The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Enrique Caruso
Kinda New Member

What do you hate most about politics and politicians?

What really buggs you about politics and politicians? What would you want to see changed and (if you can answer) how would you go about changing it?
Enrique Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think the thing that really annoys me most about politicians is the way they try and get other people to research their homework for them...no wait...
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

I told you, the cellar is the place to turn when you have homework to do....

Now if only it could do my housework....
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
DanaC

We should ask the Toad if there's a widget for that...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
What do you hate most about politics and politicians?
Politics and politicians.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Politics and politicians.
FTW

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
roygrimes50
Sibling of the Commonweal

It bugs me that so many of them throughout history - in every country - have been able and willing to smile to your face, stick a knife in your ribs, and tell you they were doing it for your own good.
Unfortunately, I don't have any idea how you can change that.
roygrimes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Politicians use up air - air that could be better put to use by filling balloons.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #9
DanaC

And...they make invaluable scapegoats when things go wrong.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
DanaC

We The People, do not demand politicians who are honest, competant and clear in their ideals. We demand politicians who look good on a camera and can 'connect' with the common man by reflecting his own ideals back at him. We do not reward competant policy making, we reward popular sloganising. Accuracy and openness is met with ridicule and pillory, vague statements of intent are more palatable to us.

The best minds in politics are rarely the most electable ones. The ones that are most likely to succeed in the world of politics and find a place on the national stage are the ones who can play to our fickle desires, not the ones who can incisively cut to the heart of an issue. The politicians with the closest links to powerful friends, and the most popular persona wins out, on the whole, against the politicians with the most steadfast commitment to the common good. And we perpetuate that in most elections. Instead of statesmen and stateswomen, we have actors and competitors in a game. And we perpetuate that in most elections.

We have the politicians we deserve.

And, again, I'll make the point I often make when people lump all politicians together: the world of politics, like any other arena in life, is composed of many parts and variables. The people who go into politics are no more an identikit group than police, firefighters, soldiers, butchers, bankers, teachers, etc. There are arseholes, and there are highly committed individuals. There are people skimming and people as honest as the day. What we see of politics is often a very small part of the picture. Most politicians are not as well known as the main players. The ones who take on the role of ad-hoc advocate and socialworker for their constituents' problems, manage a small team of advisors and researchers, attenddebates and vote on issues, sit on committees and attend a local school's nativity, and then sit up late into the night reading reports and papers. There are a lot of very hard working people in the world of politics. Don't discount them because the ones who managed to claw their way to the top of a very nasty mountain are so bad.

Last edited by DanaC; 02-07-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help Help! I'm being repressed!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
DanaC

hahahahah. I'm still laughing as I post.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
We The People, do not demand politicians who are honest, competant and clear in their ideals. We demand politicians who look good on a camera and can 'connect' with the common man by reflecting his own ideals back at him. We do not reward competant policy making, we reward popular sloganising. Accuracy and openness is met with ridicule and pillory, vague statements of intent are more palatable to us.

The best minds in politics are rarely the most electable ones. The ones that are most likely to succeed in the world of politics and find a place on the national stage are the ones who can play to our fickle desires, not the ones who can incisively cut to the heart of an issue. The politicians with the closest links to powerful friends, and the most popular persona wins out, on the whole, against the politicians with the most steadfast commitment to the common good. And we perpetuate that in most elections. Instead of statesmen and stateswomen, we have actors and competitors in a game. And we perpetuate that in most elections.

We have the politicians we deserve.

And, again, I'll make the point I often make when people lump all politicians together: the world of politics, like any other arena in life, is composed of many parts and variables. The people who go into politics are no more an identikit group than police, firefighters, soldiers, butchers, bankers, teachers, etc. There are arseholes, and there are highly committed individuals. There are people skimming and people as honest as the day. What we see of politics is often a very small part of the picture. Most politicians are not as well known as the main players. The ones who take on the role of ad-hoc advocate and socialworker for their constituents' problems, manage a small team of advisors and researchers, attenddebates and vote on issues, sit on committees and attend a local school's nativity, and then sit up late into the night reading reports and papers. There are a lot of very hard working people in the world of politics. Don't discount them because the ones who managed to claw their way to the top of a very nasty mountain are so bad.
I have never met one of the people under the ones at the top who did not aspire to the same assholeiness like those that they work for. Regardless if they were lesser elected or appointed representatives or just worker bees. Deep down inside they want to be in the position of that person at the top or desire their attention from a political standpoint. Those that aren't are few and far between.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You mean other than liberals?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
You mean other than liberals?
Every single one of them, party regardless...

Tags
homework