The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

A recent study seems to show that marijuana induces remission in Crohn's disease. Not just alleviation of pain, but a significant reduction in symptoms.

I never did drugs as a youngster - I never saw the need as I am satisfied with reality. But anything that reduces the affect of this disease will probably help me live a bit longer.

I'll wait for other studies before jumping on the bandwagon. But I have a question for you all. The study says that they smoked twice a day for eight weeks. What affect, if any, is that likely to have on my cognition, ambition, etc.?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
A recent study seems to show that marijuana induces remission in Crohn's disease. Not just alleviation of pain, but a significant reduction in symptoms.

I never did drugs as a youngster - I never saw the need as I am satisfied with reality. But anything that reduces the affect of this disease will probably help me live a bit longer.

I'll wait for other studies before jumping on the bandwagon. But I have a question for you all. The study says that they smoked twice a day for eight weeks. What affect, if any, is that likely to have on my cognition, ambition, etc.?
It varies from individual to individual from anywhere to 'like a glass of red wine' to 'like a handful of uppers' (the latter in my case). Keep in mind also that you will develop a resistance where the effects are diminished over time.

Similar story to your own, my 'country Uncle' (who had always thought of pot-smokers as long haired scumbag losers) was encouraged by his doctor is rural Texas to try this 'alternative medicine' solution--to lessen some chronic symptoms he was living with. He is a major proponent now, and that's a big deal. Because he was totally anti, before.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
What affect, if any, is that likely to have on my cognition, ambition, etc.?
If you're the type that just sits around anyway, you'll find it'll be easier, much easier to do that.

If you're the type that's always got something going on, always got an iron in a fire somewhere, you'll find it'll be easier to do that, too. Probably.

Everyone reacts differently, of course.

You will have an increased appetite, especially for really good stuff, you know, junk food, munchies, that sort of thing. I find that I cook larger, more complicated meals when I'm high.

And, oh, the plans you'll make. You might not carry any of them out, but, oh, the plans!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
What is the federal penalty for possession of one ounce of marijuana anyway?
This penalty is set by state laws. In Radar Constitutional theory, it should not apply to Federal matters, unless you cross state lines, email or phone somebody about it, or (for some reason) actually attempt to open a pharmacy in a legal state. The Feds' announcement is that they won't interfere with state laws. That means nothing to you and me.

A state-by-state list of the laws is found here.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
It varies from individual to individual from anywhere to 'like a glass of red wine' to 'like a handful of uppers' (the latter in my case).
It also varies greatly by strain and potency. There are "uppy-buzzy anxiety-producing" strains and "couch-lock narcotic watch TV all day" strains, and the medical uses for each vary greatly. (Consult your physician -- and you will find that s/he doesn't know about that.)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Possession of a firearm during a drug offense gets the feds' attn. Minimum/mandatory 1st offense: 5 yrs/fed pen. I think you add five for each subsequent drug/firearm offense.

ETA: I almost spent several yrs in PA, but, got lucky and got put somewhere closer to home.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It also varies greatly by strain and potency. There are "uppy-buzzy anxiety-producing" strains and "couch-lock narcotic watch TV all day" strains, and the medical uses for each vary greatly. (Consult your physician -- and you will find that s/he doesn't know about that.)
There's a great video on YouTube of a LEAP (law enforcement against prohibition) explaining why the 'super potent stuff' is more prevalent on the market today. Basically, if you have prohibition and illegal traffic, the bootleggers will get more profit from a barrel of whiskey than a barrel of beer.

My recommendation is, if you're going to do the stuff, ask for 'Mexican schwag' --i.e. what pot was in the 70s.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If you do it, do it right.

Ask for the diggity-dank.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

'ere...

As to ambition: you'll probably never make astronaut like you'd hoped, but you'll probably be ok.

wish ohio would ketchup. sick of 50 buck ragweed.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Increase in potency only means you need less dose to be effective. Smoke 70s mexican and you just ruin your lungs in the process. Consult your personal musician.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #26
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've read so many 'reports' that da weed is wayyyy stronger than when i was younger. Poppycock. (Which is made of poppppppies, and cock.)

there is no sensi or indica or 'christmas weed' anymore. maybe all the med facilities have it. meanies.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #27
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Kind of like how the cops can but don't arrest you for driving one mile per hour over the posted speed limit. What is the federal penalty for possession of one ounce of marijuana anyway? Be unimpressed, it is still a big deal announcement, a public announcement by the federal government. Despite your cynicism, you rely on the government to keep its word. That's why scandals like the nsa's extralegal spying is such a scandal in the first place. Because they do something they said they wouldn't do.

Regardless, you and I have no defense against being swept up, dope or no dope, witness stop and frisk. We just hope and expect them to respect our wishes and keep their word.
Its not like the DEA is mining the NSA surveillance for drug information or people are getting fired for casual use...
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well, of course the nsa's activities are enabling the dea.

and of course people are getting fired for casual use.

They're not the same thing. The first case, the dea availing themselves of information illegally obtained, which I cannot prove but wholeheartedly believe, is one illegal act. The second case, is more nuanced. There are relatively few places and cases where "casual" use is legal, and until the new laws in WA and CO were enacted, medical marijuana was the only "legal" way to use, casually or otherwise. And that was fraught with peril for the user. This change in the laws in WA and CO *and* this announcement by the feds represents a giant increase in the population and range of circumstances in which casual use can be considered "legal". That's why I said it's a big, big deal.

The whole "war on drugs" has been in place for a long time and has accreted a great deal of power and money and momentum. It won't be changed/stopped or declared victorious or defeated with any one step, only with lots of steps. Even these laws were the fruit of lots of small acts. The end of prohibition began somewhere, but haltingly. Same thing here.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey
I've read so many 'reports' that da weed is wayyyy stronger than when i was younger. Poppycock. (Which is made of poppppppies, and cock.)
I wonder if some of this is just "back in my day" syndrome. Maybe the 50-ish hippies are experiencing much stronger effects from the same amount of weed, but maybe that's only because they're old and their bodies can't take it like they used to. And of course the younger users weren't around back then so they can't compare either.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato

Pete, if you are considering this you might look into Cannabis Oil instead of smokable pot. It is more concentrated, doesn't have any lung side effects, and most people who are experienced at extracting cannabis oil know they are making it almost exclusively for medical patients, so they breed strains that have much less THC.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote