The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Getting to San Jose, CA

from Michigan (Detroit)

I need to get a 16yo there at the end of August Weds-Sun as cheaply as possible. maybe Tues-Sun I've almost lost the will to fight and I've certainly lost the will to navigate expedia and the like any more. Could use some help, pls. As I see it, main options are (1) one airfare for the 16YO (won't need to pay unaccomp minor fees, I think -didn't to SLC) to Either San Jose, San fran or Oakland -I believe coaches ill be able to pickup from those airports -certainly the first two) (2) two airfares to somewhere dayroadtrippable away but cheap to fly in to, plus a cheap car rental

Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #2
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

$467 round trip on United was the best I could find

http://www.kayak.com/flights/DTT-SJC...4820ad5e4f191e
Old 06-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
monster

thanks. that would definitely only work if she were accompanied, though. too many plane changes for our comfort levels for a 16yo travelling alone.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It appears there are no direct flights from Detroit to San Jose

The Detroit - San Francisco line is covered by Delta. Price is about $520. Can only search at delta.com for this, but it's easy. Put DTW for the "from" airport, SFO for the "to" airport, and put in the dates.

If you are willing to drive to Chicago, you can get Southwest, direct to San Jose for under $300.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
too many plane changes for our comfort levels for a 16yo travelling alone.
Meh, if they can get from one class to another, they could probably change planes. But, I follow ya.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
glatt

Changing planes is no big deal, but if a connection is delayed or canceled or something and they wind up stranded for the night at some city in the middle then they have to deal with finding lodging on their own. Getting transportation to the hotel. A meal or two, working with the airline to get another flight. I'd be freaking as a parent if that was my kid. And with each additional connecting flight, the chance of that happening grows exponentially.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
monster

right. one connection is going to have to happen, I think, but I'd like to limit it to that. Unless it's so cheap an adult is going. I'm really hoping for a miracle option (c) I didn't think of, I guess... I could drive as far as Chicago or imilar to put her on a plane, so we aren't necessarily limited to DTW
Old 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
monster

did they invent teleporting yet? can we get grandfathered in at the cheap rate?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

could you mail her?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Pamela
Deplorable

call her a pet, stick her in a cage and ship her cargo. Bonus, she can report on the conditions that actual pets go through when we take them flying.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
monster

I tried the pet thing. Apparently she's too aggressive