The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Madman
has left the building.

Jobs that didn't last.

Little Caesar's Pizza. Managed one evening as a pizza cook. For a part-time job it was okay, but the process of cooking pizzas was numbing. I actually fell asleep in the break room and the manager had to wake me up. She said she didn't think I was very well suited for the job.

Convenience Store Clerk. I managed about three weeks doing this. They hired me as a "floater" to "fill in" for employees who called in sick or just didn't show up. Most of the time I worked the graveyard shift in "undesirable" locations. Surprisingly I was never robbed. That probably had to do with the fact that I would only take one customer at a time and then lock them in the store with me until they paid. I also had a baseball bat laying on the counter behind the register.

Telemarketer. Some people really frown on telemarketers. But, in all honesty, it is a respectable job. Not a very high paying job, but it is respectable. I've sold everything from insurance to cable TV. Was pretty good at it too. I did, however, work at one local, for a very brief period of time, where the manager was so terrible and the working conditions so horrible that it was like being in a prison camp that several of the employees actually quit and put an order of protection on the manager and then sued the company.

The manager used to refuse breaks (most telemarketing companies will work you one to two hours and then give you a break) unless you made five sales. He would dock your pay if you didn't have enough sales for the day (he would set personal goals for all the employees). One day he set mine at some ridiculous amount - I spent the morning calling long distance to my mother, brother, sister, some old friends. I got caught and he threatened to fire me and that I was going to have to pay for those calls. I didn't give a shit. I called him a pompous shitbag Hitler wannabe and walked out. I came back three days later to get my check. He called me back to his office so he could fire me? He had to have been the stupidest manager on the planet.

A.L. Williams Term Life Life Insurance agent. Another multi-level marketing scheme that was legal and worked. Bottom line - I was stupid for ever even trying it. I was scammed by the guy that was supposed to be training me. I helped him accumulate a few thousand dollars in commissions through the contacts I gave him. In the end there wasn't a thing I could do about it. In three months, working part time, I made about $150 bucks. I told him he used me and he just shrugged. Big lesson learned here.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Blow.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Dishwasher at a family restaurant in Glacier National park. I quit after 3 hours when a waitress told me in all sincerity that I could eat anything left on the plates.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Pie
Gone and done

Door-to-door newspaper subscription sales, when I was 13.

Don't *ever* buy a subscription from one of these kids. Offer them a drink of water and tell them to get a real job, say mowing lawns or babysitting -- they're being horrendously used.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I know a girl who had one of these magazine sales guys come to her door, just after a much-anticipated date cancelled at the last minute. She really DID want a subscription to one magazine but was broke and couldn't afford it at that moment. So she blew him for it. She's a slut.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

I was a fry cook for about two weeks while I was in high school. Worst job in my life.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

After college I had a period of 3 weeks between my new "good" job and the last job I left. A temp agency sent me out to do some labor work at a refinery.

I spent 4 backbreaking days scraping and shovelling sludge but the worst was ripping out all of the desert scrub from the perimeter. Freaking diamondbacks galore.

On my last day the plant manager brought me in and offered me a job as 3rd shift manager. He refused to offer a management job to any prissy college grad until he'd seen him do physical labor without bitching. I thanked him for the offer, but I wasn't interested in breathing fumes for the rest of my life. Probably a mistake, but that was my four day job.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I managed less than a week at a Mexican food factory.
I was initially put to work packing flour tortillas, but I used to get panicked by the speed of the conveyor belt and then get told off for wasting food because good tortillas ended up in the bin along with the mis-shapen ones.

I lied and said my contact lenses were playing up because of the flour in the air. So they put me on packing tacos, but I kept breaking them.

I wasn't used to handling food and I also couldn't handle being on my fete for long shifts - they ached so much! I simply didn't turn up on the last day. It was payday, but I honestly could not make it through another shift. Well, I was 18 and had a boyfriend with a good job, I had some wiggle room.

Years later I found out my sister was working evenings there (looking after her baby daughter during the day). I really respected her for that.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

1 st job after the marines was at a rail road Plate Plant ,
8 hrs Lugging Big rail road plates around and running a Punch press ,
it lasted 2 weeks , and is one of the ONLY Jobs I have been Fired on the Spot from , I Laughed at the superviser when he fired me

1 Month as a carbenter , I hated it , I Do NOT swing a hammer well for a Liveing ,
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I really needed some income and was already on with a temp. company. They asked me if I could handle hospitality and I said, of course!

I show up at a hotel and am shown where all of the janitorial supplies are, and they begin to show me some rooms to clean. I get through a couple of rooms, no problem. The increasing problems with the shape of the rooms thereafter increased room by room.

The final room I went to had problems in every inch. The bathroom was a health hazard and the furniture was out of place. It was completely wrecked. I couldn't imagine who would leave a room in that condition. I quit on the spot.

There was no way I was cleaning up after that. It was just so reckless in every way that I felt I was complicit with the actions by cleaning it. That's not true. It was just so gross I couldn't imagine who these people were. That job really is not for me. I realized my limits. I thought I could do anything......Not so much.

I just was not going to clean it. I wasn't. Outside of the temp. banquet serving I refused hospitality ever since. It just isn't for me. I am not a great maid. I refused that out of sheer disgust. Those people need to be paid more.

That was the quickest quit ever for me (just over 2 hours).
Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I have too many of these to remember. I was in and out of a telemarketing job in a matter of 3 hours once.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i sold speakers out of a van for a little while...... but that story has been told....
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
Madman
has left the building.

I worked in a factory once. I worked some kind of a stamp machine that stamped a pattern on leather. Got paid by the piece or minimum wage - whichever was greater. I sucked at it. They moved me over to the gluing section and the only thing I managed to do there was get high on the fumes.

Job sucked. They fired me after a month.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
glatt

I last 5 or 6 months as a stripper when I got out of college.

Stripping the finish off furniture. It sucked.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I worked in a vacuum store a long time ago. Friend owned the place.

His tagline was "Business sucks, but it picking up" We lemme tell you - cleaning and repairing vacuums SUCKED. The stuff some people try to clean up with their vacuums is beyond comprehension. Vomit, spilled wet cereal, animal turds. . . The "accidental stuff" was fun too - panties, used condoms . . .
I think I threw up in my mouth a little just remembering it.