The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Halloween Menu

We picked up our Halloween candy today at the store. A little early, yes, but I know from experience that by this Thursday our grocery store will be completely sold out of everything remotely good. And it's important that it be good, not so much "for the children," but because we usually get two, maybe three trick-or-treaters. It's got to be stuff we're willing to eat ourselves on November 1st.

My husband and I have radically different candy tastes, however. So I got Sour Skittles (in "fun pack" size, of course,) and he got Hershey's Take 5 bars, which I had never even heard of until I was served one on a plane recently.

What are you getting for the kiddos?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Nerds. Lots of Nerds. More Nerds than we can possibly give out. Probably enough to last until ohhhhh... about week before next Halloween.

Last edited by Beestie; 10-23-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ummmm...Sour Skittles. I just discovered those recently. Awsesome. May replace Twizzlers as my #1 choice of candy.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
seakdivers
Icy Queen

Oh geez - I need suggestions for Halloween as well. We live in Halloween Mecca in our town. The previous owners warned me that "this is a big neighborhood for Halloween".
Great.

Both my sister and I live on the same street - normally we have the Halloween party at her house..... this year we are having it at mine. So in a addition to the 40+ guests we will have, we will also have all of the trick-or-treaters at the door. You literally can't close the door - they are that thick.
Last year we had 261 kids between 6 - 10 pm. Believe me, We counted with a clicker thing.

So I am trying to be creative - I ordered a bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading Company.
<ok small admission - everybody wants to be the coolest house on the block and it's my turn this year... dammit I want to be the cool house>

We also provide the dinner for the 40+ guests (mostly family), but there's always the friends of the friends of the.....etc...... that show up. It's always interesting. So any recipes or meal ideas are welcome!!

Any ideas for neato stuff for Halloween parties?
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe you need this.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
mrnoodle
bent

I suggest turning off all the lights, unplugging the doorbell, taking an ambien and sleeping through the whole thing.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I suggest turning off all the lights, unplugging the doorbell, taking an ambien and sleeping through the whole thing.
Until now, I had no reason to dislike you, noodle!
Bad, bad boy! No treats for you!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the list, mrnoodle.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Welcome to the list, mrnoodle.
How can you say that, XOB? You know I pine for you. It's just that you've called me all kinds of mean names...like the 'C' word! Even so, I still wuv you!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I suggest going a few blocks over to whereever the little munchkins start their candy cruise, giving the homeowners on that block some candies with Ambien *in* them, and then enjoying the peace and quiet as all the little tykes get real tired and don't make it to your house.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I'm just amazed by the variety of candy that they have now. Target had over 3 aisles full!

The thing that really got me was the pre-filled bowl of candy - is it so hard open a bag of candy and pour it into a bowl? Come on!!!

I'm thinking of giving out small bags of Teddy Grahams or Quaker Granola bars - I won't feel too bad about eating the leftovers then.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

True, but the neighborhood kids will hate your house.

The only thing you could give out that would be worse would be those little boxes of raisins.

Nobody wants the raisins.

It's all about the chocolate, people!!!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 10-24-2005 at 02:58 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Because I am anti-social, and a poor neighbor who doesn't give a crap, my thought is that I must make up for it by presenting the young 'uns with their choice of full-size Snickers, full-size Twix or full-size Kit-Kats.

Only in this way can I be assured that the little knee-biters won't TP my house when they get older.

Most of them are really confused when they find they have to make a choice. It is made more difficult when an adult is embarrassed at how long they're lingering, and goads them on to "just pick one".
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
glatt

When I was a kid growing up, my parents would have two bowls of candy. One for the local kids, with full sized candy bars, and one with crappy candy for kids from off the street. If my mom didn't recognize a kid, they got the crappy candy. If she did, they got the good candy. One year, her system got screwed up when the kid across the street came over to the house with a group of friends from outside the neighborhood. She gave away all the good candy to that group, and had to give crap to some of the kids on the street who came later. The following year, she learned her lesson, and bought lots more good candy. It was great after that, because we had lots of leftover candy bars.

In my current neighborhood, we don't get many kids. Our house is run down and scary looking, so it gets passed by a lot. We have lots of candy left over. York peppermint patties this year.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote