The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Usually very straightforward surgery. momwolf was very surprised at how she was able to perceive colors after hers were done. Enjoy the meds. The light anesthesia they use for cataracts has a side effect of memory loss, so you'll probably not recall the actual surgery, even though you're up and talking throughout. Enjoy the post-procedure ginger ale and cheese and peanut butter crackers. Best of luck!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
momwolf was very surprised at how she was able to perceive colors after hers were done.
My grandmom had one eye done and not the other. She'd cover one eye and say "everything looks blue", then cover the other eye and say "everything looks brown".

Best wishes, Buster!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Wow, you guys make it sound so good that I might even get it done. And I don't have cataracts.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Wow, you guys make it sound so good that I might even get it done. And I don't have cataracts.
You will, if you live that long.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Good luck Buster, it should be smooth sailing.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #21
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

About 30 years ago when I was living in Vermont an elderly widow neighbor of mine got cataract surgery after god knows how many years of progressively losing her sight.

When she got back home she was astounded and infuriated to see how dirty/ grimy her house was. She had a mild freak out and all the local ladies came over and pitched in for a few days to get things spic and span again.

There was mortification all around. Everyone felt responsible in their own way for letting things get to that state. Once it was done no one talked about it again.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #22
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'm definitely gonna try that.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I had a traumatic cataract in my right eye, which was fixed with the surgery. It's really simple and straightforward.

Thing is, you will actually come out with super vision. You will be able to see a colour normal people cannot see.

No kidding, the human retina can detect visible light but is damaged by UV light. So the lens blocks out UV light, but it also blocks a tiny bit of the visible spectrum, right at the violet end. The artificial lenses don't block this. You should be able to see it. I call it superviolet ... between violet and ultraviolet.
It is very hard to notice it, though. I only really notice it if I am in a nightclub or such where they have blacklights that make people's clothing fluoresce. The blacklights are sometimes just inside the superviolet range. They can be painfully bright.

Occasionally I notice that objects look different colours when I look through one eye or the other.
The only other thing is that you have to wear sunnies whenever you go outside, even in cloudy weather, because there is always stray UV bouncing about, which causes retinal sunburn (aka snow blindness). Just tell people you are medically cool.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
About 30 years ago when I was living in Vermont an elderly widow neighbor of mine got cataract surgery after god knows how many years of progressively losing her sight.

When she got back home she was astounded and infuriated to see how dirty/ grimy her house was. She had a mild freak out and all the local ladies came over and pitched in for a few days to get things spic and span again.

There was mortification all around. Everyone felt responsible in their own way for letting things get to that state. Once it was done no one talked about it again.
Once in a while, an old woman will say that the surgery gave her wrinkles. After all, she didn't see any wrinkles before the surgery, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
...The only other thing is that you have to wear sunnies whenever you go outside, even in cloudy weather, because there is always stray UV bouncing about, which causes retinal sunburn (aka snow blindness). Just tell people you are medically cool.
Modern interoccular lens (iol) implants block ultraviolet light. There's still light sensitivity because the iol is clearer than a ntural lens.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I'm not upgrading until I get infravision.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #26
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

would you settle for Irfanview?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #27
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I'm not upgrading until I get infravision.
Hold out for laservision.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
monster
I hear them call the tide

Don't cross the streams!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
busterb
NSABFD

Went back yesterday for my day after check-up. Dr said all was well. Have to return on 6/3/10 for another check. W/new glasses I think will be great.
Oh crap. I just read this.
What are the symptoms of retinal detachment?
Symptoms include a sudden or gradual increase in either the number of floaters, which are little "cobwebs" or specks that float about in your field of vision, and/or light flashes in the eye.

Last edited by busterb; 05-28-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add
busterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
monster
I hear them call the tide

glad to hear you survived, BB!