The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

starting new car search

I'm driving a six year old Saturn, which has 95,000 miles on it, and has a manual transmission. The family van is almost paid off, so I'll be buying a new vehicle soon. I drive about 300 each week to/from work, so gas mileage is a pretty big decision factor (Saturn gets high 30s MPG), and I use the van almost exclusively when not commuting. I do not want another manual transmission. My car enables me to travel long distances quickly and comfortably - it does not represent my status or penis.

I have not researched in any depth yet, but I have some ideas and thought I'd put them out there for everybody to comment on, and solicit recommendations at the same time.

I love the look of the Dodge Magnum.

It seems like the Chevy Impala is roomy enough to live in, compared to my Saturn. I've heard or read that it has (or is available with) a feature that reduces the number of cylinders firing when they're not needed. Could be an improvement in MPG.

Toyota Camri seems to be low(ish) cost, low maintenance, high(er) resale value. I've heard lots of anecdotal praise for the Camri from friends and relatives.

Comments and recommendations, please.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You might consider the (Honda) Civic Hybrid. My mom drives one and she's loved it since day one, and a friend of mind in California bought one specifically for the gas mileage and says he usually gets 450-500 miles from a tank (though I don't know how many gallons the tank holds.)
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

That would be my reccomendation too, the Magnum would be far from the ideal high gas milaege car you're looking for. But it sounds like you want a larger size sedan, so I would take a look at an Accord. And of course manual transmission in any car you look at.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't know if he is looking to get business directly out of the Cellar, but a long-timer here might suggest an Altima from the Friendly Nissan Giant.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I like my Hyundai Sonata, 2 years old and 55k miles. No problems at all. 6 cylinders make vroom vroom go passingly.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

The Dodge Caliber with the 4-banger gets high 20s mpg IIRC.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
It seems like the Chevy Impala is roomy enough to live in, compared to my Saturn.
What do you need room for? Instead of starting by looking at cars, you should start by looking at needs.

If I was commuting each day by myself, and my family also had a van for the times we needed to travel as a family or haul stuff, I'd be looking for a smaller car for just me on my commute. I'd look for something like the Scion xA (stupid name) hatchback. The automatic version gets 31 city 38 highway. It's probably roomier on the inside than your Saturn, because it's a hatchback and is also kind of tall. Just because a car is small on the outside doesn't mean it's small on the inside. The Scion's an inexpensive car too, and made by Toyota, it should be pretty reliable and cheap to maintain. There are a handful of similar cars out there.

Look at your needs and go from there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
The family van is almost paid off, so I'll be buying a new vehicle soon.
I don't understand this motivation. You don't say that there is anything wrong with the Saturn and it's only got 95k miles on it. Why not drive it until it dies? You could put some money away for the future.

Is there some unwritten rule that American families must always have auto loan debt?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
I like my Hyundai Sonata, 2 years old and 55k miles.
Wow! Where the hell are you driving to all the time? Sheesh, and I thought we drove a lot, going to Houston and back 2-3 times a month...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

for practicality, the camry can't hurt you. it may bore you to sleep, but....

tha altima is a nice car. my brother got one, and likes it. My sister has a honda accord and loves that. I prefer german to jap, tho, and if I were to buy a car, i think it would be this one:

we plan to get a Jeep Commander in a couple of years to replace our Grand Cherokee, but the deal right now is so good ( 72mos @0%) that we've been teasing each other about getting one right now, and keeping the WJ.

Spex, i don;t know what you know about me, but I'm a finance manager for a big Nissan dealer in NJ, and if I can be of help with questions regarding current interest rates, warranties, or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at gmail. ( same name...it was available! whooda thunk it?)
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And contrary to his Cellar wackiness, he knows his business...professional and honest.....really.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

I keep driving by one of these for sale.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why do you keep driving by it?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I'm poor and have not built a garage yet...
Old 09-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #15
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

yeah, you'd need a garage - that is *such* an ugly car....