The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #61
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I was quoting that article mainly for the points (directed at PH and that other guy) about the constitution thumpers and the right to free speech.

But you're right: it's about the guy's action. It's a scary action, and defending it as a political matter is a scary thing to me. I do believe that the seemingly innocent talk about "overthrowing" the government if need be is a misguided and medieval notion. Notions such as this have brought too many wars and death.

I must admit, not unlike the bullied, I have no place or compassion for violent behavior, especially towards women...so my reaction may be harsh. I was literally sick to my stomach seeing that clip. It can't be made shiny and pretty, no matter how anyone tries to paint it.

But "trying to give him something" reminded of an old Jack Handey: I bet a nice gift for the president would be a chocolate revolver, but since he's so busy you would have to run up to him really fast to give it to him." *snort*
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #62
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Wow.

The douche-yness of some people will never cease to amaze me.

I don't talk to them here, but sometimes, just...WOW. Sometimes the comments these people make are stomach churning and beyond stupid.

wow.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
No Shaw you don't get to smear an entire political movement based on this one guy's actions.
Even just this event was more than just one guy. And there's also the journalist who was handcuffed by private thugs for asking a tea partier questions. And the long history of liberals being ejected for trespassing on public events that turned out to secretly be only open for the conservative public.
Quote:
I mean, what if it turns out that the woman in question was a paid political operative, wearing a disguise and rushing the candidate's car several times trying to "give him something", and the guys who tackled her were trying to get the police's attention about her for a long time?
If the police won't get rid of someone you don't like, that doesn't in any way justify doing it yourself.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #64
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
No Shaw you don't get to smear an entire political movement based on this one guy's actions.
Tony, do you believe that an organization that espouses a particular view will attract a certain type of follower?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #65
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Even just this event was more than just one guy.
If tackling people you don't agree with at political rallies is an outrage you might want to check up on Al Franken's history. The Rand Paul rally was just trying to get a Senator elected. Franken IS a senator.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #66
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
I see this as an indicator that the next president elect will be the biggest, baddest bastard to have come along yet. I'm guessing it will be Perry from Texas, but who really knows.
That made me

You're right though, he is a bastard.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #67
morethanpretty

Wow, merc...seriously? WTF? Did YOU watch the video? He clearly stomped after he put his foot on her. Wrestling her to the ground in of itself was assault.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #68
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
Wow, merc...seriously? WTF? Did YOU watch the video?
A man walks into a bar. He and friends arbitrarily attack a woman. Drive her to the ground. Then he stomps on her. He then says he did this to protect the bar owner who was in a back room. Is that misdemeanor assault?

Clearly the woman was trying to demonize the bar owner - TheMercenary's reasoning.

Strange that some find men attacking a woman as acceptable behavior. All in the name of politics driven by myths and hate. Clearly Saddam had WMDs. Obviously because he too was evil.

We have met the enemy and he is us. 40 years later and still so many don't get it.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #69
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
So, when you watch the video....

Do you really think her head was stomped on? and as offensive as the act was do you really think that this was an act of assault? or is this just another attempt to demonize the opposition and score electoral points?

Be honest now.......
WTF, Merc. I'm starting to believe you're actually an astroturf bot for the right-wing.

Talk nerdy to me.

Last edited by Pete Zicato; 10-28-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #70
morethanpretty

Oh wait, I think I see Merc's point now....it was more of her neck that was stomped.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #71
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well, it wasn't really a stomp, he just sort of stood on her head.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #72
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Here stood...
Old 10-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #73
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
I'm just positive it will be curtains for all of us.
Howdy, Bogart, welcome and all that. They said the sky would fall in and crush our skulls when Reagan got elected in 1980, because he reckoned it good to defeat and smash the Communists. We're still fine. Some others, more directly Communist-plagued than we were, are doing even better than they were.

They said Paradise was at hand when Clinton got in -- voted against the man myself -- him being a Democrat. We all remember how that Administration turned out -- overly anti-American and anticonstitutional too, and politically reflecting its upbringing in a one-party state, Arkansas. As Presidential timber, Clinton was balsa wood. No Paradise.

They bewailed G.W. Bush as an apocalypse, and lied relentlessly about the man in an attempt to punish him for his heinous act: practicing foreign policy while Republican. How terrible is that?

Fortunately for the Republic, Bush43 did not greatly concern himself with the howlings made in the service of the fascists' fellow travelers. I suppose there may have been some honestly mistaken individuals in that chorus, but the prototalitarian leanings of the majority were as evident as they were disgusting to the people of freedom.

Quote:
One thing is for certain, government never relinquishes power.
Not without circumcising a lot of government dick. And you might as well do it daily, just to keep up.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #74
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tw, you forgetful slob and antihistorian, Saddam had WMDs. He had far less of them after Gulf War I, but remnant stockpiles were repeatedly uncovered, the lion's share of these in a neglected condition. The mystery convoy from Baghdad into Syria of March 2003 has never been unriddled nor accounted for in open source. But there was the twinned-agent Sarin, brought out of Syria, that somebody wanted to unleash on Amman not much time later -- and twinned-agent Sarin was not known to be in the Syrian arsenal. Fortunately for the good burghers of Amman, the plotters and the Sarin were nabbed by Jordanian security.

And you call yourself a thinker?? No. You're an offense. And I do wish you were not -- but I don't get all my wishes.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hardly weapons of mass destruction, that's WW I shit.