The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-13-2003, 12:05 PM   #1
Kutz
Killer of Wabbits

Adaptation

I saw Adaptation this weekend. I'm not entirely sure what to think about it so far, except that the movie was generally fairly enjoyable and probably had a good deal to say. I don't, however, have much of any idea <i>what</i> it was trying to say. I thought that Being John Malkovitch was perhaps a bit more focused, and that Adaptation may have been more of a jumble of mixed messages.

The only loose idea I have is that the movie may have something to do with adapting real human emotions and circumstances to the big screen. Everyone I've spoken to who has also seen it agrees that the ending is a parody of big hollywood, but the human conditions of change are quite real, so what's being parodied? Probably just the fact that epiphanies aren't sudden things that happen over a heart-warming conversation that takes place after a wild gun chase, etc. But so what?

As you can probably see, I'm amazingly confused. I'd love if anyone who has seen the movie can give me some insight.