project, they would fail.

And yet, it’s perfect. It’s right. When you hear him play it, he fits it together in the line, in the chordal structures, in the section, in a way that makes it inextricable.

I’m currently working my way back through his catalog, trying to fit my mind around what he did. I’m arranging that same piece, “Rhythm-a-Ning”, for two pianos, and I’ll be performing it with another teacher here at the University for an upcoming recital. The other prof is arranging a Bill Evans piece for us to do. I think he got the easier gig. I still, after 15 years with Monk, cannot find a handle for his work. I have no way to grasp a hold and move it around.

Nothing can be lifted from Monk. He’s not Parker, or Dizzy, or Miles, or Bill Evans. We don’t cop his lines or his voicings or his harmonic sense and speak his vocabulary with our voice, as a way of augmenting our own expression. He remains whole. He obviates our conventions for isolating the constituting pieces of his creative work.

He is whole. He is as he always was. So what do we do with Monk? On every list of influences I’ve ever drawn up, Monk is at the head of the list. The same thing is true of almost anyone who plays jazz piano; we all count him as an influence. But not in the way that we count Bill Evans or Duke Ellington. We don’t lift things from him. We don’t borrow from his vocabulary.

Monk means, to us, that art will always stand ahead of analysis. That creativity needs no rails to move forward. That to truly do something new sometimes requires us to be ignorant of what’s been done before, requires us to reform the raw materials with eyes squinted.

Most of all, Monk reminds us that any worthwhile act of creativity is always an act of rebellion. It is the violent overthrown of the banal, the shattering of safe harbors, and the full-throated cry of insatiable lust for human expression.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

Wow. Nobody ever impacted me that way, I almost feel deprived. Your's is the story they should use when they try to sell young folks on heroes. I never believed in the concept when I was younger, but now I see the logic in it. Realizing this late, it still has value but is less life changing. I like where I am and certainly wouldn't give up the journey I took.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #38
deadheadtimo
Jotter of Notes

Hunter Thompson
deadheadtimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #39
TiddyBaby

my list is only half of peoples that were my heros.

On the day I posted, i was laying down typing on laptop, and punched some wrong keys and thats what came up.

I didn't include many....

What fucked me up. was I was trying to find the guy that stopped all the tanks in Begeing ,

the list other peeps i typed in got blown away by my premature ejacuheromines...

these things happen when you get old.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #40
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiddyBaby
On the day I posted, i was laying down typing on laptop, and punched some wrong keys and thats what came up.
Nurse! Nurse, we need some help, here!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #41
FallenFairy
nope

My older brothers served in Vietnam...
They are my heros.
My Mom.
my children.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #42
TiddyBaby

@ Kitsune.............. lol, yeah, i felt like an idiot.

@ Fallenfairy.... i still live with survivors guilt. The war was bent, but the soldiers were true..
Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 PM   #43
mijsnomis
Reluctant Member

Jochser, and probably everyone else you've ever banned.
mijsnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #44
warch
lurkin old school

the Monk post is great. The Mr. and I were just talking the other night about how Monk is the King of "I meant to do that" He takes you right along with a mix of unquestioned confidence and risk. He changes your mind. Thats a great performer.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #45
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

There is no doubt that Monk was a musical genius. He was also a bit strange. If you've ever seen the video that follows him on a concert tour, you know what I mean.