The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-30-2002, 01:23 AM   #1
jennofay
..the small and meek.

mother lets children die in hot car while getting her hair done.

all i can say about this for now, because it disgusts me, is that there is no excuse for this womans behavior. maybe its because i am a certian way, but there is NO WAY i would leave two children, babies practically, in a hot car for THREE HOURS unattended. people like this make me sick, and unfortunately it happens all the time. it makes me wonder if there should be laws stating that service places (such as beauty salons) should be required to provide some sort of child care, if only a table with toys near the receptionists desk. or maybe this is unecessary, and these are just random incidents of bad parenting. leaving dogs in hot cars makes me mad enough (i will occasionally go into stores and have the owner of the vechicle paged if i see this), but these are <b>children</b>. i think the thing that really makes me sick is the story she concocted to justify her actions. wow.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/29/dea...car/index.html

jennofay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 01:42 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm surprised nobody else noticed them. Or, maybe someone did and didn't give it much thought.

I would say it's a random instance of stoopid people who shouldn't have children. I think it would be unfair to make business owners provide some sort of child care. Parents should make their own arrangements if they need to go someplace where children shouldn't or can't go.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 01:43 AM   #3
juju
no one of consequence

Natural Selection in it's simplest form, folks. :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 03:21 AM   #4
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

I really don't believe in the death sentence but this woman deserves to suffer physically for what she did. This seems to happen on a somewhat regular basis in this country, does it happen elsewhere?
Old 06-30-2002, 09:11 AM   #5
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
Natural Selection in it's simplest form, folks.
Not really. The utter moron with zero redeeming value was the one who _survived_.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by vsp

Not really. The utter moron with zero redeeming value was the one who _survived_.
But her genes will not pass on to the next generation, and it's a direct result of her stupidity. Natural Selection isn't about individuals, it's about bloodlines.

Last edited by juju; 06-30-2002 at 10:50 AM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 06:53 PM   #7
jennofay
..the small and meek.

Quote:
Originally posted by juju

But her genes will not pass on to the next generation, and it's a direct result of her stupidity. Natural Selection isn't about individuals, it's about bloodlines.
eh, shes only 25, shes got time to squeeze a few more out...

jennofay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:40 PM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I would say it's a random instance of stoopid people who shouldn't have children. I think it would be unfair to make business owners provide some sort of child care. Parents should make their own arrangements if they need to go someplace where children shouldn't or can't go.
i totally agree. its the parents responsibility to make sure their kids are taken care of. i wont leave my kid alone in the car for 30 seconds. thank god for pay-at-the-pump.

this woman should suffer. every couple of months i hear about something like this, maybe more often. of all the stupid things to do. anyone who gets into their car after the suns been on it for a while realizes its significantly hotter inside than out. even with the windows down. its negligence to the extreme, and as far as im concerned its child abuse. anyone capable of doing that to a child needs to to suffer grievously.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:46 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by jennofay
eh, shes only 25, shes got time to squeeze a few more out...
If she's convicted of first degree murder, then she'll probably be done.

However, there could be some remorse or tearful plea from the family, the charge is knocked down to 2nd degree murder or negligent homicide, she gets maybe 15 years...then yeah, we could see more.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:58 PM   #10
dave

Jenni brought up a good idea when we were on the way to Baja Fresh for dinner.

For mothers like this, the punishment should be jail time <b>and</b> having her tubes tied (or some other sterilization technique) so that she cannot have children anymore. Maybe her ovaries would be removed.

People should not be allowed to have children if they are not going to take care of them. You need a license to drive, but anyone who can fuck can make a baby. There's something seriously wrong with that.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:30 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
For mothers like this, the punishment should be jail time <b>and</b> having her tubes tied (or some other sterilization technique) so that she cannot have children anymore. Maybe her ovaries would be removed.
Definitely! This is one of our (Rho and I) favorite rallying cries.

I believe this has already been in the courts. I can't locate the specifics on google, but IIRC, a woman (of sound mind) was ordered to be sterilized using Depo-Provera. It was overturned on appeal, as one's reproductive rights cannot be taken away...I believe it had to do with "the pursuit of happiness." Wish I could find it.
Old 06-30-2002, 11:45 PM   #12
dave

One kind of waives those rights when they break the law though. You don't have all those freedoms in prison. If she wanted the right ot pursuit of happiness, she shouldn't have killed her kids.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:13 AM   #13
elSicomoro

Quote:
One kind of waives those rights when they break the law though. You don't have all those freedoms in prison. If she wanted the right ot pursuit of happiness, she shouldn't have killed her kids.
The problem I see with ordering someone to be sterilized (even if only temporarily with Depo) is that it drudges up the days of eugenics and forced sterilizations. Worst case scenario, it could create a dangerous precedent. (Although, if I had it my way, there would be LOTS of people that get snipped...too many stoopid people. )
Old 07-01-2002, 12:16 AM   #14
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

ACLU Warcry...

Quote:
<b>Eugenics!!!</b>
Old 07-01-2002, 07:16 PM   #15
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: ACLU Warcry...

It is not just that she murdered her kids. Second, she drove around for an hour trying to decide what to do. Maybe the kids still could have been saved? Point three - then she tried to claim she was kidnapped and raped. Does the name Twana Brawley sound familiar? This is not just two counts of 3rd Degree murder. There are other factors nearly as despicable which should also be addressed separately. The common factor in all actions - no responsibility to society.

Having been outraged for a day, now to ask hard, logical, unemotional questions. What should be the penalty? Remeber, the kids are dead. If she claims remorse, are we to assume she has suffered enough? Will putting her in jail reform her? Will putting her to death solve anything?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote