The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 01:07 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
Didn't this happen in Delaware a few years back? Burned ON the bridge, not under it. And tangentially related, there was the I-95 tire fire which destroyed the highway.
I-95 in Chester, PA. Full tanker of gasoline on a bridge, like the DE incident. Took a long time to fix while traffic had to share the parallel bridge.
There were two cars and the tanker involved on a bright Sunday morning. They blamed the tanker driver because he was dead and couldn't argue.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #17
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
For example, where is the hole where that tanker crashed off the bridge? If it crashed off before the bridge and down the grass embankment, then why are the lower roadway guardrails intact? If this roadway has a sharp curve, then where is that curve?
The tanker did not crash off the bridge. It crashed into the bridge from the roadway which passes under it. The curve is clearly visible in the second-to-last picture at EHOW.

http://www.aoanet.org/conditions/vision_conditions.asp
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think it crashed into anything. Looks like it rolled and spilled it's load while sliding parallel to the guard rail.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #19
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
The tanker did not crash off the bridge. It crashed into the bridge from the roadway which passes under it. The curve is clearly visible in the second-to-last picture at EHOW.
If you are trying to tell me that that gentle curve in the distance was sufficient for a truck to roll a thousand feet down a highway, then it is your brain that needs a vision perscription - a direct reference to russottos intentional, irrelevant and personal insult link. Obviously, if that distant on ramp had anything to do with the crash, then there is far more to the crash than just a truck going too fast. But again - and even demonstrated by russotto's post - facts are irrelevant. Only hype and insults are important.

Clearly something more serious or complex happened. But we would never know. The photographer concentrated only on the smoke and ashes. He did not even show skid marks - which would have helped learn something. There is no text description. Where is an accident summary? Was he cut off by an aggressive SUV? Did another truck strike his trailer? Did his brakes fail or did he have to use brakes? Was he driving down that ramp at excess of 100 MPH? Was he sun blinded. Did bin Laden flash him a moon? What does that look like after 20 years of no toilet paper? Just more examples of how emotion was more important than the truth.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #20
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
A gentle curve can be anything but when you're moving a many-ton truck with cargo at speed. Just looking at the weather conditions at the time of the pictures...there's some pretty thick mist in the air. The accident happened at 7am. It's reasonable to say that there might have been a 0 ft ceiling (straight up fog, basically) instead of it hovering a few stories up. Also, a day like that suggests it was wet the night before, rainy, heavy mist, whatever. Road slickness might be a factor too. And again, the crash was at 7am. The driver may have been driving all night, or up really early and not at peak for driving in those conditions.

Also, the very first picture shows a shoot in the direction the truck had come from. You do see skid marks, just under the bridge. They're very short, which suggests it was right around there the truck lost control and flipped over. There's one picture on the EHOWA site that shows the pillars had large chunks around their bases without much charring on them. That would indicate the truck hit the pillars at speed, either during or right after it flipped, and knocked off those flakes of pillar. In the third picture UT posted, see how high on the bern the burn marks are? You can tell it's a bit of a distance from the crash site because the grasses in the foreground are rather large against the truck wreckage. Fuel must have splashed way up there. Something had to have propelled it way up there and a strike to the pillars at speed would have done so nicely.

I say: The truck was likely coming down that curve too fast. How fast, I don't know, but fast enough for the truck to loose control. If fog was a factor, the driver simply may have misjudged the length of the curve with little to no visibility. While turning leftward into the lanes, the driver senses a problem and tries to correct it and perhaps hits the brakes. The driver turns the wheel a little too hard to the left. I can only see one, maybe two skidmarks, from that first picture, so the truck may have already had wheels off the ground by the time it got under the bridge. The top end of the truck is already moving too fast to be corrected by the driver. Physics flexes its ugly muscles, the truck strikes the pillars top first, which breaks the fuel storage area and all of that is more than enough to produce tremendous heat or sparks. Fuel goes up in a blaze of glory. Truck gets the short end of the stick. At this point, still no word on the driver but there's a cooler on the ground a few feet from the wreckage of the cab. If driver was ejected, it was most likely fatal. If driver didn't get out, again most likely fatal. Honestly, I'll be surprised if driver made it out and hasn't died from injuries.

Now, all I need is to find an offical report to see how right/wrong I am

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:06 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's hard to tell exactly since the trailer has already been pulled out of there with the tractor still smoking. Merging traffic may have played a role.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #22
cbane
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Each picture is perfect for those who love the emotion attached to an event. That's not me. Why did this crash occur? What was the mistake he made so that all others never make that mistake again?

For example, where is the hole where that tanker crashed off the bridge? If it crashed off before the bridge and down the grass embankment, then why are the lower roadway guardrails intact? If this roadway has a sharp curve, then where is that curve?
Here's a picture that my dad found which shows the area around the accident.

Quote:
We don't even know if the truck driver survived in the topmost pictures. We have been provided so few facts from the pictures as to learn almost nothing. That's not cool.
According to this, the driver wasn't hurt.

I was rather supprised to find this on the IOTD, because I go through over the damaged bridge on the way home, and next to it on the way to school.
cbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:30 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Excellent, Cbane! Welcome to the Cellar, stick around a bit and you might be amused.