The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #91
Ero
Musician

I'm brand new here and even I am bothered with the statements you make. You asked why? Well... I saw you didn't even took the time to read my last post on this topic where I explained in my best words why I think your vision is closed-minded. Take time to read it and you'll at least know why I think you've acted like a fool. I can't speak for the others 'cause i've only been here since... today.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #92
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICOTINEGUN
Are all of you drinking the same Koolaid? Or is this more of a cult thing? Someone, anyone, just give me this: explain what this mystic thing the Cellar is all about.
Is it a debate site? Is it a place for people to just hang out and chat? Seriously, what is the fucking deal here? This site was recommended to me specifically for the profound and meaningful discussion (no I'm not kidding.)
I get "dickhead, asshole, Nazi, I'll kick your ass, you're stupid, etc, etc." You people want to rumble or what? Are you all friends? Is this a social club? Please, explain it to me. Maybe I got the wrong idea about this place. Let me know, People. "Throw me a friggin bone here, People. I'm the boss. I need the info."
The Cellar is about you get what you give - kind of like life. When I first got on this board, I immediently jumped into a huge argument with everyone. That's what happens if you show up with an attitude and an unorthodox outlook. If you stick around, you may learn about the ignore feature and also begin to figure out that if you start calling people names, you'd better be prepared to get called names right back.

If you are going to take an extreme position, at the very least do it with wit and maybe even a couple of back-up cites for your opinion. Trying to bludgeon people over the head with insults will win you few adherents to your cause. If you look back over a thread and realize that you were being a whiney hippy or a belligerent soldier of fortune, it doesn't hurt to admit to this and make some sort of minimalist apology.

People here will actually sometimes respond intelligently if you post intelligently. They may very intelligently feed your personal sacred cow to the slaughterhouse, too.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #93
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Is it a debate site?
Yes
Quote:
Is it a place for people to just hang out and chat?
Yes.
Quote:
Are you all friends?
Yes, no, sort of. If you mean, in real life, some are some aren't.
Quote:
Is this a social club?
Yes.
Quote:
Please, explain it to me. Maybe I got the wrong idea about this place.
And maybe I've got the wrong idea about you. I've known perfectly nice people before who had trouble interacting with people.
Quote:
Seriously, what is the fucking deal here? This site was recommended to me specifically for the profound and meaningful discussion (no I'm not kidding.)
I'm not surprised. That's really what sets this place apart. However, it's a give and take. You've gotta give meaningful discussion to get it. Looking back at your post history, it looks like you started OK (though dangerously, with a poem), got wobbly with the blaming of PC on Clinton, and fell over when you got in a pissing match with Radar.

Pissing matches are for advanced Dwellars only.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #94
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Are all of you drinking the same Koolaid? Or is this more of a cult thing? Someone, anyone, just give me this: explain what this mystic thing the Cellar is all about.

--snip--

I get "dickhead, asshole, Nazi, I'll kick your ass, you're stupid, etc, etc." You people want to rumble or what? Are you all friends? Is this a social club? Please, explain it to me. Maybe I got the wrong idea about this place. Let me know, People. "Throw me a friggin bone here, People. I'm the boss. I need the info."

And since I'm one of the Family now, Radar enough with the private emails of you on the horse with the thing on your.....and the stuff on your ....I'm not interested.
Again with the insults... Short answer: you reap what you sow.

Quote:
Seriously, what is the fucking deal here? This site was recommended to me specifically for the profound and meaningful discussion (no I'm not kidding.)
Well, why don't you ask the person who made the recommendation? We're not hiding anything here, we haven't become something different in your presence than what we were before (and after, I reckon). We know *squat* about you, save what you've posted and we've read in the past couple of days. You're being treated accordingly.

You apparently know *squat* about us, too. But that simply can not be because you have so little to go on. More than 8000 threads and 20 times that number of posts and you've read how much? And from what you've read, how does it compare with the tenor of the discussions of which you've been a part? I see no inconsistency.

So if the profound and meaningful discussions aren't floating your boat, maybe you should consider the source of the recommendation. Maybe you've been punked! I would make the same recommendation, I have made the same recommendation, but only to people who would "get it". You have a lot of control over whether or not you're in that group. It's a self selecting group; are you in or are you out?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #95
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

<--wonders if NG has razor blades on his thumbnails
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #96
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

maybe if we stop feeding him he'll go away. It worked for that puny, mangy mutt that was hanging around my house last month.
What was this thread about anyway?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #97
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
maybe if we stop feeding him he'll go away. It worked for that puny, mangy mutt that was hanging around my house last month.
Urbane Guerrilla?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #98
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
Random Cellarite Fact: TW once challenged a dead woman to a staring contest. The corpse nearly won, until TW's famous humor made her laugh.
It’s called deadpan humor. Once you get them to smile, then slide them into a crematorium.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #99
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
maybe if we stop feeding him he'll go away...
Don't make him go away. The one benifit he has for me is that all this makes me feel better about the first time I entered the Cellar. Changing my member name after 15 or so posts, you would've thought I was the biggest assclown on the planet. I guess it can be worse. Thanks NIC.

The problem NIC is that you come across as combative right out of the chute. Before you get to know anyone, expose your personality to anyone here, you come across as angry and looking for a fight. People tend to forget that just because this is all done online and not in person, that social rules do not apply. It's like if you walked into a room full of people you hadn't met before, and before you even introduced yourself, you announced, "What dipshit here believes we ought to close the borders." You don't know who your talking to. You dont know what race the people here are.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #100
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
call him uneducated
wow, NG - once again you've managed to skim through a post, pull out only one sentence, filter it through your delusions and go off on a tangent because you missed the point of the post. good job.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:51 PM   #101
marichiko

Quote:
Lookout, read between the lines, Sister. That is the best you Dwellers can do? "Oooh, Oooh, call him stupid, and a bullet sponge. Ooh, Ooh, call him uneducated. Hmmm, what else do the Demoncrats do, hmmmmm. Ooh, call him a racist, yeah."

Pffffffft! Lookout, he thinks you're a democrat! Damn, boy, I always knowed you wuz really a closet Liberal!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #102
lookout123

ah, hell - i'm a little a this and a little a that. that is what happens when you think all the parties are the devil's concubines.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #103
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Smile Bored, Confused, Spiteful, Homesick, Mostly Bored

With the Mexico thing, I don't hate the people. I am angry with the fact that tax payers money paves their way. I wanted to get a feel for what others think about the situation. The fact is, I talk about it with people here and they don't have a clue as to what it costs our nation. It's very aggrivating.
I know if we all met in a room without having any idea who anyone was not one of you would ever guess I was the Gun. I'm sure I would never guess who Radar was, or even Lookout. I'm not the Devil. I'm bored out of my fucking mind. I miss my family. I am profoundly upset with the way things are going in America and it seems the only way to wake people up is to make them mad as hell.
I am looking for the possibility of creating real solutions to the problems at hand. We need change. We won't have it until enough people get together and do something about it. Obviously, you guys don't feel the same about the immigration problem as I do.
As far as citing my sources, I'm not one to make up information and put it out into the ozone for all to read. If I write something that is fiction, you will know by the tone of the piece. I'm not a Hippy by any means. The hippy culture had the right idea with loving people, but soon realized they needed money and the system to survive. I'm all for treating everyone the same. I don't care if you are gay, straight, black, white, Christian, Muslim, tall, short, green, have two heads, or even if you are Democrat. What pisses me off though, is when things are shoveled down my throat, like paying for other's way.
Additionally, some of the stuff you people say makes me laugh my ass off. Lumberjim wrote up a serious little ditti for me and then added "don't forget to eat a dick." That's funny. I'll drop the razorblades, Brother, but please give me something interesting to talk about-I deal with data all day. I deal with desert camo ALLLLLLL DAY. I want intelligent conversation. Don't take everything I say to heart. Of course I don't want Radar to climb into the tub and shoot himself. I don't know him at all.
Anyway, I'm here to stay. If I can't get anything meaningful to talk about in the real world, I'm going to find it anywhere I can.
Have a great day, People.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 AM   #104
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Thumbs up Lumberjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
<--wonders if NG has razor blades on his thumbnails
Should I begin with the enormous one on top of your shoulders and then use the one between your legs as a toothpick?

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM   #105
lookout123

Quote:
Obviously, you guys don't feel the same about the immigration problem as I do.
and that statement right there is what we are talking about. you obviously haven't spent much time browsing through old posts because if you had you would realize there are a number of us who are extremely concerned about illegal immigration. what makes the cellar different than most boards is that, for the most part, we try to avoid pissing on each other's shoes while discussing issues. insults out. rational post in. your condescension is what ignited the little shitstorm around you.

something to keep in mind in the cellar (and life, general): no matter how smart, good, educated, funny you think you are, someone in here is more of those things. that is life. stick around awhile, quit trying to talk down to people and you may just realize that there is a lot of knowledge traded in the cellar.