FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

It's Getting Ugly...

Hitler image used in Bush campaign Web ad

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...itler-ad_x.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Adolf Hitler's image has surfaced again in the White House race. President Bush's campaign contains online video, removed from a liberal group's Web site months ago and disavowed, that features the Nazi dictator.
The Bush Internet video, which was sent electronically to 6 million supporters, intersperses clips of speeches by Democrats John Kerry, Al Gore and Howard Dean with the footage of Hitler.

Democrats want the video pulled from the site. Campaign aides said it would remain.

Republicans had criticized the group MoveOn.org in January because it briefly posted an ad contest entry that linked Hitler and Bush. It showed images of Bush with text saying, "God told me to strike at al-Qaeda," before turning to images of Hitler with the words, "And then He instructed me to strike at Saddam." The submission ended with the words, "Sound familiar?" on a black and white screen.

The group later said the entry was in "poor taste" and pulled it from its site.

The 77-second video on the Bush-Cheney re-election site splices footage of Kerry, the presumptive nominee, and his 2004 rival Dean along with 2000 nominee Gore and film director Michael Moore. The spot calls them Kerry's "Coalition of the Wild-eyed." Clips of Hitler's image are seen throughout the spot.

"The use of Adolf Hitler by any campaign, politician or party is simply wrong," said Kerry's campaign manager, Mary Beth Cahill, who called on the GOP campaign to remove the Web video from its site.

"We're using the video from MoveOn.org to show our supporters the type of vitriolic rhetoric being used by the president's opponents and John Kerry's surrogates," said Scott Stanzel, a spokesman for the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign.

The online spot begins with clips of Gore assailing the Bush administration. "How dare they drag the good name of the United States of America through the mud of Saddam Hussein's torture prison," Gore shouts during a public speech.

It then cuts to an image of Hitler, followed Dean, Moore and Rep. Dick Gephardt, D-Mo., all bashing Bush. There are more clips of Hitler, Gore and then Kerry, before the screen cuts to the words, "This is not a time for pessimism and rage." Video images of Bush follow.

A disclaimer was added to the beginning of the Web spot on Saturday afternoon to explain that the video contains "remarks made by and images from ads sponsored by Kerry supporters." The disclaimer also accuses Kerry of failing to denounce those who have compared Hitler to Bush.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Amazing that that's considered by the Bush campaign to be a pro-Bush ad.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

All they have left is "Hey, he's not as bad as Hitler".
Old 06-28-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Yeah, but then he'll loose the Arab vote.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Bertolt Brecht taught us long ago the power of montage. Image association is the most powerful subliminal tool we have in the ad (propaganda) industry and to see it abused in this way makes me shiver. The danger of caricaturising one of history's greatest villains should not be underestimated. Come on Bush, this is 2004. Sickening.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Gomez da Killah
i'd rather be sleeping

http://www.takebackthemedia.com/bushnonazi.html

check this out, did a little research, and found that most of it was quite factual
Old 07-01-2004, 06:10 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I G Farben was the Halliburton of it's day.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:10 PM   #8
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I G Farben was the Halliburton of it's day.
"Arbeit macht frei," Bruce, and don't you forget it!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #9
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce

LMAO one little addition here Bruce............"yet"
slang is offline   Reply With Quote