The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-26-2002, 02:00 AM   #1
Nothing But Net
Professor

Fark is getting lazy; Cellar rules!

'Toad, as a TotalFark member you know how lame it's gotten over there now, lately.

I would prefer to spend my money on the Cellar, where at least I feel like I'm getting my money's worth!

Set up a PayPal account, I will send $

- NBN
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 08:20 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I appreciate it sir. You da man. As yet though, I have no need for any payment to support this beast.

In theory the bandwidth is worth something, the electricity is worth something, and if I was hosting this somewhere like a co-location facility it would cost money. As it is, it's a lucky circumstance that I have the bandwidth to support my business.

But I suppose that, at any time, I would need to put together a system just to run the Cellar, and to support the bandwidth harder. In theory, I should pay the business for the stuff it takes to keep the system running. But my accountant wife hasn't insisted on it.

Also in theory, if people are going to "subscribe" my feeling is that they should get something for it. In the olden days the Cellar was set up like a cooperative -- everyone paid, everyone got access to email and Usenet, and everyone's pay paid for the costs with that.

OK. I'll set something up. Dammit.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #3
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
In the olden days the Cellar was set up like a cooperative -- everyone paid, everyone got access to email and Usenet, and everyone's pay paid for the costs with that.
Wow. You know, I'd plum *forgotten* that the original Cellar was subscrtiption-based. But it's true; I remeber how astounded I was when Bronwyn decided that even she was in favor of a paid subscription for such a geekly thing.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:38 AM   #4
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Wow. You know, I'd plum *forgotten* that the original Cellar was subscrtiption-based. But it's true; I remeber how astounded I was when Bronwyn decided that even she was in favor of a paid subscription for such a geekly thing.
You know, I wonder - is it "geeky" or "geekly" ? The -ly would normally indicate an adverb, which "geekly" is not in this case, but it could also be used as an adjective. Which is more correct, I wonder?
Old 04-26-2002, 11:10 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well, Fowler's Modern English Usage is strangely silent on this point! I would say geeky is more common ("Owning 3 original console arcade games of Space Invaders is very geeky"), but I like the somewhat archaic sound of "geekly," so I would use that too, although sparingly. Maybe to describe activities meant to be portrayed as typical of geeks. ("Tony geekly dressed up as his favorite anime character before attending the con.")
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 02:31 PM   #6
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Even then, wouldn't it be geekily? The word seems to flow much smoother (more smoothly??..) with the -ily suffix.
At least that's my opinion.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:55 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Reviving an old thread -- yknow why I haven't been able to set up a Paypal donation thingy?

In order to validate your bank account, Paypal actually puts two deposits into your account, of less than a dollar each. You then ask your bank how much those deposits were. Since only the account owner should be able to tell the amounts, when you tell Paypal the amounts of the deposits, you're verified.

I actually decided to do this last March, not for donations but to be able to skip my Visa card when making Paypal payments. So I started the process. Unfortunately I got busy with other things and wound up forgetting to ask the bank for the amounts. Now, I go back to the bank and ask for the amounts, and they can only tell me the total of the two deposits; they can't break it down into individual deposits. Paypal won't start the process over...

So I only know that Paypal put 81 cents into my account last March. So I wrote to their customer service and explained the situation, and since then.... nothing, in two weeks.

This must be the legendary Paypal customer service at work!
Old 05-30-2002, 12:05 PM   #8
Sal Paradise
Person Who Has Posted

I am very glad I found The Cellar. A couple of years ago I used to visit Fark daily and get involved with the comments. I still visit but the conversations there have become more and more worthless. Not a single post can be made, nor a debate finished without everyone just recycling the same tired statements.

If you don't like a policy of the government you are automatically a "bleeding heart" and/or "whiny liberal."

If you mention something that GW. Bush does and you think its wrong you are rained on with a volley of "Gore lost, get over it."

The recent prison debates at Fark were what brought me to my end. Seeing the majority of posters saying belligerent things like "once you go to jail you have no human rights" or "if you are dumb enough to end up in jail you deserve whatever happens."

The voice of intelligence on the Internet is being drowned out by the primal grunting of Archie Bunker and his white collar, cubicle dwelling emulators.

From now on I will leave those intellectual giants to their "boobies," oh and their lame attempt to capture a fun/frat boy image by obsessing over how great "beer" is.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic

You know, I wonder - is it "geeky" or "geekly" ? The -ly would normally indicate an adverb, which "geekly" is not in this case, but it could also be used as an adjective. Which is more correct, I wonder?
"Geekily" would be an adverb, as would "geekishly". Of course in science fiction fandom "fannish" has long been an adjective.

I'm hard put to defend "geekly", but it does seem to scan better for some reason. Perhaps theres a small push from "geekling" floating around in there somewhere.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 03:33 PM   #10
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Paradise
The recent prison debates at Fark were what brought me to my end. Seeing the majority of posters saying belligerent things like "once you go to jail you have no human rights" or "if you are dumb enough to end up in jail you deserve whatever happens."
I was listening to the This American Life radio show from April 19th. They talk about how the cops get people to confess to crimes they didn't do all the time, and how DNA evidence is proving that quite a lot of the people in prison now are actually innocent.

But too many people just assume that if you're a criminal that you're not really a person. It's pretty sad.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sal, welcome, pull up a chair. You're right - something like Fark can only support so many users before it turns into a sandbox.

It's gotten to the point where, when you see a headline, you already know what the replies are gonna be. And I don't think it's fair game for them to push all those newsmax and yellowtimes.org links, when everybody knows they're just flamebait.
Old 05-31-2002, 03:26 PM   #12
jaxomlotus
Questionist

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
It's gotten to the point where, when you see a headline, you already know what the replies are gonna be. And I don't think it's fair game for them to push all those newsmax and yellowtimes.org links, when everybody knows they're just flamebait.
That's why I stopped posting at fark so often actually. The headlines were not biased in that they would present equally inflammatory items from both sides of the coin. However I just had enough. The middle East flame war threads got the best of me
jaxomlotus is offline   Reply With Quote