The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #6991
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm really sorry about your Bro's dog though. And yes, the shelter should have told him the truth about the dog's heart problem.

That said: I find my hackles slightly raised by your assertion that people who breed dogs and sell the pups are immoral. If you genuinely believe that then you shouldn't own a dog. There would be very few dog breeders in the world if people like you and I didn't want to be dog owners. Most of the dogs in the shelters originate from dog breeders, good or bad.

I've had good and bad experiences of shelters and of breeders. My own preference is to buy from a reputable breeder. Why? Because I want my dog from early puppyhood and I also want to know exactly what that dog will turn into, in terms of size, fur type, exercise needs and likely temperament. I got Pilau from a breeder, and I did a hell of a lot of research first, both into breeds and into breeders.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #6992
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I seem to remember StaceyV leaving here because of an issue with a dog Nirv sold her.
Just saying.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #6993
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

*waves at Sundae*

HI SUNDAE!

To have a sundae on a saturday is special, indeed.

glad you're back!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #6994
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What's Upsetting Me Today

This July has been the suck.

Worst July Ever. And I hate July. Suspicious of it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #6995
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
I seem to remember StaceyV leaving here because of an issue with a dog Nirv sold her.
Just saying.
I don't know nuffink 'bout that. But we (the family) have been stung before with breeders. There are some nasty tricks employed by the less reputable ones. Such as over feeding the pups with high protein to encourage fast growth, so that they look like proper nice chunky pups. Tends to lead to serious joint problems from an early age.

One of the worst problems though, actually, with breeders, is that they tend to be breeding pedigree dogs and many breeds have serious health issues. With the best will in the world, some breeds are more problematic than others. Non-pedigree dogs are often a lot healthier.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #6996
Nirvana
Back in 10

Just to correct you Sundae, Stacey V was not here actively posting when I arrived, had not been for a couple of years. I came here to read posts I googled about her treatment of her poor puppy she called the "little Pisser"'when I arrived. Had I read her philosophy about how she treats animals prior to her getting one from me we would not be having this posting. Some people should not have animals.

Stacey's problem with a dog from me stemmed from her and young people like her expecting perfection in a live being. She gave her an unnecessary surgery to remove her front dew claws twice because the dog was so distressed by having it's "thumbs" removed at 6 months it ripped out the stitches. The hair never grew back on her front legs. Stacey had the opportunity to return the dog for a full refund and decided to keep her and bitch about it. If someone will not return the dog there is nothing to be done about it. Stacey was a know it all and probably still is.

Stacey was a mistake in my screening process. I don't believe she cares about her dogs only what she thinks they can do for her.

She has since posted on a public reproduction list that instead of taking a bitch to vet for a c section she tried to save money?? and use forceps to remove puppies which are not used on small dogs and ended up pulling off parts of the dogs foot/leg. Yes what a lovely home she was.

Had I seen MTP's post about her sister and I did not know them, I would not send a dog to them because their coping method is to not love a dog that is ill.

Shelter dogs can be fine pets, it is the expectation of perfect because one has paid I have a problem with. Heart disease in a dog can spring up quickly when valves wear out. Shelters cannot possibly screen clandestinely bred dogs for genetic defects.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #6997
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Non-pedigree dogs are often a lot healthier.
When you combine the problems and genetic defects of several breeds this is basically untrue and has seemed to play out in the case of the dog MTP's family adopted.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #6998
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

staceyv was insane from the git-go.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #6999
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
When you combine the problems and genetic defects of several breeds this is basically untrue and has seemed to play out in the case of the dog MTP's family adopted.
That's why I said 'often' rather than 'usually'. It all depends on the mix. There are some breeds of dog I just would not keep, even though I like them. Because I know that their breed is peculiarly prone to distressing genetic conditions. Much of it is because of the extreme breed standards imposed on these breeds in show circles. A situation that is thankfully changing, but which has left a legacy of problems.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #7000
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Oh You SPIT on her SOUL !!!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #7001
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
She was.

But that was part of her charm.

having said that, she was a bit weird about her dogs. I never understood what she wanted from them.

—James Barrie

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #7002
DanaC

Why the fuck did she have the dog's dew claws removed?
Old 07-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #7003
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Much of it is because of the extreme breed standards imposed on these breeds in show circles.
Breed standards can only be interpreted by the person that is reading them. They are not imposed by show dog breeders. It is the individual that can take a standard and use it to breed the extremes of a breed and certainly in the case of my breed Chihuahuas, I and most show breeders would rather die than breed teacups, blues, merles and over done heads, but they are the bread and butter of the back yard breeder.

Painting all with the same brush is never a good idea
Old 07-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #7004
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Why the fuck did she have the dog's dew claws removed?
Because someone told her that the dog could not win in the show ring without having its front dew claws removed. Never mind that I and my mentor who has bred over 300 champions and several Best In Shows between us have never removed the front dew claws on any of our dogs.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #7005
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

What's upsettng me today (and for the last week!!!):

ƒucking ants. ƒast, crazy little ƒuckers.

I want hit them all in their tiny little head with a tiny little ƒucking metal bar.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss