The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

3/18/2003: Homebuilt boat sets off

Now this is real adventure. And the sort of thing that would make the news if only the other news wasn't so important...

This is American Phil Buck and his crew, sailing their reed boat 'Viracocha', and in this picture taken yesterday they're setting off from Chile to sail to Australia.

They built the boat for three months on the Chilean beach, and at least for the next six months, they'll be at sea. If they do reach Sydney, they'll be the first to sail from S America to Oz with ancient shipbuilding techniques.

And they'll be really REALLY tired of fish for dinner, I'd expect.

They may have only used ancient techniques, but I hope they do have a GPS and radio on board just in case.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #2
chrisinhouston
Professor

But if they do reach Australia, they suffer the fate of others only to be put in a detention center somewhere in the outback.

Don't know about the GPS or radio but I would venture that they have a few bottles of Chilean wine on board.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

NO SMOKING !!!
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I wonder, though ... was it really WISE to name a boat after the Incan God of Storms??? Apu Viracocha is he who hurls down the lightning ... and brings the cleansing wrath of the storm to the people ... he's not your sissy gentle rain and benificence kind of God. He's more of a smiter .... He holds the lightning in his hands, and the rage of pumas is in his eyes. He's also the Creator god of the Inca.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Didn't Thor Heyerdahl pretty much already do this? Or is this a significantly longer journey or something?
Old 03-18-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
The Mad Hatter
I'm craaazy!

Are you sure it is Viracocha, Undertoad? A few years ago, Phil Buck sailed from Chile (I think) to Easter Island on a reed boat named (IIRC) Viracocha. Also, that picture looks a lot like the pictures of the boat from his first voyage (but they'd probably mimick the first design anyway, so...). In any case, the book <i>Four Men and a Duck</i>, which a journalist (who participated on the first expedition) wrote, is good.

(BTW, I've been a lurker for a while, but just felt the need to register.)
The Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nope, I'm not sure - in this case I'm dependent on the wire service caption, from which I just took the information.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:25 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

Kon-Tiki
Old 03-19-2003, 09:00 AM   #9
Leus
Abecedarian

It's the Viracocha II. Last month I was in Viņa on vacations, and they were exhibiting it. Impressive work.

(btw, I'm Chilean)
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote