The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-10-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
marichiko

SHINE!

My Cardigan puppy arrived from Washington State yesterday afternoon. Her litter name is "Shine" after the Australian movie by that title. Since the sire of the litter is an Australian import, the breeder decided to name the pups after different Austrailian movies. I loved that movie, "Shine"! I love the pup! I love the name, "Shine"! The pup arrived just 11 days before the winter solstice when the light begins to come back. Its been the year from hell for me, and I've been promising myself a Cardigan puppy forever. I paid for her by delivering phone books. I've delivered 3,000 for her so far and I've only got another 1,500 to go before she's paid off. She's worth every phone book I threw. Every mile in the snow I've driven. She's the best Christmas present I've ever gotten.

May the light of the Holidays shine for you all!

Merry Christmas!

Scene from my most recent phone book delivery route :
Attached Images

Last edited by marichiko; 12-10-2005 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

When you get tired of that name you can call her Spoiled Rotten...she will be by then.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Who's your momma, pretty girl
Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
marichiko

Isn't she gorgeous? Here's two more pics! Her eyes are so human!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

She's a sweetheart, alright. Congratulations.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Beautiful!!!!

I love Corgis. They are incredibly smart little dogs. Are you thinking about doing any kind of agility training with her?
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
Beautiful!!!!

I love Corgis. They are incredibly smart little dogs. Are you thinking about doing any kind of agility training with her?
I have been playing with that idea in my mind. Corgi's are incredible that way! To see those little dogs flying on their short legs is a wonder to behold! I am going to contact the local kennel club and see what avenues for that sort of training are available. But first I've got to get her crate trained!
Old 12-12-2005, 04:06 AM   #8
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

She seems to have settled in well enough judging by the last picture - Looks like you will have a great time with her.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Cute pup, hope she's nicer than the Queen's.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #10
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Cute pup, hope she's nicer than the Queen's.
The Queen makes do with the lowly Pembrooke Corgi, while Shine is a magnificent Cardigan Corgi. Cardigans are much bigger AND smarter than Pembrookes, plus Cardigans have long furry tails that remind one of a fox's tail. In fact, as adults, Cardigans look nothing so much as like a short legged fox!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

The Queen's corgis are roundly detested by the palace staff, from what I have read. They are spoiled, practically untrained and vicious. Some of them have even bitten Her Majesty, and if I remember right, didn't a pack of them rush out a back door of the palace and kill somebody else's dog who had come to visit?

It's the owner who has the power to decide whether the animal will be a pet or a pest. There is only one letter difference in those words, but a world of difference in the way the animal gets there. Marichiko knows how to do it right
Old 12-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #12
marichiko

My lord! That tells me more than I ever wanted to know about the British Royal(?) family right there! Corgi's. both Pembrooke and Cardigan, are renowned for their gentle natures and sweet personalities. They will get VERY protective if their owner is threatened, but other than that, they are one of the happiest breeds of dog around. That the Queen would have a pack of CORGI'S committing such atrocities is stunning. I wonder if Prince Charles tortures them from puppyhood on or what?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #13
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Maybe the palace staff surreptitiously kicked a Corgi everytime they felt like kicking one of the royals
Old 12-13-2005, 02:33 AM   #14
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Mari - if you want some tips on getting Shine into agility, let me know. My sister & her friend teach dog agility, and it's amazing how quick young dogs pick up on it. There is a corgi in their group, and I am always amazed that he can follow the big dogs through the loops & hurdles effortlessly!!

I bought my sister a German Shepherd pup, and even as a baby he is one driven little guy! He is in training for search & rescue right now, and it always amazes me how fast he picks things up.
His name is Jaeger, and here's a link to his daddy: http://www.committedtocanine.com/Colin.htm

Have a peek thru their website - they have some amazing dogs.
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #15
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonchi
The Queen's corgis are roundly detested by the palace staff, ....if I remember right, didn't a pack of them rush out a back door of the palace and kill somebody else's dog who had come to visit?
Other way around...