The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1441
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
There are three more on the way later this year.
Oh. Good.

Ortho had me worried.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #1442
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Oh. Good.

Ortho had me worried.
Ditto. I love that show.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #1443
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Flipped. A Rob Reiner flick. Very cute. Would be good for family viewing especially with pre-teen, teenage girls.

360. One of those 'full circle' movies, where everything comes around in the end. It was OK. Needs a rewatch, as does:

Lucky Number Slevin. I'm not even sure what happened in that movie. It needs a rewatch, preferably a sober one.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #1444
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
Oh. Good.

Ortho had me worried.
Sorry! I had me worried, too. That is to say, although from the end of the last episode another season seemed inevitable, it's been a long time since they were made. I can't wait.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #1445
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Watching the last episode of Sherlock while doing my pathetic 15 minutes at a time on the elliptical - but each 15 minutes adds up, right? SO upset there'll be no more episodes to watch.
Are you referring to the tv series Elementary, by the way? I had just assumed so but now I figured I should double check.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #1446
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

No, referring to the BBC series 'Sherlock' with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. There were two seasons of three episodes each. I haven't run across 'Elementary', but that's not unusual - I'm sort of TV-illiterate.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:52 AM   #1447
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I watched the first ep of Elementary. Seemed like it might be ok once it finds its feet. I like the guy playing Sherlock. Quite like the female Watson.

The first ep was a bit pedestrian, but showed definite promise.

Lola, if you haven't seen Sherlock, give it a go. It's a really solid take on the original stories.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #1448
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Daniel Craig version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not as good as the Swedish one.

I also watched Titanic: Blood and Steel (Irish TV miniseries). Historical inaccuracies annoyed me no end, but the story was entertaining.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #1449
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
The Daniel Craig version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Not as good as the Swedish one.
True. Gotta love the Led Zeppelin cover over the credits, though.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1450
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you like Led Zepplin covers, which I don't.

I was generally unhappy with the opening credits. Poor imitation of a Bond film opening.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #1451
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Watched Repo Men starring Forrest Whittaker and Jude Law last night. It was good. There were sections in the middle where the casual violence was unsettlingly gratuitous. I won't rewatch it. Two stars.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #1452
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Total Recall remake - 7

Ted - 8.75

The Watch - 7 ("I will shove an entire egg inside your ass, and I'll watch it hatch." paraphrasing)

Area 407 - 0.2 Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst movie I watched in 2012. Jittery picture from the 'found footage' of a teenager with a video camera, spates of nothing but incoherent yelling/screaming for minutes and minutes on end, horrendous dialogue, entirely predictable. Stink Factor of nine.

In The Electric Mist - 7 Slow. Plot shortcuts. Plot elements unexplained. But...It has a very good cast, led by Tommy Lee Jones. Takes place today (modern times), but at one point TLJ (whose character is a recovering alcoholic) is sitting on a cabin porch talking to a man about not being able to tell the difference anymore between what's real and what ain't . The man is John Bell Hood, played by Levon Helm. Go figure.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Last edited by Gravdigr; 01-10-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #1453
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
No, referring to the BBC series 'Sherlock' with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. There were two seasons of three episodes each. I haven't run across 'Elementary', but that's not unusual - I'm sort of TV-illiterate.
Ahhhh....where can I find this? Would Hulu have it? That's where I watch most of my tv shows, hehe. I like the show 'Elementary.'
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #1454
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Netflix has both of the first two seasons, streaming and DVD.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #1455
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I got a book from the library entitled 1001 Movies to See Before You Die. I've been jotting down movies I'd never heard of but want to see, and movies I've heard of but haven't seen, and movies I've seen but I realize I missed something when I saw it.

First one I received was A Woman Under the Influence (1974):

Quote:
Mabel, a wife and mother, is loved by her husband Nick but her madness proves to be a problem in the marriage. The film transpires to a positive role of madness in the family, challenging conventional representations of madness in cinema.
Starring Gena Rowlands and Peter Falk

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072417/

I just received Badlands (1973) starring Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek. This is one I'd heard of but haven't seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/

Also got Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) starring unknowns to me. One I hadn't heard of.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073540/

This has become a project of sorts. Old movies, new movies...there are so many and my list is getting longer and longer.

I was getting sick of getting the latest hilarious blockbuster only to find out it's mostly bathroom humor.

Now I'm getting into some nitty gritty psychological thrillers, wry comedies, intense dramas, and even some whimsical fun...by seeking out those movies that aren't necessarily given their due.

Of course, there are also the classic ones, and even in there I find movies I (shamefully for a 'movie buff') haven't seen.

It's so fun!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies