Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #631
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I'm deaf, not blind.

But thanks for shouting.

PS ... Sorry you feel like a vet, sexobon. Oh, wait ... never mind.

Last edited by orthodoc; 09-26-2013 at 11:40 PM.
orthodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #632
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What?
I never thought she was deaf, just dense, unhip, clueless, kind of like everyone's previous generation.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #633
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
... Sorry you feel like a vet, sexobon. ...
[Bold mine]

Funny you should say that. When I went through Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS, a.k.a. goats on wheels) conducted by the American College of Surgeons to qualify US physicians to work in ERs, I named [for the patient charts] my Human Role Model (HMR, a.k.a. goat) Gilda ... after Gilda Radner. I always admired that comedienne's innate ability to enable people to laugh at their adversities and my HMR was certainly in an adverse situation facing euthanasia after surgical procedures. Gilda was quite popular for her namesake as was her namesake. Maybe trash talking dead comediennes is a Canadian thing, ay?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #634
orthodoc

I'm sure Emily Litella was in Gilda Radnor's repertoire because people thought it hilarious when she couldn't distinguish consonants. Radnor gave the audience what they wanted. It says more about the audience than about Radnor.

Canadians save their trash-talk for hockey, eh.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #635
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Note to Congress regarding all treaties with Canada, change "ay" to "eh." Zut alors!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #636
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I never thought she was deaf, just dense, unhip, clueless, kind of like everyone's previous generation.
Heh ... yep, that's me, Bruce.
I know that coming out as HOH/deaf loses me ... oh, a gajillion hotness points. But I have some great stories about my more severe misinterpretations of conversation. Like the turtle weenie soup conversation ...
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #637
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Note to Congress regarding all treaties with Canada, change "ay" to "eh." Zut alors!
Zut! This foreigner, he speak Canuck, by geez by gar!
(Ottawa Valley dialect; do not try this at home.)
Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #638
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Heh ... yep, that's me, Bruce.
I know that coming out as HOH/deaf loses me ... oh, a gajillion hotness points. But I have some great stories about my more severe misinterpretations of conversation. Like the turtle weenie soup conversation ...
You're overthinking Emily Litella, trying to diagnose a funny character with a medical condition. Do you think Chaplin's Little Tramp had a leg deformity, or we shouldn't laugh at Red Skelton's Willie Lump Lump because alcoholism is a serious problem? C'mon, lighten up.

I've been wearing two hearing aids since 1981 and should have way before that. As of two months ago they told me they had good news, my hearing is so bad there's no sense in buying hearing aids with all the bells and whistles because I wouldn't hear either. So don't lecture me on misinterpretations of conversation, eh.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #639
orthodoc

We should trade stories.

All right, all right, I have duly lightened up. I get tetchy around 2 am; it's not my best time.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #640
Griff
still says videotape

Bruce, how much conversation were you missing when you finally got the hearing aides? I'm headed in that direction... Sometimes I think my level of disinterest in humans makes it worse but there are times when I want to understand and don't.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #641
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Much more than I thought, according to others. But I think that was more a case of, "You didn't hear a thing I was thinking", in some cases.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #642
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Bruce, how much conversation were you missing when you finally got the hearing aides? I'm headed in that direction... Sometimes I think my level of disinterest in humans makes it worse but there are times when I want to understand and don't.
Get them.

My uncle is a musician, and he was really in denial about his growing hearing loss, until the Ear-Nose-Throat doc explained to him that it's not just about the ear, it's about the connections in the brain. The longer you can't hear something, the more neurons shut down, and if you wait too long, no hearing aide in the world is going to be able to get those sounds back for you. If you get one as soon as the hearing starts to go, you get to keep everything for much longer.

He got one, and was astounded to discover all the things he'd been missing. They make them so tiny now, you really can't see them, and there is no shame in wearing one even if you're still on the young side.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #643
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

What?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #644
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Can they help with figure ground hearing problems?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #645
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Goddamned gnats!!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limburger