The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-24-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Star Wars Galaxies and other alternatives to life

Yes, crack has a new name...Star Wars Galaxies.

Anyone else addicted to this strange, yet enticing phenomenon?

I have been playing for a couple of months now, and can't seem to pry myself from the computer at 3 am most mornings.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Never tried it. I'm more interested non-directional kinds of things where you can more or less hang out and do whatever the hell you want, as opposed to having an actual goal. But maybe I like the idea better than the reality (so to speak). I recently tried out activeworlds.com and thought it was lame. We'll see if there.com is any better, I signed up for that too.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:18 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A friend of mine is completely addicted to Second Life.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
dave

And Tony is about to become completely addicted to Rainbow Six 3.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #5
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Perth is waiting for Worlds of Warcraft.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #6
dave

perth's waiting for freaking Halo too. Jesus Christ I need to get to the Post Office tonight.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Ooh, that reminds me...we got Ssx3 this weekend...very, very nice! We got the XBox, and the graphics are really good. You can buy gear!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
dave

SSX has always been good fun. I have Tricky, and let me tell you, having them play "It's Tricky" whenever you get the uber-meter up high enough is about the best incentive to do so that I can imagine. SSX3 looks equally awesome. I'll undoubtedly purchase it eventually.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:43 PM   #9
perth
Strong Silent Type

SSX Ticky oozes style. SSX3 is technically a better game, but it somehow just doesn't match Tricky's style. I heartily recommend SSX3 though. Lots of fun.

I've been playing SWG as well, enjoying it more now that I'm actually grouping with people. But when World of Warcraft comes out, I really doubt I'll be able to find time to play SWG. Only time will tell.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
SouthOfNoNorth
Colloquialist

a buddy of mine had over three and a half months of real time on one of his everquest characters. a cooperative effort between his wife and his law school grades forced him to close his account. i myself *cough* never touch the stuff.

*tries to hide the track marks in his arm and mask his anticipation for everquest 2*
Old 11-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #11
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Only three and a half months? Boo..

Thats nothing.

My now abandoned Rogue has probably half a year and my warrior at least 4 monhts.

Yes. I'm talking about "Time Played" as in time I was activley playing the game.

What can I say? I was in one of the best guilds in the game (Not best of server, we had Afterlife (best guild in the world) on our server.

We played 5pm EST to Midnight. What this usualy meant was scouting started at 3pm. I got home from work at 6pm and showed up just in time for the first kill, we'd 'officialy' finish at midnight and hit unofficial targets till 2am.
Friday night was 5pm till 3am. One weekend day was always "RL time" as in you don't have to be on. But most were anyway. Mandatory weekend day was 3pm - midnight (except Saturdays which was often 3am)

Yet I can honestly say that I was never 'addicted'. Yeah I 'lived' in Everquest but only because I chose to not because I had to. I could always get up and walk away, in the end I did. I just didn't have time anymore and I was not interested in a lower style gameplay. As in a lower tier guild...so I quit. My char is rotting in the virtual GY of EQ chars.

I never miss EQ but I do miss some of the people that I used to play with. We had about 150 people in guild and I knew 30 like brothers. We always had a seperate channel for our little "inner circle" going. Damn I miss the people....

I figure if I ever fuck up RL I'll go back to EQ. I know some of my friends will still be there as they have made it clear that they never plan to leave the world of EQ as they just like it there better than in RL. I know some people will say "But it's not real! It's fake! It's imaginary! How can you dedicate so much time to something thats not real?"
The thing is...if it makes you happy, who cares if it's real or not? If there is a group of people who are always happy to see you and miss you when you're gone can they not be your family even if they aren't really 'there'?
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #12
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
Never tried it. I'm more interested non-directional kinds of things where you can more or less hang out and do whatever the hell you want, as opposed to having an actual goal. But maybe I like the idea better than the reality (so to speak). I recently tried out activeworlds.com and thought it was lame. We'll see if there.com is any better, I signed up for that too.
you can do that...in fact, its a lot like active worlds but with guns and critters. case, i'm hooked too...ask jinx. im on the bloodfin server "thornrim"

way cool game...indefinately deep.....do you have a mount yet? i hear vehicles are coming soon!

i went to bed at 2:45 last night.....don't tell jinx

i have a problem

hello, my name is lumberjim, and i'm a swg-holic
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 02:43 PM   #13
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

SWG never did anything for me.

I need raids. SWG doesnt' have raids. No epic encounters, no cool drops. No daggers the posession of which grants you instant respect in the Rogue circles...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:02 PM   #14
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I never tried EQ. SWG has been my first foray into the world of MMORPGS.

It boggles my mind how some people actually let it BECOME their life. I mean, I can't let myself become that absorbed, but I can see why and how they could. I actually get sick of it before it ever gets to that point.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:10 PM   #15
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by case
I actually get sick of it before it ever gets to that point.
...At 4 in the morning.

Its actually more fun to me that I get to play with Case, because we can just talk to each other about what we're doing, rather than having to type it all out and whatnot. If she wasn't playing though, I think I would have lost interest in the game when I got the Xbox.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote